Question about grammar.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, in school at English class, teacher wrote on blackboard:
"Chris's mother..."

I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't tell her it is "Chris' mother...". So which one is it?

BTW, she also read "Chris's" as "Chrises".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, you would pronounce it "Chrises" or "Travises" mother, but you would spell it as Chris' or Travis'.

I didn't see that second part hehe

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
She's right about the pronunciation, but the spelling would be Chris'

Bah, they beat me to it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
actually, she's wrong about the pronunciation.

the ' signifies the word should be followed by another, BUT, in this case, it shouldn't.

if the sentence would be "chris is xxx" then "chris' xxx" would be pronounced "chrisses".

but the sentance wouldn't logically have any other word between chris, and mom, so "chris' mom" would be pronounced chris, mom.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't believe you're correct there, Lee. That pronunciation doesn't make any sense. o_O

Force Pit Member
Best answers
actually, she's wrong about the pronunciation.

the ' signifies the word should be followed by another, BUT, in this case, it shouldn't.

if the sentence would be "chris is xxx" then "chris' xxx" would be pronounced "chrisses".

but the sentance wouldn't logically have any other word between chris, and mom, so "chris' mom" would be pronounced chris, mom.
That's not correct. "Chris is xxx" and "Chris' xxx" are two completely different sentences. One imply's that Chris is something, such as a verb or adjective. The other imply's ownership.

Chris is xxx could be Chris is hot, or Chris is annoying, or Chris is in town for the weekend.

Chris' mom, Chris' bike, those show ownership. You know who that bike belong to, and who the mom belongs to. You'd say "Chrisses", not "Chris, xxx"

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris' Mother would be the plural surely.

Chris's mother is the singular.

You only use a single apostrophe with no "s" when the noun contains 2 syllables that end in s, like "Jesus' Mother".

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
She is, she named all her kids Chris.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom