Ram?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just wondering, if I get a 1GB ram or 2GB, will it increase my graphics and boost my proformance?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i remember jayster doing this. it can depend on what you are doing really. Do you plan to get 4x512 sticks (if you have 4 ram slots in your mainboard) or do you plan to get 2x10245 sticks ? also what brand of memory are you going for ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd recommend 2GBs for this time and day. It'll really help in the newer games and the ones down the road.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, there's a point where (especially on older operating systems, like Windows 95/98) having too much memory can decrease performance.

What kind of programs do you run? If you don't run video editing and cutting-edge games with full settings, I'd say 2GB is far more than you need.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, you're probably correct. 2GB isn't at the point of no performance, though >:O. If I were to buy RAM, I'd definitely go for 2 gigs these days.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing really, steam only, but I plan to play my games on Really high proformance. :O
I'm sure My Alantis could handle it. :O

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
"increase my graphics" ?

Maybe you should get a clue about what you're talking about before you spend any money. :p

Adding RAM may allow you to increase your graphics in RAM demanding games. -Smith|

Don't edit my post to add an irrelevant point or I'll contact those above you.

Just saw this today. It was a relevant point to your post, but not to the thread, ergo the edit and not a new post. Adding new RAM will allow you to increase your graphics (most likely texture quality) in the more 'heavy' games. Say you're playing doom 3. You know that when you load up, textures that are required right for the scene you see are put into your graphics card memory for the absolute fastest reach. When those are no longer needed and are unloaded for newer textures, where do they go? You RAM! It wouldn't be very efficient for it to back to the HDD as you'd just have lots of thrashing. If you run out of RAM, though, it's forced to goto the HDD, which many people don't like, so they'll run it at a lower texture resolution (graphics option) to satisfy their desires. -Smith|

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
2 GB is overkill imo >_<

512 MB is for most games still sufficient.

Although I would recommend 1 gig, 2 gig is a good way to throw your money away.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a 512, with a Radeon 9800 Pro Alantis Ultimate Edition (My other ones burned...) but my dad has the same exact computer as mine, but he has a 1 GB ram and he's able to play anything in full without lag. So, I might get a 2X512, and probbly save up for 2X1 gig =o

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2GB purely for future proofing purposes

You won't need to buy new RAM for ages.

512 is standard these days and everyone knows Standard is crap

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
2 GB is overkill imo >_<

512 MB is for most games still sufficient.

Although I would recommend 1 gig, 2 gig is a good way to throw your money away.
2 Gigs, as Deverz put it, IS the future. Get 2 gigs now and thank yourself later when you have no HDD thrashing. BF2 benefits from it, EQ2 benefits from it, and I'm pretty sure any Unreal 3 game will benefit from it. The time for 2 Gigs is getting closer and closer by the minute.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Smith| said:
2 Gigs, as Deverz put it, IS the future. Get 2 gigs now and thank yourself later when you have no HDD thrashing. BF2 benefits from it, EQ2 benefits from it, and I'm pretty sure any Unreal 3 game will benefit from it. The time for 2 Gigs is getting closer and closer by the minute.
Or you just buy 1 gig and just wait until 2 gig is really needed.

No to mention that it will be cheaper to upgrade :rolleyes:

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Buy 2gb so you can have a big e-wang like Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom