Random Suggestions

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Suggestion 1

If we have to have styles, I'd rather we be able to choose between an offensive and defensive style on the fly. The offensive style would allow you to swoop faster than the neutral style or whatever you want to call it, but at the cost of increased ki drain. The hits would also cause you to get knocked back farther and faster due to your increased strength and speed, making it easier to knock your opponent into walls or mountains since getting a second melee hit would be much, much harder.

The defensive style would have a slower swoop, with decreased ki drain, and teleportation would use less ki as well. You would do slightly less damage, however, to balance your decreased ki drain. This style would be more about evasion and "outthinking" your opponent than anything else. If you want to go the rage route, use the offensive style.

You should be able to switch between the 3 styles/modes by either holding down a key or toggling them/using the mouse scroller.

All players fit into either one or all categories (offensive, mixed and defensive), but I like the idea of being able to focus on one if I choose to. It's all about options and control over your character.

If you want to hear more, say so and I'll flesh it out.

Suggestion 2

Another not-so-major suggestion:

We've had a bunch of grab threads, and dive bomb threads, but I haven't heard of this one before. How about allowing us to tackle players in place of hitting them using simple melee? You'd swoop into them the same way, but instead of hitting them away, you'd grab their trunk, and guide them wherever you want to go for X seconds. It'd be useful for slamming people into things, which already incurs damage.

Edit: In addition to just guiding them, perhaps you could have the ability to let them go before your tackle time has run out, forcing them to travel in the direction you were just flying towards. Inertia and all that. What would be the purpose? Positioning them in such a way that you'd have the upper hand. A lot of times we'll just wait for our opponent to fly into that imaginary box or hover above that imaginary X before we attack. This would allow us to be more proactive about doing that, without forcing us to play long games of mental chess.

Suggestion 3

Making block more than just a POS feature you use once in a blue moon:

When holding block, you also have the ability to perform a quick evasion maneuver in the form of a spin, which would look something like this:

Of course, it'd use ki as well.

When I say spin, I visualize a ballerina spinning around on her feet while traveling in a given direction. Just in case it wasn't clear. Obviously, you could make this look more badass, but I think a spin animation would be pretty nifty.

This next part is unrelated, but I think it needs to be said. I've been waiting for an effective and fun advanced melee system since I first read about the team'sintentions in 1.1. Systems have been created, only to be scrapped later on, making everything up to that point a waste of time.

My suggestion is to scrap the idea of "Advanced melee" altogether, and expand on what makes ESF different from every other game out there: Simple melee. Simple melee as it exists is your MKI. It isn't pretty, but it works and it gets the job done. But it can be better. It can be given more depth, and it can be made more enjoyable for all. Stop wasting your time trying to mimic budokai games and let's get back to basics.
In response to being asked how ping would affect this:

It'd be affected in the same way that swooping is affected. Since you can choose whether to double tap initially or use the swoop key, that could always carry over to the evasion maneuver. You don't have to wait until the last moment. It's just when most people would use it to trick their opponent. You'd be able to perform the maneuver even when no one is around.

I would also assume we'd have the option of choosing which direction to evade towards by holding the respective direction.

Read, critique, make suggestions, give feedback. You know the drill.

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Spin dodge:

I think it's kind of useless, since we already have teleport. Teleport doesn't consume Stamina and only a little bit of Ki.

EDIT:

Fighting styles:

I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of switching them mid-battle. I think it would be better to select them at the player select screen. Players would have to play with a certain style until they die, but the benefit is that they won't have two extra keys to press. ESF is about simple, fast-paced combat, and I think that adding two extra buttons in order to facilitate the style change would suit ESF, personally.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
1) Spin dodge: It'd be used in the event that you don't have enough ki to teleport, but enough ki to swoop at least once in any given direction. As you know, swooping once isn't going to cut it since you're basically moving in straight lines, but an evasion maneuver would allow you give yourself some space by positioning yourself where your enemy isn't as he passes by you. I'd rather have this than be forced to hold block and drop straight down to try to put some space between us.

You could also use it offensively as a bridge that allows you transition into swoops. It wouldn't be something you'd have to charge, so it'd lead right into a swoop without any real delay.

Stealing a bit from Iron Man, but it could also be a part of swooping. Swoop forward, guy is heading straight for you, barrel roll to either side, go around, head for his 6, bingo bango.

2) Styles: As I said, you could also use the mouse scroller or a single key to switch between the three. That's a logistical problem, not a gameplay problem. I'll leave that up to someone else.

I'm not a fan of choosing styles before you enter the game. I want absolute control of my character. I want to be able to switch my styles so that I can adapt to any given situation.

Just an FYI: All of my ideas are subject to change. I'm not gung ho about any of them. I just want people to start suggesting things, or if not that, at least help make the ideas suggested better so we have something to work with. If you have problems with my system, do what Shiyo did and tell me why. I'll figure out ways to make it work, or I'll change it's entire function, as I did with the "Iron Man" part.

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Styles)
I like this approach, ive got nothing against having 3 styles ingame. In fact it compliments the way animations would work in my melee suggestion. Im all for this ^_^

Tackle)
Again good thinking. This can be a tackle or divebomb depending on player animation and angle of approach.

Spin Dodge)
I think this would work, a choice between a stamina dodge and a ki dodge compliment each other nicely, and aerial acrobatics would come in extremely handy, look nice and just make flying more fun and stylish.
Id say it would work by holding block and tapping left or right, when standing still or swooping. Seems solid enough.

3/3 Good stuff ^_^

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I really like the idea of doing barrel rolls during a swoop. I think it should consume a little bit of stamina, no ki. It would be useful for dodging people that are coming your way, but I wonder if it won't be abused too much by noobs.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if its spammed you'll be left with no stamina and be a sitting duck. Shouldnt take too long to figure out to use it wisely.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if its spammed you'll be left with no stamina and be a sitting duck. Shouldnt take too long to figure out to use it wisely.
Exactly .

Now with Kung-Fu action!
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Great ideas, Nix. Perhaps have some sort of slider like mechanism so you can choose where exactly on your Offense/Defense scale you can be. It'd allow people to set it the best way according to how they play.

Grapple = Fine idea. The barrel roll is pretty similar to changing direction when swooping though. I think it should give you some opportunity to smash your enemy in the direction they're going if you attack from close enough.

Best answers
i like the idea of spin dodge, im sure ive seen similar idea in games like tekken?
imean flying in the air 1v1 combat and they punch or blast you, then you spin a certain degree around them(depending on how long you hold certain buttons down) and then give em a hit or so on could end up to be such a fun long lasting battle and also imean the more features, moves, or what ever = the better as long as its implented in the keyboard and not having to select the spindodge from the hud
and the barrel role would be an awesome idea with the extra of attack

Last edited:
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I really like preset styles that you can change on the fly. Well ok maybe you could add a little cooldown (like 30 secs).
But well I wouldn't because on-the-fly adaptation to situations is just more awesome.
It just adds a layer of flexibility and depth to the game. People who are lazy can stick to one style,
but others who want to have an edge will be switching styles all the time.
I'd say a toggle button would be the best solution. Tapping it 2 times to skip a style fast isn't too much.

As for the second idea, I don't really get it. You suggest to be able to grab people and move together with them,
releasing them at will or be forced to relese after a certain time? If yes, then I agree. good idea.
If not, then please explain it more detailed.

As for the third idea, I'd add to it more. I like the general idea of flight/movement maneuvers.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
As for the second idea, I don't really get it. You suggest to be able to grab people and move together with them,
releasing them at will or be forced to relese after a certain time?
If yes,
Right. You can either tackle them and hold on for X amount of seconds, or you can completely let go of them before the timer runs out, which forces them to continue traveling in whichever direction you had been tackling them towards. It'd act like a knockback, so they would be able to hold down the left clicker and shorten knockback length.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Right. You can either tackle them and hold on for X amount of seconds, or you can completely let go of them before the timer runs out, which forces them to continue traveling in whichever direction you had been tackling them towards. It'd act like a knockback, so they would be able to hold down the left clicker and shorten knockback length.
Alright, then in my opinion, it should replace the current throwing system. Sounds just more controllable.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I like all of it, but I do see a problem of people just whoring the tackle feature non-stop like the throwing.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I like all of it, but I do see a problem of people just whoring the tackle feature non-stop like the throwing.
Which is why the team would have to work in reversals and such.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Which is why the team would have to work in reversals and such.
Hmm but reversals would be heavily dependant on timing, and thus ping.
If done correctly, there might be thin timeframe
that incorporates slight ping issues, while at the same time making reversals not too easy to pull of.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm but reversals would be heavily dependant on timing, and thus ping.
If done correctly, there might be thin timeframe
that incorporates slight ping issues, while at the same time making reversals not too easy to pull of.
Stopping a throw didn't require timing. While you're being tackled, you should be able to "fight it" by pumping stamina into the "reversal meter".

I totally pulled that out of my ass.

Best answers
well just evade the tackle? eg teleport,dash,turbo away and theres heaps of other ways to avoid it. and also i think it should not replace the throw? i like the throwing abilit? only improvement should be added to throwing

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
well just evade the tackle? eg teleport,dash,turbo away and theres heaps of other ways to avoid it. and also i think it should not replace the throw? i like the throwing abilit? only improvement should be added to throwing
Throw is completely broken in 1.2. If they fix it, fine. Otherwise it isn't needed.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
throw is worthless, not broken. this "tackle" seems to be an excellent substitute, and if i remember correctly, one of the older suggestions. hopefully its taken seriously this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom