• NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Best answers
Which one of these two you'd buy ?
My vote goes to Ati ...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right now, the X800XT is the best buy because it's faster in the majority of the tests against the 6800 Ultra in the $500 area. nVidia is releasing a 6800 Ultra Extreme for $600, but it's only a slightly overclocked 6800 Ultra.

The 6800 Ultra has Pixel and Vertex Shaders 3.0, but all it's barely supported now by any game and the direct x version for it isn't even out yet. Plus, model 2.0 can render everything it can, just takes more work for the video card to do.

Best answers
ATI may have the better hardware, but their driver support has consistently been in the toilet. For that reason alone, I'd always go with an NVidia.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'll go for geforce, they did it again :D
i dont know what it cald but it has something to do with performends.
the strongest that exist was overclocht and everything but scored hardly over 8000 while 6800 scored 14000 easely, it even has a verry strong game that neads that card only to handle the game(that is ground control, never know that a game can get so high in xfx)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
ATI may have the better hardware, but their driver support has consistently been in the toilet. For that reason alone, I'd always go with an NVidia.
I have experienced NO driver conflicts with any games so far with my ATi 9600XT. Yes, they may have been bad in the past, but nowadays they are just as good as nVidia with drivers.

And niobe, the 6800Ultra gets about 12k in 3dMark03 out of the box, you'd have to overclock it quite a bit to get 14k.

Best answers
I was thinking of buying a new computer, actually I need to buy a new computer and I decided to wait until the PCI generation comes out. But if I had to choose between those two, well, I really dont know. I guess I would just go out and compare the hardware for each one of them and just pick which one is better. But if youre thinking of getting a new graphics card, Id say wait for the PCI stuff. Thats what Im doing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, nVidia is creating a connection between 2 identical Geforce 6800 Ultra cards that, when plugged together, will give about 90% performance increase. It makes each card render half of the screen, lowering the load on each one by half so it can render faster :eek:.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@smith
that 14k is trouw, i saw it on the movie of the features of 6400, look at the nvidia site and look for your self.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, but read what I said a while ago. It was done in 800 by 600 with lowest mip map settings.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
every company does that, they had to be a fool to do that not.
ati does that also so it doesn't matter, 6400 is just the best :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, not every company does that. nVidia is the first company I've seen who benchmarks off of the default settings to fool their customers.

an nVidiot said:
6400 is just the best
And it's 6800*, but it's not the best.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
here we go again.
let's keep it like this, you like ati and i like nvidia.
and when you're compair nvidia agains ati, thats inpossible becours every version of every company has an better one as soon as the other has a better one.
it is just a circel, it keeps on going.
btw, like ati is good.
no one can say who is best, the only thing i think is good about ati is for a good frisbi.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the thing is, Niobe, ATi currently beats nVidia in benchmark settings for a $500 card. So I will say that ATi is currently the $500 king of graphics cards. Even if it's by a couple fps or by 10 fps, ATi is still currently in lead of graphics cards.

nVidia had to release the 6800Ultra Extreme due to ATi's lead over their 'old' plain Ultra version, yet it still barely beats it and costs 100 more.

I love both companies, it's just that I know and understand which is better. I've owned a Tnt2, a geforce 3, a geforce 4, and now my 9600XT which I love. Sure, both may produce one better than the other in a neverending "war," but at the moment, ATi is in the lead.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nvidia was accused of cheating on 3dmark more than once and 3dmark finally caved and said they didn't. It's also funny that Nvidia hooks up with games that run better on ATI cards. The fact is that Nvidia has always had the faster benchmarks no matter what they do to get them. They get the faster benchmarks by always throwing more voltage through and getting faster clock speeds on their cards. ATI still wins in performance though because they are just better cards. Things look better, run better, and overall are faster. Don't think I'm biased because I still <3 voodoo and I went on to be an Nvidia fan until they started to just not meet expectations.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The reason 3dmark finally "caved" was because nVidia altered their judgement with a large sum of money. It's also the same with HL2, nVidia "convinced" Valve to redo some things to make HL2 run better on nVidia cards.

Valve has spent 5x as much time optimizing for nVidia than they have for ATi, that says something about nVidia. They actually had to make a seperate shading renderer for nVidia, which is a mix of DX8 and DX9 because nVidia's FX cards cannot handle pure dx9.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was the fact that antialiasing wouldn't run properly on nvidia cards and nvidia had been funding hl2 for a while. I find this funny because ati also has links with valve as we all saw with the alcatraz video.

Best answers
HL2 dosn't run better on nVidia cards, thats a load of pig crap. Years ago, the XTs were bundled with 'HL2 free cards,' which have now expired. HL2 will have the ATi logo all over it. While Doom 3 will have the nVidia logo all over it.
As for the XT having better benchmarks. Can you REALLY decide a card on a few FPS? According to TomsHardware benchmarks, which were taken before the 6800 raised their clock speeds, it was either very close, tied, or beat the X800 by a smidgen.
You cannot, I repeat you cannot decide a card's worth based on benchmarks alone. I have friends that have blown out their ATi cards, have had driver problems at every LAN. And these people aren't stupid. They just get problems with their cards. Before ATi stepped up in their Catalyst drivers they needed patches for Soldner, HL, and FarCry.
Reportedly, the reason Carmack went with nVidia is because it was an ATi employee that leaked the very early Doom 3 alpha that was displayed at the 2001 (maybe 2002, can't remember) E3.
For those reasons alone, I choose nVidia. By the way, their were allegations being made against the Canadian company of also cheating on their benchmarks, using similar nVidia tactics. No one picked up on these allegations, because no one cares what ATi cheats on, only what nVidia cheats on.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never said they run better on nVidia cards, I said they spent 5x more time optimizing the game for nVidia then for ATi and that they have to use a mix of dx8 and 9 to make it have semi-decent fps. The 9600XT beats the 5900Ultra in a lot of half life 2 benchmarks in pure dx9.

The reason the "HL2 free cards" expired was because Half life 2 was pushed back further than ATi was hoping for and realized they were wasting money on it.

And yes, a few fps is worth choosing one over the other, especially considering ATi's image quality compared to nVidia's.

Yes, ATi used driver cheats about the time GeForce 3 was out for their 8500, but when they were found out, they stopped immediately and haven't cheated since. nVidia, on the other hand, was caught and denied it, paying millions to Futuremark to drop the claims, and continueing until they got the idea that cheating was wrong. But there still are some of their "famous" optimizations in some games, as in changing the name of some programs will result in a lot worse performance due to the "optimizations" not recognizing the program it should "optimize."

In conclusion, ATi dropped the free half life 2 due to it being pushed back too far, XT is better in benchmarks and a lot of games, ATi's drivers are just as good as nVidia's now, and ATi have stopped cheating.

Best answers
There was a recent article on ATi RECENLY cheating. I'll find it if I can.

nVidia's new solution. Their SLI is patented. Just another example of how nVidia is a far more creative and innovative company than ATi.
Also, image quality isn't something drivers can't fix. The early images of the 6800 weren't as good as the X800. So, they'll fix it with the drivers. The 60 series forceware drivers are going to blow away the catalysts in terms of performance gained.
In terms of overclocking, the 6800 also has way more room to overclock than the X800, as ATi pushed their clock speeds up as far as they could without getting artifacts to combat the 6800's press release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom