Random question.

Best answers
Hey guys, I have been here for a while and rarely post, but I have a question. I remember when I came to ESF was when B4P got a stop notice from funimation about using the dbz characters in their game without paid licensing.

So my question is how after all these years have you guys been able to keep the Dragonball Characters and not have to pay out the ass to funimation?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys, I have been here for a while and rarely post, but I have a question. I remember when I came to ESF was when B4P got a stop notice from funimation about using the dbz characters in their game without paid licensing.

So my question is how after all these years have you guys been able to keep the Dragonball Characters and not have to pay out the ass to funimation?
As far as i remember BFP was planning to sell the game.

Discord Member
Best answers
To elaborate further on what, Grega, said; the ESF team has never had the intention, nor will it ever, to sell the game to make a profit. As I understand it (under fair use), as long as what they are doing is completely free, and they never charge anyone for anything related to the game itself, they can release the game and that is perfectly legal to do so.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, ESF can still be shut down at any time. They don't have a license to produce DBZ content, so funimation or whoever can shut this mod down. With that being said, I'm pretty sure multiple people from funimation know about ESF (from what I remember, a musical producer who worked under Bruce Falconer even offered to help out with the music) and they seem to not care about it. The only times I've seen any DBZ mod get shut down is when they involve money (such as BFP).

3D Animator and Rigger!!!
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
No, ESF can still be shut down at any time. They don't have a license to produce DBZ content, so funimation or whoever can shut this mod down. With that being said, I'm pretty sure multiple people from funimation know about ESF (from what I remember, a musical producer who worked under Bruce Falconer even offered to help out with the music) and they seem to not care about it. The only times I've seen any DBZ mod get shut down is when they involve money (such as BFP).
That is correct, given that the industry has really turned to the community for user generated content and have pretty much embraced it. I highly doubt they'll shut down any mod/indie game, thats free. If money was to be obtained, then yea easily enough a reason. But in general, no. They will know about it, but they will not honestly bother going through all the trouble, and legal time, to get something free shut down unless it'll directly hurt them or their profits. So, under the "fair of use" for personal education and fan fair, nothing will happen.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well something about this would be that it's good that this mod won't release any time soon. Otherwise they may blame to poor sales of xenoverse on it and shut it down.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
They could just shutdown ESF and end this endless waiting. To me, ESF walks hand in hand with HL3, where not a day passess by without me thinking about the damn game.

Was that a bit too harsh ? :(

Best answers
I don't ever remember being required to pay for BFP, I heard of some guys saying they payed for it on ebay, but I had BFP and never got charged for it. But not saying there wasn't a period they tried, but I kept mine current and never was asked to pay.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I forgot the context of it. I don't think the team actually managed to sell BFP for money (although I have heard of instances where people did manage to buy BFP from a store), but they were planning on doing it with BFP2 I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom