Reason to why not porting to source?

Best answers
First off all, I really appreciate how you guys sticked with the HL1 engine and pushed the mod into new limits. I love the HL1 engine and would prefer it over source any day.

Anyway, I was having a conversation with my friend today and wondered why didn't you guys ported ESF to source and continued working on it with that. He pointed out that when source came out, ESF was fairly basic and could have been ported over to the new source engine. "It would look better and they'd havew more options with Source though," he said. I argued that there was plenty of coding already written for the HL1 engine, and would have taken them a lot of time to change to a new engine and learn how to use it.

He also says, "But its kind of pointless...when they're trying to improve the game but they won't change engines to improve it further..."

So I would really like to hear from the ESF team to why you guys didn't port it over to source please.

LoLz!!! :rolleyes:

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we moved to source, we'd basically have to start from scratch. We're never going to move to source. Ever.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Far too much work. 1.3 will be a very good looking game anyways.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Far too much work. 1.3 will be a very good looking game anyways.
That's for damn sure. There's a lot to be said at the moment for how the engine has graphically been pushed beyond expectation. Bloom, reflective water, player shadows, bump mapping, weather effects...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we moved to source, we'd basically have to start from scratch. We're never going to move to source. Ever.
No, the team would have to modify a number of things, but they wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess the sounds and some sprites could be kept, but you'd have to redo all the maps, models and the code would need a ton of work.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maps and models are easy to port and usually only require some modifications. Coding on the other hand is probably the most labor extensive of the three. But, you wouldn't need to start from scratch or redo the entire thing.

Best answers
Basically we're not interested in redoing the same stuff in source. It'd be a ton of work and very boring to do. As for not porting models/maps, I don't think any of us would be satisfied with running a hl2 mod with hl1 quality maps and models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom