Ram

Best answers
well this actually is just a question I was wondering,

i bought a new computer. it has 4gb of DDR 3200. I heard of DDR2 but I don't know anything about it. Is the RAM I got still good or am I living in the past and think DDR 3200 is still good.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
4gb if you ask me is overkill, I recently bought my PC and opted for a single GB after numerous tests have shown that excessive amounts of RAM actually lowers the performance, and so far I've had no problems with my memory.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DDR2 is a waste for all I'm concered. At the moment, the only increase you'll get is theoretical bandwidth, not actual performance due to the huge latencies (4-5-5-8 and crap) compared to DDR1's peachy timings (~2-3-3-6 nowadays for value ram).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OCZ recently brought out pc6400 memory that runs at latencies of 4-2-3 (/me druels over the nice speed and latency , but shames that amd doesn't support ddr2 yet). From what i have seen on the benchmarks it seems good , but it's a bit expensive and maybe you should wait till ddr2 at these speeds become avalible to a wider section of the consumer market and or when other Companies start to produce ddr2 at this speed , as of now this will cost alot of cash that you might not have. For now just stick with dd400 , as ddr2 is still in it's early days.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
OCZ recently brought out pc6400 memory that runs at latencies of 4-2-3 (/me druels over the nice speed and latency , but shames that amd doesn't support ddr2 yet). From what i have seen on the benchmarks it seems good , but it's a bit expensive and maybe you should wait till ddr2 at these speeds become avalible to a wider section of the consumer market and or when other Companies start to produce ddr2 at this speed , as of now this will cost alot of cash that you might not have. For now just stick with dd400 , as ddr2 is still in it's early days.
Yes, but that's expensive. Dollar per dollar, DDR1 completely owns DDR2. And just so you know, AMD will never support DDR2.

And Saiyan_Overlord, please reduce your signature some. You don't need 3-4 spaces in between such few word lines.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith said:
And just so you know, AMD will never support DDR2.
I can gurantee you they will eventually some point down the track as ddr2 gradually starts to improve they are only bound to do so , what kind of marketing would it be if they didb't , they have an excuse fornot supporting it so far , but other then that , I could gather different when you think about everything that in the merket today

ontopic : What memory are you using now ? are you using 2 or 4 sticks (most likely 4) what brand ? what compelled anyone to go over 2gig of memory these days ? (other then server computers from big ass companies \o/ )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, they officially stated that they would never support DDR2. They're skipping directly to DDR3. Saiyan_Overlord, please. You know I work on facts...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
No, they officially stated that they would never support DDR2. They're skipping directly to DDR3. Saiyan_Overlord, please. You know I work on facts...
well sorry , i lack internet access or miss alot of the updates on stuf as i lack net access. But meh

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Devion said:
They still arent 100% certain, as AMD CEO said, they might just skip it.
I know, I did RTFA. It still proves his claim invalid.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
I know, I did RTFA. It still proves his claim invalid.
Oh, hm. Well, when I was last reading about what they were doing, they just weren't happy with what DDR2 was showing and wanted to skip directly to the next step. Not everyone's perfect; only close to it ;). You can take the nerd hat for a day or two as I know how much you'd like it :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom