RAM slot question.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The new mobo I got has 4 ddr2 ram slots,my heat sink is ****ing massive and covers the first 1 or 2 slots, I have 2 2gig sticks of corsair dominator RAM that are too tall to fit under the heatsink.

Can I use slots 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2?

Also if this is a mobo support issue my mobo is a gigabyte x48-dq6.

Thanks guys.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If the shoe fits, you should be fine. Although I've heard you're not supposed to mixmatch ram, I've never heard anything bad if you did.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
which heatsink is it?

usually the ram slots are colored just match the colours, but if that doesnt work you can stick them in any slot and it should still work minus dual channel. Usually it supposed to be configured slot 1 & 3 or 2 & 4.

Edit

I just took a look at what that board looks like. So you should have either the yellow slots filled or the orange slots filled to utilize dual channel.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Yes you can use slots 3 and 4.

However for maximal performance you would probably desire to run the ram in Synchronous Dual Channel DDR mode for optimal bandwidth, this can vary between motherboards, some motherboard dual DDR mode is engaged if you have the memory in slots 1 and 2 or slots 3 and 4, others it may be slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4. (Read the manual).

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I got a new heat sink, the zalman cnps9700, RAM slots are free now, got dual channel in slots 1 and 3.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sub, the mix + matching ram thing, is bad if you're doing it with RAM brands/non paired sticks etc.

~Wheres you should be fine, as long as the two slots are paired slots, if they aren't paired, you'll be running in single channel mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom