Q: Max amount of faces?

Best answers
Dear fellow mappers,

My question is simple, but i couldn't find the answer somewhere.

What is the max amount of faces for a normal map?

Because i'm busy with a map that allready has 3000 faces.

grtz Mark

Best answers
i think HL can handle about 10000
but if you see too many at 1 time you'll get like 2 FPS

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
looo i had such a problem once and i found out the map was just to big since i used up the whole grid box :p

Best answers
on my new map i'm almost using the whole gridbox it's as big as possible

hope the thing helped you

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, finally my fellow berseker has entered these forums. Welcome.

If it's 3000, and the maps is done, then it's okay. If the map is "not" done, and even more faces have yet to be added, you really should consider reducing some brushes/faces. Like the ledges on that castle wall of your's.

Greets, JD.

Best answers
ive made a map with like around 9600 faces
worked fine
cant get the real amount since im at school

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
9600 faces? I highly doubt that. In WPoly number (number of ingame faces), that is a monunmental amount (game crash or 1 fps); if you meant in Hammer, ingame that number would be even higher because a lot of faces are broken into even more faces during a compile. If you mean brush number, that too is an incredibly large amount.

A good average for WPoly is around 800 - 1000. The number of faces really varies from map to map depending on the complexity of brushwork. If you have five faces intersecting one brush, that one brush will have its face broken down many times - increasing the number of faces rendered ingame.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what about more then 6 persons on that map ?

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you use null textures ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your map has brushes that you cannot see at one time. I assumed he was referring to an ESF map where you can see all brushes or nearly all brushes at the same time. You can have thousands of brushes in a map if you can manage to only see a few at a time. If you see them all at the same time, then you will get an insane WPoly amount. And by the way, you shouldn't use a terrain generator. It is best to make it by hand.

Best answers
Lol, that wasnt a terrain generator anyways, i did that my self.
i aint stupid :p
or a noob mapper.

and yes coldsteel i used null texture

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well then, you could have optimized terrain a lot. You can make the terrain more interesting and complex and less redundent. I don't mean to say you are a "noob", but that you can do a lot more with your terrain, including cutting total brush number.

Also, when you use a null texture, the face becomes invisible and not rendered. Therefore, that number you showed from Hammer doesn't count because the null textured sides are counted. Take the number of faces total and subtract the number of brushes you used time 5. That should give you a decent estimate of the number of brushes rendered ingame. I came up with about 450 faces rendered ingame. That is an estimate, ofcourse. My point is, there aren't truely over 9,000 faces on your map, anyway.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My point exactly, Optional.

Best answers
already knew what the nullbrush does...
but diesel_power was asking how many face's can you put in ya map if there was a limit, and well you can have tons lol.
also, the brushes on that map were made so that the size off the brushes was where the hl engine cuts the brushes when compiling.

anyways thats a kinda oldest map now anyways, so it doesnt look the greatest..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I assumed he meant ingame, since I thought it was obvious that there is no need to ask for a limit for faces in Hammer. You reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Why would he want to know the face limit in Hammer?

Best answers
for making a map?
the reasoning meant that when you compile a map it cuts the brushes by 224 units by 224 i think it was
so making the brushes the same size makes it easyier and doesnt cut the brushes up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom