Best answers
I made my first map, and my fps is real low, like 5-15 is there a way to get it up higher??

i dont have any water, fog, or any special effects like that

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm gonna say check your r_speeds. You're probably trying to get it to render too much on the screen at once. The more polygons (that is to say each face) that you can see at any given time, the harder the computer has to work to draw it all on the screen, the longer it takes, and the lower your FPS. That *might* be your problem.

-Karrde-

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm, try this:

1) while playing your map, open console and type "developer 1"
2) then type "r_speeds 1"
3) tell me the numbers you see :p

if wpoly is over, ooh bout 2000 then you have too many faces that is causing lag, if epoly is above 3000 then you have too many entities/models causing lag...

Best answers
a whole list of stuff came down but it said like 1206wpoly 1120 epoly i dunno what that means it also said 10 fps and like 28ms or sometin like dat

Best answers
Originally posted by [SSJ]MyStIc
a whole list of stuff came down but it said like 1206wpoly 1120 epoly i dunno what that means it also said 10 fps and like 28ms or sometin like dat
1206 Wpoly is the amout of faces that are being rendered at that time. Below 800 is Recommended... * but in this game its almost impossible to get less then 800 on a large map with detail.
1120 Epoly is the amount of Entity poly being rendered.. Like player models and Fx in the map.
10 fps is what you should get with a 16 meg Video card with the 1206 Wpoly.
and finaly the 28 MS... this is how long it takes you to refreash you screen... so basicly 10 Fps its takes 28 MS for 1 of that fps.

Best answers
thanx for the faq :p

what would u reccomend me doing to get the wpoly's down?? i got a 128 mb video card and thats the stuff i was getting. i have a lot of buildings but not nearly as many as in ESF_City for example and they aren't as tall or anything as the ones in that map

*edit*
i chucked some of the buildings in my map, and now i had

wpoly 600-700
epoly 1700-1800
FPS 7-10
MS 28

is there something im not doing perhaps when i compile it??
i use the worldcraft compiler on expert mode. batch compiler too confusing for me to setup:cry: im also having problems putting in a sky.. i have the skybox and everything and in map properties where it says cl_skyname i typed in the name of one of the TGA's in my gfx folder.. "c2niteft" but i get some other sky instead

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From what I hear, dont' use the WC compiler. Use zoner's HL tools or another prog.

-Karrde-

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if the name is "opty256ft" put in the cl_skyname **** "opty" you must cut it off...

Best answers
sorry for double post but edit button wont work >_<

does anyone have a tutorial for setting up the Batch Compiler??
its too confusing for me to do on my own

and again sorry for double posting :(

Best answers
which tools are you using?if you are using any build of Zoners use zoners settings(its in the specifications menu)

after that go to options->setup to set the files for compiling....then just a few files like the hullfile and the likes.

You might want to add the -estimate parameter to VIS and RAD to check on your progress and make sure it hasnt froze over yet.

and one thing to check....did you put a light in?Before I didnt have lights and it was fps loss galore....make sure you use a light_environment entity

Best answers
im using Zoners tools in the WC compiler, because the batch compiler is to confusing for me to setup, and i didn't add any lights in the map

Best answers
wc compiler works fine for me , with zoners hl tools
i never realy needed a batch compiler
just an idea try making some textures larger then defaulth , it helps
offcourse its not usable for buildings where you don't want huuuuuge windows :p

Best answers
Put a single light_environment towards the top of your map. That will act as the sun and create shadows for your map.

Also, make sure you are running RAD. I tried not running RAD once so I could test my map without compiling for so long, and my FPS dropped to 5-10 on my 64mb Geforce4. So make sure you are running RAD when you compile.

Best answers
i fixed the whole problem by putting the light environment entity on the map, thanx all of you for yer help. the last and final problem im having is still with the sky :S also im having trouble naming the map. the name of the map is Z_Battlecity but it coms out as Z_Batt~1 when i compile it

Best answers
To make less lag, make the ground, and other objects that do not need shadows, a func_wall

Best answers
Originally posted by [SSJ]MyStIc
i fixed the whole problem by putting the light environment entity on the map, thanx all of you for yer help. the last and final problem im having is still with the sky :S also im having trouble naming the map. the name of the map is Z_Battlecity but it coms out as Z_Batt~1 when i compile it
sometimes it comes out like that,but all it takes is a little renaming,dontcha think so?:)

BTW,making the floor a func_wall is a bad idea,making complex objects or brushes with a lot of faces a func_wall is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom