Real Cell Shading

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huh 0_0? Is THAT ESF??? Dude, if it is, then you've just solved an age old problem! Kudos to you!

Well, I think that Valve should have made the HL code backwards compatible. It would have been an awesome feature. Take your HL mods and convert the coding etc. to HL2 form. God, that would be sooo sweet and would let this game break SO much new ground.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont think its ESF. I think its Final Power where is also on HL1 :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my god, how do you get fooled upon it -_-

nway my old friend tridan was a guy who did loads of Cellshading model edits for esf, almost never released though. he Simply uses some tools on ms3d like fatboy, and a 3 colored b&w inverted map, you get this effect like in the pic above, but its almost impossible to play with that online.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But from the looks it looks different then "faking" Cel-Shading with Milkshape etc.
Cause when faking Cel-Shading in Ms3D you usually see some cut out black lines. And no shadows. :/
Plus his FPS are at 60

Best answers
Yepp its FP code just hadn't had a model...the cel-shading is done per code don't cause lags(it's made clientside) and works with every playermodel. Just wanted to show that cel-shading iss possible without the faking things in ms3d.
And i really don't know why everyone says : Umm that would cause lags...i thing you only got lags when your connection to the server is bad(high latency)Sure you would also get lags when there are to much graphical things but then you would have a framerate of below 10..and i don't think anyone wants to play with 10 fps or less^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would like that if someone *points at Ryokeen* made some extra dll (like the bloom dll where can be used for all HL Games) for some extra enjoyment :p

Best answers
Dude you're really fast..will try that but don't think that's possible because it's not an fullscreen effekt like the bloom.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im not fast i just was at the right time here to click^^
Well would be nice if you could pack some nice adjustable FX/Shaders into an nice dll

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyway, I doubt that the team will add Cel-Shading, it will take too much time to do, plus there's no point to having it, ESF looks good without Cel-Shading. Cel-Shading does affect system performance, especially since Goldsrc wouldn't know how to handle it properly, so a lot of changes to the engine would have to be made.

Best answers
Hmm..implementing cel-shading isn't that hard , rendering the outlines use a simple pixel and vertexshader and you're done...anyway i just saw that there where some disussions about real cel-shading where most peoples just said : No it's not possible. I wanted to show that it is. But i must sai Esf should stay without cel-shading...it just don't fit esf(or at least make make it as an option)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ryokeen said:
Hmm..implementing cel-shading isn't that hard , rendering the outlines use a simple pixel and vertexshader and you're done...anyway i just saw that there where some disussions about real cel-shading where most peoples just said : No it's not possible. I wanted to show that it is. But i must sai Esf should stay without cel-shading...it just don't fit esf(or at least make make it as an option)
You would have to make a number of modifications to the Goldsrc engine to get Cel-Shading to work properly.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
yes, its actually called goldsource / goldsrc.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fact is most of the skins are done. They'd all be for nothing if this went through (which it will not, ever.)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
wheres_warren said:
The fact is most of the skins are done. They'd all be for nothing if this went through (which it will not, ever.)
Don't worry this will never happen with esf, it would mean to much work.

Best answers
Why would all the skins for nothing ?(or do you mean if esf would be recoded on another engine ?)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cause the current skins arnt cell shading compatible. They would have to be redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom