Question About Processors

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hello fellow technies! Sometime in the distant future I will be purchasing a Mac-based machine built for intense program renderings/post-processing (Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.). I don't want to get caught up in names because I know these new Intel iXs are something powerful but then the Mac Pro currently uses "Xeon".

This is what the blurb says at the customization screen on the online apple store

Two Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem” processors give you a total of eight processor cores for the ultimate in power and performance. Choose the speed you want.
Learn more

The Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor in the Mac Pro is based on the next-generation Intel Core microarchitecture, also known as Nehalem, and includes the following features:

* 8MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor, which boosts performance by keeping data and instructions in a fast-access cache that is available to all four processor cores.
* An integrated memory controller, which allows faster access to data stored in memory by significantly increasing memory bandwidth and reducing memory latency by up to 40%.
* Turbo Boost, a dynamic performance technology that automatically speeds up the cores in use when other cores aren’t needed.
* Hyper-Threading technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each processor core, providing eight virtual cores for increased performance.

Which processor speed is right for you? The more time you spend using processor-intensive applications — such as video processing, image editing, 3D rendering, and others — the more you’ll benefit from a higher-speed processor.

Processor

* Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
* Two 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $1,260.00]
* Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $2,340.00]
Now my Macbook Pro has a 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Is that stronger than Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors? And if I want this to be a gaming machine ( I would use BootCamp to run windows), which would work? The strongest GPU I can get from the online store is a ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB for an extra $180.00. Is that good enough to run a game like Just Cause 2 at/near full settings?

Again I am not buying this anytime soon (like, probably not for another year or two...or more), I am just trying to get a perspective on processors/gpus. If I were to get the 2.93 ghz as well as the ATI card, the entire computer comes to $5,500. Overpriced or around normal? Keep in mind that I'll probably be sticking with a Mac machine rather than a custom one running Windows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Over priced very much, but since you're going for a mac you can't circumvent that. Everything nehalem based is equivalent to the i7. The Xeon brand is focused at workstations but in essence it's still an i7 (main difference would be memory controllers, as workstations tend to use buffered RAM).
Those cpus are definitely faster than your core 2 duo.

If you want it for gaming, that would not entirely work. The 4870, while still a powerful GPU only has 512MB vram in that configuration (and is again, overpriced. I find those for 100€ = $119). Depending on resolution that is simply not enough nowadays (if you intend to run at 1920x1200 or higher it is definitely not enough).

As for just cause 2, the recommended specs say it needs a hd 5750, but you'd still be within minimum spec.

As a last word:
Do you really need a mac pro? You could try researching into building a "hackintosh" and shave off quite a lot off money from that price (e.g. if you don't really need dual cpus etc). You can outfit one with an i7 (even dual cpu) and a gtx 285, having both a fast gaming and work machine.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As a last word:
Do you really need a mac pro? You could try researching into building a "hackintosh" and shave off quite a lot off money from that price (e.g. if you don't really need dual cpus etc). You can outfit one with an i7 (even dual cpu) and a gtx 285, having both a fast gaming and work machine.
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the input. The hackintosh method crossed my mind but wold it be stable? And would it be illegal? Because if I can get a powerful computer that is capable of rendering intense 2D/3D graphics while being able to play the occasional computer game while shaving off a couple hundred (or thousand) dollar, I'm all for it if it's stable.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AFAIK as long as you pick supported hardware, a hackintosh should be as stable as a regular mac. Apple actually forbids installing OSX on non apple machines, so it is actually a breach of the EULA.

If my prices are right, you could save up to $2000 for the same parts as in that $5500 MP, or even more depending on your needs.

Found this on youtube, might wanna watch it: [video=youtube;2RZs-wAAxyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZs-wAAxyg&feature=channel[/video]

This page should also be of use :
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Edit2: FYI I configured a workstation at newegg, dual Nehalem 4 core intels (8 cores 16 threads, 3GHz) with 16 gig RAM and 2TB hard disk space for ~ $4200, apple price is $7k

Edit3: Of course if you don't need a dual cpu workstation class hack, you can go as low as $1200 for an i7 930 computer, all depends on your needs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom