Rate my Computer Help...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok so i went through and was customizing a computer from dell, and i was wondering what you guys thought about the specs. was fairly cheap, 2015 +tax.

what do you dudes think, any suggestions, or problems, i picked a small HD because, well, i dont plan on having an insane ammount of crap on this computer. and i can always just buy a bigger one if i need to.

----

Date 5/23/2006 3:16:26 PM Central Standard Time
Catalog Number 29 Retail 19
Catalog Number / Description Product Code SKU Id
XPS 400:
Pentium? D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB) S820VH [222-1486] 1
Operating System:
Genuine Windows? XP Media Center Edition 2005 WMCE [412-0688][412-0721][420-4927][420-5460][420-5476][420-5585][420-5924][463-2282][464-8764] 11
Video Cards:
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX X1900 [320-4796] 6
Physics Accelerator:
AGEIA? PhysX? physics accelerator PHYSX [320-4786] 200
Memory:
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs 2GB52 [311-5116] 3
Hard Drives:
160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache 160S [341-3295] 8
CD or DVD Drive:
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive DVDCDR [313-4136][420-5781][420-5787] 16
Floppy Drive and Media Reader:
No Floppy Drive Included NFD [341-2457] 10
Modem:
56K PCI Data Fax Modem DFAX [313-3840] 14
Monitors:
FEATURED UPGRADE!! 19 inch E196FP Analog Flat Panel E196FU [465-0609] 5
Sound:
Sound Blaster? X-Fi? XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby? Digital 5.1 XFI [313-3773] 17
Speakers:
Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer A525 [313-3807] 18
Keyboard:
Dell USB Keyboard EK [310-5324] 4
Mouse:
Dell Optical USB Mouse OM [310-4037]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally wouldn't buy a pc from a oem, i'd build it myself (or if your not tech savy, a family relative or friend). The only thing I would worry about is the processor bottlenecking the X1900XTX at the clock speed it's running at (but knowing me personalyl I would oc it because I can).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bapplebo said:
Get nVIDIA.
This is not a fanboi style comment, but nvidia is not capable of HDR + AA in some games at the moment, such As Splinter Cell: Chaos Theroy. Plus, compared to the 7900 series, the design is a bit more effiecent, so that's why I will reccomend ATI over nvidia at this point in time. Nvidia however performs better in Opengl games, but not by a noticeable huge margian to make any difference to the user (it won't lag to a pile of crap in comparision).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, great, looks like you know what you want. This will make your trip to [insert computer wholesaler here] all the easier. It's nice of them to help you figure out what you wanted in a computer, free of charge, but you aren't going to pay them to do all the fun of building it, are you?

Oh, and get a good mouse if you plan on playing ESF. I made that mistake and now, with the settings I play on, the smallest bit I can move my mouse is about 1 cm on screen. Damn having never heard of ESF 3 years ago!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Hey, great, looks like you know what you want. This will make your trip to [insert computer wholesaler here] all the easier. It's nice of them to help you figure out what you wanted in a computer, free of charge, but you aren't going to pay them to do all the fun of building it, are you?

Oh, and get a good mouse if you plan on playing ESF. I made that mistake and now, with the settings I play on, the smallest bit I can move my mouse is about 1 cm on screen. Damn having never heard of ESF 3 years ago!
I thought you hated dell.......

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's nice of them to help you figure out what you wanted in a computer, free of charge, but you aren't going to pay them to do all the fun of building it, are you?
By "them," I mean Dell.

Best answers
Looks great man, go get that beast. Oh, and I noticed that you got that PhysX accelerator, I heard that thing is awesome, really helps out your video card.

I Have a 3 small questions (not trying to hi-jack the thread Zero)

1)Would a PhysX accelerator help out my X300SE dramatically, or not really?

2)Would a PhysX accelerator dramatically improve gameplay.

3)And would it benifit higher end videocards or lower end videocards?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
This is not a fanboi style comment, but nvidia is not capable of HDR + AA in some games at the moment, such As Splinter Cell: Chaos Theroy. Plus, compared to the 7900 series, the design is a bit more effiecent, so that's why I will reccomend ATI over nvidia at this point in time. Nvidia however performs better in Opengl games, but not by a noticeable huge margian to make any difference to the user (it won't lag to a pile of crap in comparision).
Because having an X1900XT that can do HDR+AA at 20 frames per second is just so much better.
Walmart Security said:
1)Would a PhysX accelerator help out my X300SE dramatically, or not really?
No.
Walmart Security said:
2)Would a PhysX accelerator dramatically improve gameplay.
Not from what I've seen so far.
Walmart Security said:
3)And would it benifit higher end videocards or lower end videocards?
I'd say it'd be the opposite. And as such, a higher end video card would benefit it more than a lower end one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
So dont waste my money on one, atleast not until I get a higher end card?
They really don't look too promising at all, really. But, if they end up getting any better at all, I'd definitely wait for a better video card.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PhysX cards actually -LOWER- your framerate while the higher-quality physics are enabled. They will make things look pretty, but slow down the game.

I would -NOT- recommend getting one.

Edit: Why the hell didn't it show up? Argh!

I meant to say, neither ATI nor Nvidia's cards support DirectX10/HDCP yet. You'll need to get a new one to play "the latest games" eventually--so if you're going to plop down $400-600 for a top-of-the-line-card, I'd wait until they finally release DX10/HDCP cards.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
PhysX cards actually -LOWER- your framerate while the higher-quality physics are enabled. They will make things look pretty, but slow down the game.

I would -NOT- recommend getting one.
Hah, yea. I read about that in the GRAW thing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Because having an X1900XT that can do HDR+AA at 20 frames per second is just so much better.
O RLY?. It is going to come down to the game, the resolution, the amount of aa/af used & other hardware components as to what performance will be like at these settings.
Link said:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i thought i read somewhere that radeons were more towards "beauty" and nvdia was more towards speed, but not by much

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
O RLY?. It is going to come down to the game, the resolution, the amount of aa/af used & other hardware components as to what performance will be like at these settings.
You know I was talking about the games where nVidia can't at the moment. Farcry, for example, has horrendous performance with antialiasing and anistropic filtering enabled on ATi cards, which is one of the games ATi boasted about.

That was the average frames per second, which means there were some above it and some way below it. Of course "it is going to come down to the game, the resolution, the amount of aa/af used & other hardware components (lol, considering HDR + AA is entirely VPU bottlenecking) as to what performance will be like at these settings."

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
You know I was talking about the games where nVidia can't at the moment. Farcry, for example, has horrendous performance with antialiasing and anistropic filtering enabled on ATi cards, which is one of the games ATi boasted about.

That was the average frames per second, which means there were some above it and some way below it. Of course "it is going to come down to the game, the resolution, the amount of aa/af used & other hardware components (lol, considering HDR + AA is entirely VPU bottlenecking) as to what performance will be like at these settings."
It's nice to have the option though. If I can play at these settings on good hardware, and not lag up so much or hardly lag then I will paly at these settings.

Well I guess if you like 1024 x 768, then that'll be perfect for you! =) ~Smith|

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom