Random failures when booting..

Best answers
I had to perform a format today due to a nasty little virus (got rid of it, but damaged critical .dll files from Windows).. Ohwell, no problem, fresh Windows install couldn't hurt..

Now, everthing is OK, all drivers are in place and working.. But the weirdest thing happens when I try to (re)boot. Most of the times it gets stuck at the bootscreen (Windows logo with the moving bar).. There is some HD activity in the beginning, but after a few seconds, nothing.. The bar is still moving, but nothing loads. Resetting multiple times doesn't help.. But when I insert the Windows installation CD, it works.. I can boot and get into Windows..

Ok, this might just be coincidence (the CD = boot thing), but as I said, it's quite weird, and I've never seen something like this before.

In case you are wondering: I have a legal version on Windows XP (professional).

These are my specs:
Pentium 4, 2.0Ghz
512MB DDR Ram (Twinmoss)
Nvidia GeForce 4 ti4200

I tried to restore to default Windows settings, but that didn't help.. I also tried to remove all the drivers, but that didn't work neither..

Oh yea, PS: I can't even get in Safe Mode.

Edit: there's nothing else that's wrong with my computer, just this crappy booting problem :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That exact same thing happened to my old family computer a while back. Except I couldn't boot it no matter what. My problem was that the HD ****ed up and a section of it or something was corrupted and it didn't work anymore. So we had to get a new HD.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you have as 2nd hdd or partition that the virus may have infected? Have you tried accessing any sought of executables from infected partitions as the virus could of modified executable files?.

On a side note, before booting to anythnig OS related is there any strange behaviour you notice?.

Best answers
I have a second partition that holds nohing else than .mp3 files. When scanning this partition, no problems report.

And there is no strange behaviour apart from the not booting..

I fear a new format :( Sucks, since I'm close to my download limit, and don't want to download all the drivers/updates again :(

Best answers
Ok, fixed it :)

Was a problem with my mainboard drivers and Windows Service Pack 2..

Thanks for the help anyway

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll forgo the warning for double posting and just close your thread! How about that =P?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom