Q1 results are in! Nintendo leading the pack,

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I honestly have to eat my words now, because I was a doubter from the beginning, especially after they announced they were calling it the Wii.

Source.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not surprised, really. The 360's been out for a good while now, so the initial rush to get one is way past already. The PS3 at time of launch didn't have many great, let alone must-have, titles, and with its steep price made it inaccessible to many people. The Wii is cheaper, more unique and it had a Zelda at launch.

Now let's see where the big three stand at the end of the year.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now i know why we have to work so hard at Nintendo >_>
Im working at Nintendo of Europe, we are sending truck loads of pallets out "WII" and "DS" :p , and still the people are buying more, its insane:p

Best answers
SOunds great, too bad the Wii dosen't have many games.

By the end of 2007 the PS3 will probebly be competing with the Wii in hardware sales.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When 360 drops it price even more, just before they release Halo 3... it may be Microsoft who's leading.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure overall microsoft's made plenty of money with their head start. Perhaps not this year, but that is only because their console wasn't part of the rush in november.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I knew Microsoft would pwn in software...but wtf the DS is surprising o_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm both amazed that people still buy PS2's and that people buy DS's. Portable games just never appealed to me.

I'm very disappointed with the Wii right now... no Guitar Hero until 2008.

And I have yet to meet a single person who owns a PS3. There's a couple 360's, and several Wii's, but no PS3's.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I grow impatient with the PS3...But then again that's how the 360 was and it's kicking ass. I thought it would beat out both the Wii and PS3.

Ah well, give the two a year like the 360 did. Spiderman 3 the Game comes out in less than 2 weeks and my PS3 will be very busy when I get that =D.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well there's enough ps2's to go around, ps3's pretty much sold out, but you can't get up on the charts if you have no units ;o
Here in Vancouver, there's a few shops that sell em'.
One of the few, is a Sony shop, which has PS3's stacked nearly to the ceiling with a neat Blu-Ray/HD DVD comparison video.
I could get one, but I'd prefer to get a new PC =D

Best answers
well there's enough ps2's to go around, ps3's pretty much sold out, but you can't get up on the charts if you have no units ;o
There have been like 5 PS3s sitting in my Wal-Mart since Christmas.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Frankly I am not surprised that the DS and the Wii (especially the DS) are the best selling. Despite built under similar platforms (A new way of gaming), the Wii is just completely different then then DS. And, at times, I think the DS is many times greater then the Wii.

The Wii is a pure family console. Sure there is a few games out there for much more than just family stuff, but its built around a family platform. While the DS is meant for extreme multiplayer portable gaming. The DS allows people to actively search for people and play against them at any time. Not to mention the online capabilities from the very first day an online game came out. Nintendo DS has been just through the charts since then with online games.

That being said, I really want to see how drastically the Wii's online abilities will be used when the first online game comes out for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard they delayed its online untill 2008. And that includes the virtual console stuff, I think. I could be wrong, I really don't recall, but I distantly remember seeing it somewhere.

Best answers
DS wasnt that much of suprise to me. It still gets lot of innovative games, its cheap and you can use it everywhere. Not to mention because already so many people have it, Wireless network is easy to find...
I still expected Xbox 360 to be on top, Wii came as a small suprise. PS3 never appealed to me. Its too expensive, i doubt many parents would spend 600$ to give their kids a present, especially when theres cheaper, almost as cabable choices out there...

Best answers
at first i did not think the Wii would take off like it did, as for me, it just felt too much like a gimmic.... and still does, even though i have one.....

But at the moment im loving my 360, not over priced, got some must have games, and its online capabilities are just untouchable.

and if ya want to add me my gamertag is Keef01 haha

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard they delayed its online untill 2008. And that includes the virtual console stuff, I think. I could be wrong, I really don't recall, but I distantly remember seeing it somewhere.
The Wii has an active connection to the internet as soon as you get it, actually. I don't know whether you're referring to some new feature of the Virtual Console or not, but that, too, was available from day 1. As of yet, though, there are no online games for the Wii; I haven't been keeping with when such games will arrive, though. However, you shouldn't take that to mean that the Wii has no online capabilities at all. The Shop Channel (where you purchase the VC games) is already on the console when you get it, and the trial version of the internet channel has been available for some time (with the full version being released just about 2 weeks ago). The News and Weather Channels also (obviously) require online capabilities.

I must share in the opinion someone else posted previously, that it's not so surprising to see the DS doing so well. It might not have the graphical "shininess" that the PSP has, but the variety of games available, from new titles to some classics that have been given some new elements on the DS, really helps. I was also impressed with how well the system can handle online play - I barely noticed any lag or hiccups when I took Metroid Prime: Hunters online, and any hiccups I experienced while playing Mario Kart online were manageable, at the very least. I have to say that I'm also surprised to see so many DS owners among my fellow post-secondary students (though I don't condone DS use during lectures =P)

EDIT - I also would like to add that I'm quite pleased with Microsoft this time around; they're really holding their own with the 360. Each time I try some 360 titles at my buddy's house, I am more tempted to save up for one - they are really doing well and are roping in some very decent titles, this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom