Reck needs your help :)

Best answers
Hey

Well some of you may know about HL alphamapping, specially on trees.

Right now im trying to make a tree to go into hl, i've used masked alphamapping, but when i try to set the last colour in photoshop to black (because thats what i want to alphamap out), and save, re-open, it turns back to white, can anybody please help me?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well as i do remember you only need to use the basic way of doing alpha maps... skin + black and white skin of it. may if you got the wrong seeting or else ask gir or somebody advanced in 3dsm ...

then compile it ._."

you tried that?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
try it with 0 0 255 (pure blue) instead of black. Also dont forget to set the transparent flag for that uvmap.

Best answers
Tryforce said:
well as i do remember you only need to use the basic way of doing alpha maps... skin + black and white skin of it. may if you got the wrong seeting or else ask gir or somebody advanced in 3dsm ...

then compile it ._."

you tried that?
HL has like nothing to do with 3dsm, the alphamapping methods work differntly. In HL you can have..

1. addictive: which alphas out every black thing it sees, i think you can only use it for like auras and stuff like that with black and white colours

2. masked: which alphas out the last colour in the pallete of the 8 bit bmp file

HL does not have separate alphamapped files, they are in the original textures themselves but as separate colours.

i am using the 2nd method and i can not set the colour to black in photoshop, this has nothing to do with compiling, its to do with photohop, i'll try do what dj ready said

edit: still doesnt work :(

if anybody can help can you make it so this texture is suitable for masked? thanks

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/4802/leaves8xe.png

btw save it as 256 8 bit bitmap and host it somehwere else, imageshack turns it into png :(

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
only 32 bit textures can use an alpha channel.

technical:

24bit texture = 8bit red, 8bit green, 8bit blue.
+8bit grayscale or alpha = 32bit texture.

i believe only .tga and .png can handle 32bit alpha textures.

im not sure how the shaders work in half life to be honest, im more proficient with quake 3 shaders =/

Best answers
well i mite have said it wrong, like, you only get 256 colours in a normal HL texture, and you can set the pallete in photoshop, HL takes the last colour in the palete of this 256 texture and alphas it out, im a lil confused :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom