Status
Not open for further replies.
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reuters said:
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Scientists have found a cluster of spruces in the mountains in western Sweden which, at an age of 8,000 years, may be the world's oldest living trees.

The hardy Norway spruces were found perched high on a mountain side where they have remained safe from recent dangers such as logging, but exposed to the harsh weather conditions of the mountain range that separates Norway and Sweden.

Carbon dating of the trees carried out at a laboratory in Miami, Florida, showed the oldest of them first set root about 8,000 years ago, making it the world's oldest known living tree, Umea University Professor Leif Kullman said.

California's "Methuselah" tree, a Great Basin bristlecone pine, is often cited as the world's oldest living tree with a recorded age of between 4,500 and 5,000 years.

Two other spruces, also found in the course of climate change studies in the Swedish county of Dalarna, were shown to be 4,800 and 5,500 years old.

"These were the first woods that grew after the Ice Age," said Lars Hedlund, responsible for environmental surveys in the county of Dalarna and collaborator in climate studies there.

"That means that when you speak of climate change today, you can in these (trees) see pretty much every single climate change that has occurred."

Although a single tree trunk can become at most about 600 years old, the spruces had survived by pushing out another trunk as soon as the old one died, Professor Kullman said.

Rising temperatures in the area in recent years had allowed the spruces to grow rapidly, making them easier to find in the rugged terrain, he added.

"For quite some time they have endured as bushes maybe 1/2 meter tall," he said.

"But over the past few decades we have seen a much warmer climate, which has meant that they have popped up like mushrooms in the soil."
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSL1190625120080411?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

I'm surprised that these trees haven't been cut down yet. I'm also surprised that these 8000 year old trees are older than the Universe.

Forgive me.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZOMG TAKE THE BAIT J-DUDE! TAKE IT!

"These were the first woods that grew after the Ice Age,"
orly

Although a single tree trunk can become at most about 600 years old, the spruces had survived by pushing out another trunk as soon as the old one died, Professor Kullman said.
That's about 13 times this tree miraciously grew over itself. Quite the achievement.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZOMG TAKE THE BAIT J-DUDE! TAKE IT!

orly

That's about 13 times this tree miraciously grew over itself. Quite the achievement.
I don't think J-Dude is part of that group.

I wonder how old the trees were in the New World before we deforested most of the country. I know we definitely had some huge trees since a single log was large enough to be used as the mast of a ship.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Take that religion.
I meant exactly what I said with that statement, but I don't want that to be the theme of this thread. I'm not saying ignore that statement, but talk about the trees too o_O.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why is this a significant discovery?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's about as significant as finding a really old tortoise. It isn't earth-shattering, but it's still neat. I mean, those trees predate human civilization.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, wow, I didn't even think of religion.

I just thought we could get some weather results from the trees rings or something. A link to the past, if you will. But since they were isolated, I don't know how much good it'll do.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
there are some things that corespond in religion with the earth that u guys just dont understand, so dont say that something that dates from 6000 years or something abbout the dinosaurs cuz if u know some facts it ultimatly proves religion is right,
and abbout that tree, there are more unbeliveable things that the earth has than a old tree

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there are some things that corespond in religion with the earth that u guys just dont understand, so dont say that something that dates from 6000 years or something abbout the dinosaurs cuz if u know some facts it ultimatly proves religion is right,
and abbout that tree, there are more unbeliveable things that the earth has than a old tree
The trees are 8000 years old. Dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago. The first known human civilizations (Sumer, for example) sprouted up around 7400 years ago. No one is saying this is the most fantastic thing ever. I'm just saying, "Wow. That tree is old. Older even than the age some people claim the Universe to be".

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Can you name some of those facts? I'm just curious as to what you're referring to.

This is a pretty neat discovery. I knew trees could live over 1000 years, but 8000 is something way beyond what I had in mind when I learned that fact. Wow.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I've learned that things arent so black and white as reports can make them out to be.. same with science and popular knowledge ^_^.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=_7ahPjiwpkU"]YouTube - YEC Argument - Oldest Tree Is 4300 Years Old[/ame]

This vid could pluck some credibility from that report

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-zHSEdK0hT8"]YouTube - Evolution exposed - The Young Age of the Earth Proved part 1[/ame]

The reaction from the "Scientific Community" to his findings
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=0tGNn0JH1jI&feature=related"]YouTube - Evolution exposed - The Young Age of the Earth Proved part 2[/ame]

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since when is Jinx a creationist?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Dzamija and Nixanthros, if u woldv chagend ur opinion maybe i woldv told u, but i dont tend to start huge discutions and explications with the end result 0..., wana find out? serch for youreself,

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you read my post, you'll notice I only mentioned what is considered to be scientific fact, and my observation at the very end. I didn't state my opinion on the "Young Earth" scenario. If you're unable or unwilling to speak your mind because you know other people won't agree with you, that's perfectly fine. Silly, but fine. But don't for a second think that you're somehow punishing us by keeping us in the dark about "the truth" or whatever it is you may believe, but are unwilling to openly speak about.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Dzamija and Nixanthros, if u woldv chagend ur opinion maybe i woldv told u, but i dont tend to start huge discutions and explications with the end result 0..., wana find out? serch for youreself,
You just proved that you were lying about your 'facts'. Nice.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or, since you made the claim that there is evidence, you could prove it.

I'm pretty sure the Dinosaur-filled Earth they teach you in Kindergarten is enough proof to me that Earth wasn't magically formed 6,000 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom