Best answers
I have started mapping HL and have made some rooms and such that worked, however. I haven't figured the sky box thing out yet and haven't found good info. on it. Also I noticed compiling a map with a room bigger than about 4000 units doesn't compile (max leafs error), so how did you make such big maps ? Did you also make your models smaller and how exactly, I know some coding also if you could explain. Thanks a lot if you can help...

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
scaling textures...

Best answers
Sorry but that isn't telling me much...
I have found some(little) info on scaling but it's still a little strange.I guess counter strike is scaled down for bigger maps. I guess this means everything is smaller , but the unit size is still somthing I'm looking at. Guess I'll eventually figure it out...
Guess a comparison is garg to head crab kinda analogy....

Best answers
no actually

He means scale your textures up. You see, each time your texture repeats on a surface, thats 2 polygons. So if you scale the texture up to 2, you've already got 1/4 the polygons you had before. (1 repeat instead of 4=2 polys instead of 8) I like to make smaller things to fit the texture; that way each face is only 2 polygons.

Best answers
I see, that explains sky texture, it must have very little poly usage. So I want large textures for large areas(hope that eliminates the max leaf thingy), :)....
Thanks, I have to figure out the model scaling next, is there a scale factor in half life or do I have to physically reduce the model sizes in 3dmax... ?

Of course if anyone could comment on why I get this with some large textures I would greatly apprecite it...

WARNING: texture [ not found in BSP's wad file list!

Best answers
heh

It means you're trying to use a texture that isn't anywhere in a wad. Do an ALT+P while in Hammer and look for invalid textures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom