Radars, dragon balls, enemies sensing system...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Radars, dragon balls, enemies sensing system...

If you look close the dbz universe and compare with esf, one thing on the game that doesnt fit very well the anime is about the way you deal to spot dragon balls and enemies...

The way the scouter works on esf isnt quite like the anime. In the anime the scouter doesnt show points of enemies as a plane radar but yes their directions and the amount power of the source with a target if you looking on that direction...

So looking carefully this and the dbz universe I have a suggestion of a new system of deal with enemies and dragon balls... Here is my suggestion:

- Change the Scouter to a Dragon Radar with the ability of zoom in/out(now that the maps is A LOT higher). The dragon radar would only show the DBs.

- To search for another players, it would be applied a Sense Ki System based on the Sense Dragon balls system(that there is in evm as long as I remember... I will explain it). It would work like this: The ESF Team would assign a default button on the keyboard that when pressed would make the players send signals like "expanding rings around the character" for a set amount of seconds. This rings would be in Red for enemies, Green for allies and the maximum size it would go depends of how much powerful they are in relation to you. This would serve for enemies that are on a great distance from you.
Another addittion would be that when you a certain close to another player, it would appear a ring around your character with arrows pointing to the direction of the player and colored with green(allies) or red(enemies). These arrows would circulate on the ring as long you or the other player is moving so if your enemie teleports to right behind you, the arrow would go immediately to your back pointing to behind... The ring would look like this:

But of course with the arrows attached on it. This Sense Near Ki Sources system is based on the situations that frequently happens on dbz when for example Frieza teleports to Goku's behind and he knows right way, and teleports too to counterattack. Like on this vid from 1:08 to 1:11:
[video=youtube;I_d_l2D_iAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_d_l2D_iAo[/video]

Some of you could think this system could help noobies spot you, but I already have thought a way to avoid that: It would be implemented too a Hide PL button that when pressed and held, it would make your ki presence invisible to him. When you hide your PL you automatically descend to your normal form as long you're holding the button(because I never saw any of the z warriors who are in kaioken, ssj and so; capable of hide his PL unless they descend...) , and when you leave it you return to the trasformation state you were before.

The Scouter wouldnt be excluded of the game but it would be used in another way... The way you would get it would be asking shenron for it and it wouldn't replace the dragon radar. Its use would be like the CS' Nightvision googles: the screen would turn green, red or blue(ESF team choose which of them, since on dbz there are many colors of the scouter's glass... ^^) with scouter's texture(those vertical and horizontal lines),to make the impression that you are using a scouter.

His utility is that it automatically attach targets(with green/red color) to the players of the direction you're looking with info about them(Name, Class, PL) without having to aim at them no matter how far they are, as long they arent hiding their PL, making unnecessary the use of Sense ki System anymore(that has as negative point: limited amount of time of seeing the signal making you have to press the button again).
This scouter could be stolen from you if someone happens to kill you "with simple melee". If you happen to die by a beam(or spirit Bomb, no matter...), the scouter would be gone too...

Characters Atributes:
Z Warriors: Can sense Ki and Hide their PL
Androids(except Cell): Cant sense ki but either cant be detected by others with ki sense unless they're charging/firing beams
All other villans: can do the same thing as Z Warriors

I have anothers suggestions but I already got tired of typing, I will post it later...

So what do you think? Ideas that could improve it more are welcome!:yes:

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well as you said. We dont stick to the anime world. We do things our own way within the specified parameters. Be it maps, textures and even workings of certain attacks.

ESF is a fast paced game, so a hide PL button has no place in it. That and we already have to many buttons in use for the game. We are trying to tone it down, rather than get more of them in.

The dragon radar/scouter is a sprite. You can change that if you wish after release. We have a system in place that lets you install and use multiple HUDs with an easy way to change between them. The only reason why we are using a scouter as the radar is because it was a good excuse compared to having a radar floating round showing you the opponents. Additionally zooming in and out would require you to actually have time when playing ESF and that you dont have + the thing with as little buttons in use as possible ^^;

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Im not asking for new buttons... The dragon radar zoom in/out would use the same F9 scouter uses(pressed 1º time: activate; 2º:zoom out; 3º: + zoom out). It would ony replace those 3 radar you get pressing F9(mixed, player, radar). And so the hide pl button can replace another not really useful...

I didnt understand what you just said: "We dont stick to the anime world". So why make a mod based on Dbz???:rolleyes:

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega meant they don't stick to the anime in ways which would not make sense in a game.

The radar and scouter are only useful when you have the time to check out the other person's powerlevel. In a fast paced game like Esf, no one has the time to do that, that is why we have a make shift radar/scouter, and only those that want it, will use it.

Radars will only be useful if there are less no. of people in a server, spread around a huge map. And even in that case, the current one is fine. Although adding the zoom function might help.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So you would have to cycle though the 3 radar modes just to zoom in or out.

As for not sticking to the DBZ world is ment like this. We do things our way. If we wanted to give Goku an attack where he calls Optimus Prime for help, we would do it. We make the attacks, levels and even character properties and transformations themselves as we see fit, rather than what they were in the anime. We can add an official map thats a gigant living room (All hail RATZ maps from 1.1) and still say the game is based on Dragonball Z. Basically we take the look from the manga, and make the mechanics our selves.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I understood... But I made the idea of this system because the one esf uses are not very effective. To see dragon balls and enemies you have to be a certain close to them, so while you searching for them you are vulnerable to receive attacks... And now that the maps are are a lot bigger, it would make the things even worse...

I thought this Sense Ki system would fit very good the new esf. The size of the maps is like a world's size...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The maps are bigger, but not once are you in danger when you dont see someone. Additionally our new scouter even shows KI attacks as blue dots. And you wont be able to pick up dragonballs as a normal player anyhow. But thats for the special CTDB game mode. It was mentioned a few times in the past.

1 person per team will be a special character with no teleport, no turbo, no attacks aside of some kiblasts. He will be the only person who can gather the dragonballs for the team. The rest of the players have to protect him, while attacking the other teams carrier.

Thats a basic outline of whats planned for CTDB. And please dont mention how the DBs work in EVM or ECX as thats a broken system proven since ESF 1.0

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually sort of like the KI sense function. I would imagine it would work in a similar fashion as in Metal Gear Solid 4, the sound meter around Solid Snake works(By that, I mean the dotted line that runs around Snake)? Though, in ESF it would react to KI rather than sound, would be a lot more 'fun' to use rather than a radar. It would also fit better into the game, as the effect would take place around your character, rather than a seperate object in the top right of your screen.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldnt it look weird with multiple enemies round you with different elevations. I see it cloging up the screen space.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Make it semi-transparent. Then even if you had too many people around you, you just ignore it. Also, making it toggle-able like the radar would help.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It would also fit better into the game, as the effect would take place around your character, rather than a seperate object in the top right of your screen.
I agree with Sicron! In all my years of ESF, paying attention to a single little thing on the top right of the screen is not very effective and a annoying thing to do everytime, as while you're doing it you lost focus whats going on around you, making you vulnerable if you are close enough with someone(mainly this happens after a frustrated try of melee attack: your enemy teleports and you have to make distance and search on the scouter...)

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldnt it look weird with multiple enemies round you with different elevations. I see it cloging up the screen space.
Not really, as it was a small dotted line, semi-transparant in MGS4, you really only noticed it when you paid attention to it. And it was really useful at times. But when the fighting got rough, you barely noticed that there was a dotted circle around Snake.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with Sicron! In all my years of ESF, paying attention to a single little thing on the top right of the screen is not very effective and a annoying thing to do everytime, as while you're doing it you lost focus whats going on around you, making you vulnerable if you are close enough with someone(mainly this happens after a frustrated try of melee attack: your enemy teleports and you have to make distance and search on the scouter...)
I wouldnt know about that. In all my years of playing ESF the only times i use the scouter is when im in a 1 on 1 match. When im in a public server the scouter is turned off.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Thats why you dont matter so much about the scouter... But for me all the server I got into the ping is about 200 so its indispensable the use of it...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
200 ping will kill you in ESF, the difference in reaction time is just that big. With that ping i can play low to medium skill players in ESF, while the rest kill me. The perfect ESF ping is below 100.

In any case i guess its up to the coders if they want to code this in or not, seeing as they have quite a few things to do ^^;

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Even though the radar doesn't really bother me, the ring idea does sound appealing. It would make the feel of the game a lil better. It would really feel like you're 'sensing' someone right before they attack just like in the show.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can we have a vote?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
-=[EEF]=-Ghost;989983 said:
Even though the radar doesn't really bother me, the ring idea does sound appealing. It would make the feel of the game a lil better. It would really feel like you're 'sensing' someone right before they attack just like in the show.
That's the point of this suggestion.

Can we have a vote?
Actually, its not a bad idea...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again this is up to weather or not the coders feel and have time to implement something of the sort. A vote will not really change the outcome. But be my guest. Thats what the esf-chat section is for.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So can a coder come and have a say in this? Just wanna know their opinion on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom