Reason For Recent YouTube Video Deletions

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to a recent statement on Yahoo News, executives from YouTube.com will soon be meeting with a group of Japanese media firms in response to a letter from the JASRAC regarding copyright infringement. The letter complained that YouTube allowed users to illegally post and view copyrighted TV shows, movie clips and music videos.

YouTube removed about 30,000 videos from its website after receiving a demand in October from the Japanese media group and 22 other firms, major film studios, and web rivals such as Yahoo Japan Corp..

Anime News Network also adds, "FUNimation has also contacted YouTube and is utilizing YouTube's Content Verification Tool and has submitted over 2,000 videos for removal because of invalid copyright permssion," says Senior Brand Manager Lance Heiskell.

Wheather you're a fan of YouTube or not, it's no question that the site offers more than it's share of illegal Dragonball themed videos, episodes, movies, and fansubs.
Source: http://www.myfavoritegames.com

YouTube policy does not allow content to be uploaded by anyone not permitted by United States copyright law to do so, and the company frequently removes uploaded infringing content. Nonetheless, a large amount of it continues to be uploaded. Generally, unless the copyright holder reports them, YouTube only discovers these videos via indications within the YouTube community through self-policing. The primary way in which YouTube identifies the content of a video is through the search terms that uploaders associate with clips. Some users have taken to creating alternative words as search terms to be entered when uploading specific type of files (similar to the deliberate misspelling of band names on MP3 filesharing networks). For a short time, members could also report one another. The service offers a flagging feature, intended as a means for reporting questionable content, including that which might constitute copyright infringement. However, the feature can be susceptible to abuse; for a time, some users were flagging other users' original content for copyright violations, purely out of spite. YouTube proceeded to remove copyright infringement from the list of offenses flaggable by members.

On October 5, 2006 the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC) had their copyright complaints regarding Japanese media on YouTube finalized. Thousands of media from popular Japanese artists (such as Tokyo Jihen and various other music including Jpop) were removed.

When CBS and Universal Music Group signed agreements to provide content to YouTube on October 9, they also announced that they would use new technology that will help them find copyrighted material and remove it.

TV journalist Robert Tur filed the first lawsuit against the company in summer 2006, alleging copyright infringement for hosting a number of famous news clips without permission. The case has yet to be resolved.

On November 9th, 2006, Artie Lange said his lawyer was in talks with YouTube, after finding his entire DVD, It's the Whiskey Talking, available for free on their site. Artie said he will either demand money from them, or else he will sue.

Content owners are not just targeting YouTube for copyright infringements on the site, but they are also targeting third party websites that link to infringing content on YouTube and other video sharing sites. For example QuickSilverScreen vs. Fox Daily Episodes vs. Fox and Columbia vs. Slashfilm. The liability of linking remains a grey area with cases for and against. The law in the US currently leans towards website owners being liable for infringing links although they are often protected by the DMCA providing they take down infringing content when issued with a takedown notice. However, a recent court ruling in the US found Google not to be liable for linking to infringing content (Perfect 10 v. Google, Inc.).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube#Copyright_infringement

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But it's still illegal.

You'd have to be ignorant if you didn't see this coming.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ever since Google bought Youtube, they've been getting demands to remove copyrighted material left and right.

Best answers
When a big company with lot of money, like Google buys something like that, of course everybody wants their share of the profit. Altough this will lower the popularity of Youtube, a lot.

Best answers
**** YOU TUBE , i mean there are hundred thousands of amv's out there and i belive more than 50% of the ppl on you tube visit it because of dbz
Hah, you must be dreaming, what about Love Hina, Yu YU Hakusho, Inuyasha, Efiean lied, Rah Xepon, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach......etc? Those are just a FEW of the shows that are eons better then DBZ.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can we please not make this an anime debate?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's make it a chocolate debate! White chocolate is the best!

Best answers
Can we please not make this an anime debate?
Too late it has already started. Run Away! (Midori no Hibi ownz!)

Btw, How are they going to prevent uploading illegal videos such as Anime or Movies? Or are they just gonna check out each and one of the uploaded videos and delete them, if needed. Theyre gonna need lot of people for that (Nice job watching videos all day long, and getting paid while doing it).

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too late it has already started. Run Away! (Midori no Hibi ownz!)

Btw, How are they going to prevent uploading illegal videos such as Anime or Movies? Or are they just gonna check out each and one of the uploaded videos and delete them, if needed. Theyre gonna need lot of people for that (Nice job watching videos all day long, and getting paid while doing it).
They have the technology to do it if you read what I quoted.

Hah, you must be dreaming, what about Love Hina, Yu YU Hakusho, Inuyasha, Efiean lied, Rah Xepon, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach......etc? Those are just a FEW of the shows that are eons better then DBZ.
Nobody cares which anime is better. You and Lionheart make it seem that YouTube is mainly used for anime, no, it's not. Anime is one of the big things on YouTube, but it's obviously not the biggest concern right now.

Best answers
The primary way in which YouTube identifies the content of a video is through the search terms that uploaders associate with clips. Some users have taken to creating alternative words as search terms to be entered when uploading specific type of files (similar to the deliberate misspelling of band names on MP3 filesharing networks). For a short time, members could also report one another. The service offers a flagging feature, intended as a means for reporting questionable content, including that which might constitute copyright infringement.
Oh there it is. If i had taken the time and read it all, i might have noticed it... Oh well its nice to know

Best answers
The actual technology to prevent infringing material is called "watermarking" I do believe. They take a 'screen shot' of the checksum of the file, as well as a few arbitrary screen shots of random frames.

When the server is uploading a file, it will check the content against the watermarks, making sure the checksum does not equal that of a watermark, and after this, they also check the frames of a video against the arbitrary captures.

This causes for slightly longer upload times, but causes for a much more secure process. Either way, the only reason companies are actually pursuing these lawsuits is because Youtube got bought by Google, and so the website that was worth almost nothing is now worth billions; this is similar to the Carmack's Reverse scenario...

A Creative Labs employee patented the theoretical idea of Z-Fail method for shadow calculation -- but didn't announce, mention, or make any note at all that they owned said patent. John Carmack, chief software architect of Id Software independently discovered the technology (in practice; Creative only theorized it), and spoke of it on community forums. While Carmack is the one who actually got it to work, Creative Labs still owned the patent. Because of this, Id Software was forced to add support for EAX/EAX 2 technology into the DOOM 3 engine.

Likewise, this content has been on Youtube for years, but Youtube's only getting sued now because Google owns it, and now people can collect money.

Youtube sucks, but, so does holding back on suing until you can gain profit from something. And considering the companies suing Youtube, it's like beating a five-year old in an arm wrestle -- sure, you'll get a win, just don't expect any high-fives or congratulations afterward.

Best answers
Arh, this really crushes my heart . Youtube used to be the place to go. But now...*Sigh* well I dunno. But hey, if YouTube don't remove them, they'll get busted themselves. So they have to do there job. Lots of AMVs' etc will get removed, it's sad >_< Ahh well, it was fun while it lasted.

-GuZzie

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always thought Youtube was kinda lame, and any illegal downloading going away is always good news to me.

I'm glad this technology exists because it is long overdue that video pirating gets cut down on.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Except no one is pirating off of YouTube. They're watching it on the site; not keeping it or selling it. If watching an anime music video is causing Funimation to lose money, then perhaps Funimation is doing something horribly horribly wrong or whoever is making the videos is amazing.

That said, this doesn't stop pirating. Nothing will.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, you raise a good point. I mean granted, there are people who watch whole episodes of shows, etc. I'm not down with that. But these anime music videos aren't really hurting Funi. It's not like people watch that instead of DBZ. In fact you'd think watching a good AMV would make you want to go watch the show afterward.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I go to YouTube when I want to see a Family Guy montage (The Adam West one is Hilarious), or clips of The Colbert Report or The Daily Show.

Yeah, I agree with taking down complete episodes, but bits and pieces of episodes of anything don't hurt anyone. I completely understand why Artie would be upset (although I'm sure he got a ****load of money from Sirius). If they go crazy and start removing clips of comedy shows and **** like that, then they're just going overboard.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's make it a chocolate debate! White chocolate is the best!
White chocolate shouldn't even count as a chocolate. It's like a bar of sugar. Now dark chocolate, there's a chocolate....

While I don't see how a couple AMV's have all their panties in a bunch, I'm not about to cry over them being taken down. Actually, I may have a sandwich to celebrate the internet being a better place without them.

Edit: Mmmm... sandwich...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care about AMVs since they're all basically the same (linkin park music played over random scenes), but where does it end? If something as retarded and innocent as an AMV is being forced out, what's next?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I always found YouTube to be very convenient if I missed a certain episode of something, want to see a certain scene in a cartoon, or whatever. Watching numerous complete episodes without ever actually buying the product (if even easily available) is illegal, even if there are those who find it convenient. I guess saying that, watching one episode of something falls under that, but why would I want to go out and purchase a whole DVD/Set or wait for a rerun when I can get what I need from YouTube.

And it is a shame that more companies are suing YouTube after google purchased it. It's not like any copyrighted material on the site got any more or less illegal when the purchase was made.

White chocolate shouldn't even count as a chocolate. It's like a bar of sugar. Now dark chocolate, there's a chocolate....
If chocolate is always good, that means everything that has to do with chocolate must legally taste good. Therefore, Dark Chocolate is not a chocolate >=(.

Now milk chocolate...=D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom