Questions about Tweak Subjects

Best answers
On some threads there are things about the refresh rate and vsync that help increase the performance of the game. I wanna know how they are related to increasing the fps and such.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know that if you turn Vsync off you should get better performance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phatslugga said:
I know that if you turn Vsync off you should get better performance.
He asked how it increases performance :p

-On Topic-
Well, I don't really know. I think I asked this question in the 'Ping/Fps tweaks' thread. Not sure if it was answered, but if I were you, I would browse around that thread and find your answer ;)

Best answers
Vsync prevents frame tear, but in return you get lower FPS

Your refresh rate is how high your FPS can go(I think)

Best answers
The refresh rate is measured in Hertz, and it is the number of times a second that a frame is displayed on your monitor. 80 Hertz, means 80 frames are drawn on your monitor every second.

VSync forces Half-life to generate a number of frames that is the same or a factor of your refresh rate, depending on your performance.

Example: You set your monitor to 80 Hertz.

So, if you set VSync your frames per second in Half-life will be..80..or 40...or 20....depending on what your computer can handle.

VSync off, means that Half-life just lets your computer generate as many Frames per second as it can, but this can result in frame tear, because they are not synchronised.

Anyways, that's a basic explaination. People feel free to dispute it if you want.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MyStiX said:
He asked how it increases performance :p
No he asked how they are related to help performance increase in game. I gave him the info i knew in relation to Vsync and game performance. So there. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom