Rapes, killings hit Katrina refugees in New Orleans

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
found something interesting

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where
On earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a
drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do
like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then
but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this
storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know
how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps.
Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New
Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there
weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important
construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the
clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out.
Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter
and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percentof New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people
On their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing – NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast
are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore

Best answers
wow i agree with da guy if this were true (becos i dont reali noe if this is true or not) so if it is then bush should do something about it immediatley ppl are home less and hungry many other ppl are dieing too :\

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was wondering when Michael Moore was going to make an appearance -_-...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the most controvercial (and probably true) thing ive seen so far on the news, is that not just an english reporter, but a politician also, said:

"its chaos, if a black person is taking things, its called looting, if a white guy does, its called fighting for survival. how sick we are in this day and age where even in a catastrophe like this, people still cant look past racial differences."

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about this "looting" versus "survival finding" garbage. Like on YTMND, the one saying "Yahoo news is Racist!"

Yahoo and Google are a compendium of news. The discrepencies between looting and 'survival finding' have absolutely nothing to do with Yahoo or Google, because different news sources post each one.
I don't think there has been a case of a individual reporter/news station calling some people looters, while other people non-looting.

Also, I've seen footage of people looting things other than just food. I don't think a horrible tragedy like this entitles people to loot a Wal-Mart for TVs, I'm sorry. And for the record, Kanye West going on the air to say "George Bush doesn't care about black people," is just idiotic.. I don't particularly like George Bush, but it's certainly not his administration's fault for not fixing up the levees beforehand. The studies by the crisis experts of the structual weaknesses of New Orleans came out in Clinton's presidency--it was up to the state of Louisiana or the city of New Orleans to make sure they were safe, not the ever-changing political administration.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with Alea. I don't like Bush, at all, but we can't blame him for not magically fixing any and all problems that New Orleans had before the hurricane.

Best answers
I had too see this kayne west ordeal for myself, i thought people were just joking. I did a search and found it, and i still can't believe he said it. Here's the video right here.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Kayne-West-Bush-Black-People.wmv - Right Click & Save

I think that takes alot of guts and alot of heart to speak his mind like that, that's for sure. He seemed so nervous and he had kind of a sad look on his face as if he was about too cry or something. I can't imagine what was going through Mike Meyers and Chris Tucker's mind either. It had too be somewhat quite awkward for them for different reasons. I guess emotions, thoughts, and feelings are running high, this is truely a hard time for everyone who's concerned about everything that's happening in New Orleans right now.

Best answers
West seems awfully choked up.. rather incoherent when it comes to english, however when it comes to the emotion? Comin through crystal clear.. I don't think that was the best move to make.... If he had been able to lead up that, via rant, it might've made more sense, but he didn't; he just blurted it out.

But like Soul said... He did seem pretty nervous, and he must've been seriously emotional at the time.. Probably a little scared.

Meyers and Tucker were probably thinking the same thing: He shouldn't have just blurted it out like that, because it was very unprofessional, and seeing as how it's a celebrity he'll probably get a lot of unwanted attention, and it doesn't really help the cause at all. But that said, the way he said it you can tell he's just not just a celebrity and is really hurting right now.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Bush got owned/pwned. Sadly, but everything in this letter is true. Mine firends coders from america sent me some videos, its pretty scary how destructable nature can be...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Its about time Micheal Moore said something.

And here's something else as well. Turns out all of this is 100% true, I just saw it on Fox11 on Eleven o'Clock News. The clips they shown were simply amazing. Galst Vic, you also have something going there. That is a high possibility of the end of humanity, and sanity for that matter. o_o .. Nice to meet you too, Dragonballz4. There's also something else..

Many of the Dead Never to Be Identified

By TIM DAHLBERG

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - They died on flooded city streets in the Big Easy and in country homes in Mississippi. One survived seven months of combat in Iraq only to die near his boyhood home. An 80-year-old woman died sitting in a bedroom chair when a tree crashed through the roof. One man was killed when he went out to his car to charge his cell phone during the storm.

A woman known only as ``Vera'' was struck by a car after the hurricane hit, according to her husband.

Most of the dead from Hurricane Katrina don't have names yet. Many will never be identified because their bodies decomposed in the floodwaters and heat before they were found.

For some, a few details are emerging from relatives who want them remembered:

Jewelry shop owner David ``Kip'' Logan, 49, liked to play golf and hunt and attended a Baptist church. His last act was to tell his wife to run as a tree cracked and fell on the porch of his Laurel, Miss., home, collapsing an awning on top of him.

Deborah Logan suffered two broken vertebrae and broken fingers, but stayed with her husband as neighbors pulled him from the wreckage, dug a damaged car out of the debris and drove him to the hospital.

``I held his head in my hands the whole way,'' Deborah Logan said.

For some reason, 43-year-old Vicky Thaggard wrote a letter to her preacher four months ago describing how she wanted her funeral carried out. She died when a tree fell on her car in Leake County, Miss.

``Different people think you know before you die,'' said Kay Cain, her niece. ``I don't know. ... Why else would she leave a letter like that?''

Whenever Merry Thompson went out for a drive, she was accompanied by a 3 1/2-foot-tall stuffed toy, Sylvester the cat. It was a tribute to her late father, who was named Sylvester, and it was guaranteed to draw stares from drivers around Eagle Lake, Miss.

The 43-year-old died when a tree fell on her mobile home.

``She's crazy - not looney bin crazy - but she just had a lot of personality,'' her son, Nick Thompson, said. ``She's very outgoing and warm.''

Josh E. Russell had spent a tour in Iraq, then switched to the National Guard from the Marine Corps so he could spend more time at home. The 27-year-old was killed when the Humvee he was riding in hit debris on a highway in Pearl River County, Miss.

Russell was nervous about being called into action, sent into the teeth of the hurricane, said his widow, Jamie Russell.

``He didn't want to go, because he knew it was going to be a bad storm. But he went, because that was his duty,'' she said.

These are just a few of the dead whose names are known and whose stories are being told. But there are sure to be thousands more in months ahead.

Many, like the man whose body was on a wooden cart on New Orleans' Rampart Street near downtown may simply be buried in anonymous pauper's graves. The elderly man was wrapped in a child's bedsheet decorated with the cartoon characters Batman, Robin and the Riddler. He had one shoe on, one off.

Identifying the dead will be a daunting task, made even more desperate because many will likely be bloated and decomposed by the time they're taken away. FEMA officials said they would try to locate dental records, but urged family members to bring in photos, fingerprints or even a toothbrush or provide DNA samples.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff warned the nation to prepare for the worst as bodies believed to be in houses and in floodwaters are recovered.

``It is going to be about as ugly of a scene as I think you can imagine,'' Chertoff said.

Slowly, though, some faces are being matched with the dead, mostly by family members.

For days, mystery shrouded the body of ``Vera'' as closely as the sheet that eventually cloaked her body. She stayed there in the Garden District, at the corner of Jackson and Magazine, with a spraypainted tribute on the sheet over her: ``Here lies Vera. God help us.''

Vera turned out to be 66-year-old Elvira Smith, who lived with her common-law husband, C.N. Keene, about five blocks from where she was killed. Sitting shirtless and with a growth of beard on the front porch of his modest duplex, Keene said he last saw his wife Monday after the hurricane struck.

Keene said she was on her way to Jewel's grocery when someone driving in the frantic aftermath of the hurricane struck her just a few feet from the store entrance and sped away. The next day, Keene said he walked over and put a bedspread over her body but he didn't want to return to it.

On Saturday, Keene was sitting on his porch when a man came up to him with some news.

``Some guy I didn't even know named John came by and said, 'I've just buried Elvira in the park,''' Keene said. Her body remained in the same spot, but a short wall of bricks had been built around her, anchoring the tarp.

``I told him I appreciated it,'' Keene said.

09/05/05 19:15

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

DMW

Best answers
Damn,Kanye west made me laugh at his stupid*** with his coment,And for him to be saying that,plus being a rapper and rich living in a fu***** mansion,not housing alot of people.I mean the celebrities out there who actually care,where are they now with there 40+ bedroom houses.I mean i know theres the chance of being robbed and other stuff,but get rid of your priceless stuff,and move somone in.I mean i read a white guy(not being raciest,its honestly what i read),moved like 8 black guys in his house to help,which is a 1 story,so its not exactly a 5 or 6 bedroom home.Its 4 or 5 tops.I dont like bush,but like it was said before it isnt his fault.Kanye might have made things worse with his comment.People are dieing for no reason,little kids(like the 7 year old girl) are getting hurt and raped(if i met the guy who did it(or somthing like it,I swear to god they would wanna be dead......)If people were more focused on trying to survive,they wouldnt be robbing(no matter the race) stores.WTF are you gonna do with a tv with no fu***** house or place to sell it.Everyone there in new orleans i know,is questioning god right now,faith is being tested over there,i feel bad for those people,my grandma could be over there,she lives in Talula Louisianna(half my familey does).If it hit there i would just loose it.I really hope this thing turns out as good as it can.(i doubt it though).I really hope ppl get what they disserve too,the killers,theives,rapest..ect,hope they get the favor returned(or punishment they disserve),and for the ppl doing right,they disserver a reward for there bravery,there faith to god,and i hope there hopes and **** come true cuz they disserve it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This "looting vs. surviving" thing is pissing me off but for the wrong reasons. The white couple who survived by "finding" things is pictured carrying only some bread; the photo of the black guy that's next to that one, who is "looting," has a ****ing garbage bag filled with stuff that he's like dragging behind him.

I still blame the President for this, even though it was the hurricane's fault. They had plenty of warning. I just think ol' W had no interest in 'wasting' army resources helping old poor black folks for the hurricane's pre-empting, which he no doubt had not even the slightest clue of how bad it was going to be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh, im starting to call it universal Karma... on the grounds that america didnt want anything to do with the Kyoto(sp?) agreement, (to do with global warming and environmental issues). so the planet ***** slapped america for it =D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
meh, im starting to call it universal Karma... on the grounds that america didnt want anything to do with the Kyoto(sp?) agreement, (to do with global warming and environmental issues). so the planet ***** slapped america for it =D
There is no use in punishing the innocent for the deeds of the political minority. If karma worked, it wouldn't punish the citizens who fell victim to this tragedy.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:

I agree with you Axman. That's a nice logic you have there. ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
imkongkong said:
found something interesting

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where
On earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a
drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do
like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then
but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this
storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know
how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps.
Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New
Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there
weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important
construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the
clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out.
Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter
and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percentof New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people
On their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing – NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast
are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
For the very first time....I agree with him.

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
Hahaha, cute. Real cute. I would think it makes sense... But why the **** hit New Orleans? Mardi Gras, ftw! o/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom