Questions RE: Wacoms and Skinning

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was thinking of buying myself a Wacom tablet for christmas. I'm truly tired of using the mouse, and I think it'd help me skin and paint in general. However, I've never even touched one.

I come to you, ESF, for assistance. To anyone here who Wacoms...

1. What size tablet do you have and is it enough?

2. Was it worth it?

3. How does it work? I know it isnt a tablet PC, so you're touching a blank surface while looking at the screen? Is this uncomfortable?

4. Can the tablet + pen/stylus be used as a mouse, for... say... games?

Best answers
Ill help answer this one since i have one.

1. 6x8 is a good choice since its pretty large on its own (6x8 is just the screen size, so you need to take that into consideration with your desk space available
-if you have the room and the extra cash then anything higher is up to you-

2. well worth it.

3. yes pretty much your drawing on a blank flat screen, while watching your monitor (but with photoshop having such nice options for cursur types its no problem keep your place)
-it does a take a bit to get used to though, it feels nothing like writing/drawing on paper (you glide!)

4. for normal applications its a pretty good mouse, but i would not game with one unless maybe doing RTS -but fps? nooooo.. way-
(it comes with a mouse too. incase you dont want your tablet and mouse pad and other mouse in the way.
===========

Ive got the Intuous 3 6x8 tablet. (cause of small deskspace and it was a great price well worth it).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CM said:
=1. What size tablet do you have and is it enough?
It's about the size of my hand with fully outstretched fingers, it's quite enough once you get used to it.

2. Was it worth it?
I'm gonna be honest with you, at first, you are gonna wonder why you wasted money on it. It takes ALOT of practice to get used to it. It feels really weird drawing down and looking up. But keep at it and in about a month it'll be second nature.

3. How does it work? I know it isnt a tablet PC, so you're touching a blank surface while looking at the screen? Is this uncomfortable?
See above, but to reiterate, yeah it is uncomfortable till you get used to it. You basically draw like on paper but it only shows up on the screen. It's really handy for line weights and the such though.

4. Can the tablet + pen/stylus be used as a mouse, for... say... games?
I've never tried it, but it can be used as a mouse around the desktop and internet so I don't see why not. Though I can't imagine why you'd want to use it like that.

In my final note, make sure you are a good artist on paper before trying the tablet or else it's not a wise investment and your sunk.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not sure why this is in modelling...

Bounced to Tech Bench.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. What size tablet do you have and is it enough? 6x8, yes.

2. Was it worth it? sometimes I think not, but yes.

3. How does it work? I know it isnt a tablet PC, so you're touching a blank surface while looking at the screen? Is this uncomfortable? at first, but not really..

4. Can the tablet + pen/stylus be used as a mouse, for... say... games? yes, but for CS I noticed some problems XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom