R.I.P: The common nerd

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Recently i've noticed a disturbing lack of nerdery...or geekery. This largely stems from the benchpress thread and my low standing on it. Today I went to the gym and saw muscular behemoths benching 200lbs, instantly realising a large number of people, members of a DBZ forum, who posted in that thread (claiming they) could bench more.

Now I don't know about you, but that kind of shatters my perceptions of geekery. What happened to the pasty white skin and scrawny/tubby frame of your typical basement-living DnD-playing nerd? Since moving to London i've noticed you don't find them around anymore. I went into Game last week to pick up Budokai Tenkaichi and all the shoppers seemed to be 18 year old well-built males in designer clothing. I was expecting greasy hair, braces, glasses, acne and Red Dwarf T-shirts. Even the guy at the counter looked like he could crush my skull between his pecs if he felt like it.

Am I the only one noticing this disturbing trend? Help save the common nerd from extinction!

Best answers
Yeah, I also see it, but the common nerd is blending in with the common person, so its hard to figure out who's a nerd or not anymore. Im not really a nerd, if you knew me personally you would think that too, im too much of an angry person and an apparently people fear me at school, which i dont mind, I never knew though that people are afraid of me ever since i started fighting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Theres a difference between working out with 200 lbs and being able to do a single rep at 200 lbs.

Geeks still exist. Theyre harder to see now, but every now and then youll see a pack of them lurking in a corner playing Magic, or playing Space Empires 4 (I had to ask...) on a laptop in a physics review. Besides, these are the days of contact lenses, transparent braces. WoW, and computer games in general, have become so mainstream that you cant really call the people who play it nerds anymore. The nerds arent gone, theyve simply merged with the rest of us, waiting...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I consider myself to be a nerd. However, I have quite a social life, dress nicely, and 'go out' (Hence the social life part). On the other hand though, I like to get 'geeky' and play old school games (NES/SNES/Early Gameboy) and talk tech/games (in-depth) which most 'normal' people tend to give weird looks or stares when I talk about the stuff in public with friends.

To me, it doesn't matter. I don't see the problem with 'nerds' -- There are people who talk about fashion 24/7 (example) -- Everyone is a nerd in their own way.

As for the stereotypical nerd; this image is changing due to the fact that, yes, gaming is mainstream now. Way back in the day gaming was a 'uncool' thing to do and football was considered the complete opposite.

Now I just find myself ranting, hopefully you guys will understand what I mean :p

Best answers
I surely am a nerd and I´m happy.I spend a lot of time playing computer games, I play magic the gathering, I like all sorts of mythology and magical stuff and i study pretty much.I don´t have a real 'social life.'I hang out mostly with 1 friend who is the best student in our class, but I wouldn´t count myself weak.I could beat up at least 99% of our class, because they are just a group of weaklings copying what those 'popular dwarfs' tell them to do.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I know I am a nerd. I play games at least 4-5 hours a day. I play magic the gathering (just started). But I dont study, I have loads of friends (even jocks) and I am incredibly aggresive. I used to play rugby (US football without any protection and a few slight diffrences) but I had to stop because of a few injuries. I also skate a lot and I like punk music. So I guess Im a nerd, jock, skater, punk. :( Im everything people dont like. :(

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
The thing's I like doing consider my a nerd, but I am also into alot of other things, I have a decent job and social life. I'm not out of shape, but I'm not one of those ultra homosexual-bulge-over-the-face gymgoers either.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those stereotypes have never been true. I have always liked D20 games, I like videogames, but I am not a pasty skinned scrawny nerd. I have had plenty of girlfriends and kicked my fair share of ass when it was called for in my younger days; I was never good at sports but I certainly was not terrible at them.

I find a lot of people misrepresent the amount of weight they can life because most weights Ii've seen are measured in kilos and NOT pounds.

If anyone here can bench press 200+ pounds they need to call Vince McMahon immediately.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if you ask me id say im a freak ^^

Hence i act on thought. I think of something and than i do it. Im a sword fanatic and i know tons about planes and spaceflight. That and still wearing a T-shirt at 5°c ^^

But moastly i like to pump adrenalin in my vains with some good old downhill :p

Dunno you tell me is that nerd or not ^^

Best answers
well i am a geek for sure when it comes to old school nes and atari...i even go to when i had my very own star wars pinball game that my mother sold which upset me very much.

Now, yea i know i am not your typical nerd.....maybe 4 of them combined but that is besides the point, appearance or stereotyping for nerd is just as bad ass stereotyping gym goers who have 0% body fat.

the few that knew me, knew i used to drink well.....almost every night, and smoke a cigar with a friend, while playing esf and watching sin city.......not like i did that every night...but like 4 times a week >.>. I consider myself a mutt of geek,nerd,jock,prep all in one...everyone liked me but no one knew what i did outside of class. That was my highschool reputation...a kid that was nice to everyone, friends with everyone, didn't want to piss off, and was a mystery outside of school....i used to go to wrestling practice, come home, eat, watch anime and play video games...and for 6 almost 7 years now...my friday night and saturday night consisted of DDR for at least 3-4 hours...that was my social life....DDR. This was before it became really popular here as in USA mix, 2nd mix and the dreaded ((though i love it)) 3rd mix with korean and SSR mode. I used to enjoy getting crowds at "Sports Plus" an arcade/hockey/bowling/party arena. I am probably going to do it on halloween just to get the family's watching. I used to get paid to play for sports plus which is sad in my eyes...i was 275+ Doing hand plants, sitting on arrows and i have a video of me passing max 300 basic, double....using my ass cheeks ONLY...i could hit 2 arrows at once it was that PHAT. I honestly don't know where i am going with this and i understand i am pulling a george bush ADD moment so i am going to stop here and just hit the post button

btw saiyan...you mean 200 kilos not pounds

9th graders now in my old high school bench 200 pounds...200 kilos though..i can't even bench that much yet

200 kilos = roughly 440 pounds

I bench 375 pounds which = 170 - 171 kilo's. I am close and if you ever seen a picture of me, you would know damn well that it is possible

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh heh, one look at me, you wouldn't even think I knew what a "forum" was. The older the people, the less geeky they seem to be. It's the younger teens that seem to fit the stereotype of geeks. It's good to see more "for real" people on the internet.

My defintion of a nerd isn't someone who can program, or model, or is very smart, or any kind of that stuff. It's their behavior. If they have an extreme obssesion over anime at an annoying level, that's what I see as a geek (OMG j00 baka!! Naruto>>>InuYasha, I <3 Sasuke ^_^). If they think Counter Strike, Numa Numa, and being "l337">real life, that is what I see as a geek.

They are still around, however, you just have to know where to look.

Best answers
Your right. I dress very casual, very nice. I'm a big nerd, and everyone knows it, but I'm popular in my school. But, I'm tellin you what, bein geeky is comming back, you just wait until I get my glasses.

Best answers
you just wait until I get my glasses.
^_^ What about contact lenses instead.

and was a mystery outside of school
That's exactly how i am outside of school, well sorta. Except i put on more of an act myself.

Im actually one of those girls, who's pretty popular in high school, i know alot of people, and i hang around the same kinda people. I have actually seen a few people a few times during lunch, who was talking about anime/manga and/or people who were hardcore video games at school, and we sometimes hear them and end up talking pretty badly about them and they tell us we just don't understand, and we continue on from there with the usual you guys don't have a life, your losers and ect.

I just sorta crack a fake smile most of the time while my friends are talking and nod my head abit and agree with them and say my input, then go back to talking on my cell, knowing in reality that i would love nothing more then to be over there speaking my mind with them as well. I don't bother debating my friends about it because not only do i want their outlook too change on me, im also not that good in heated debates, i tend too get really emotional, and fail to come up with proper words too get my point across, so i just go on putting up the act.

Even when i go too the mall with them, i swear it's really tempting too go into a video game store and stuff. Instead of shopping for clothes, shoes and talking or waiting on someone too talk too boys all the time, that's so boring after a while when you do it almost every weekend, but whatever.

But once i get home, and if im not bringing any friends back with me, it's like im a whole different person. Im posting on boards and fourms for hours, and playing games and watching my anime dvds that i claim too be my brother's when my friends are over and ect. I actually have a great friend at school who i don't talk too unless im at home who shares the same exact interest in things i do, and he kinda hate's how fake i am too people at school, but personally i don't care, it's high school, it's suppose to be some of the best years of my life which is true so far, and i will not spend it as being portrayed as some nerdy chick due too stereotyping.

( Even if it's sorta true from their view, even though i don't think i am at all.)

Best answers
Someone once said I do a lot of things nerds would do, and like a lot of things nerds like, but I'm not a nerd at all.

Which is nice, I guess.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nerds really blend in quite nicely these days. I see more people who in fact dont know jack **** about computers, animes etc. but they look 100% nerdish. The stereotypical nerd is dying out, we have to save this glorious species.

P.S. Only u can save them

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's just being a stereotype.

Just because we like to play games. Doesn't make us nerds. There's more to life than video games. We all know that. And most of us only play when we have the time. Like today, I have absolutely nothing to do. So i've been playing nothing but Counter strike: Source, and ESF. But I also have a social life with which i go out to see friends, go to parties, work etc. I also enjoy sports so I play baseball basket ball and sometimes soccer. I go to the gym at least once a day for an hour, and I play guitar and piano. If people who played video games were nerds, then everyone on earth is a nerd. Because I can bet you there isn't one person on earth (except homeless people) haven't played a video game.

And you don't see pastey white kids because of how hard people are striving to be "cool" doing what's "in"

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
If anyone here can bench press 200+ pounds they need to call Vince McMahon immediately.
Yeah, i hear you man. Hopefully, if things go right for me, i will be in the WWE, kicking ass, and a next title holder.

@ Jakut - you can save the species without me, i dont wanna be known as a nerd. (no offense anyone, if it offends anyone)

Best answers
geeky as in having a lot of "know how" or intelligence in something? Then yeah, everyone is geeky about something, even the rap lovers are geeky, geeky about rap.

Im geeky about weather, im a real weather geek, ask me a question, chances are I know it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use to be in the nerd stages (even though i didn't meet the apperance standards for a nerd of hardcore gaming freak as people like to consider them), I was.

I guess I can consider my self the average person, just with a bit of a nerdy twist =O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom