Force Pit Member
Best answers
Psychologist/Therapist - Paid friend

It is not mine, but I heard it before

Express your opinions about this term.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Psychologists and therapists are two very different things. Psychologists study the science of how the mind works, while therapists talk people through their problems.

Therapists are more like somebody to talk to, they are quite helpful for people having a hard time, friends cannot always cater for peoples needs and somebody outside the loop being supportive is beneficial. Psychologists are similar in ways, but they actually study scientific theories of the mind and look at your problems in much more the same way a doctor will, psychologists are better for mental health problems, they will talk you through things, but they are also allowed to prescribe medication and give you the option of other treatments.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I know is... you get pills from both.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Psychologists and therapists are two very different things. Psychologists study the science of how the mind works, while therapists talk people through their problems.
Aren't most therapists also psychologists though?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are psychologists who are therapists (aka Clinical Psychologists), and there are, most definitely, therapists who are not psychologists (the last time I checked, the term "therapist" was not entirely regulated; at least not in Canada or the US).

Also, you wouldn't get your pills from either; if I'm not mistaken, it's a psychiatrist (a medical doctor with a specialty in physical illnesses that affect cognitive functioning) that prescribes medication. A clinical psychologist, I thought, was more inclined to talk you through problems, or employ behavior modification programs. Whatever the case, I wouldn't label them "paid friends", unless your friends have extended education in cognitive processes.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan and Majin_You have the basics down. Psychologists study the brain and try to find answers to your problems through therapy, psychiatrists study your case and prescribe you psychological medication for your condition. I'm not a particularly big fan of psychiatry as I find the DSM (the book they use to diagnose conditions and determine treatments) gets a little more loosey-goosey every time it is re-released, and you may find yourself getting diagnosed with a litany of questionable conditions such as "Road rage" and being prescribed placebos so the doctors have something to charge you for.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People go to shrinks precisely because of how foreign and objective they are when it comes to a person's issues. You don't want a friend hearing your **** because s/he is just going to view it from the perspective of a friend. You want someone who can call you out and say, "I know you thought you were being satirical by calling yourself a God Emperor, but the fact of the matter is you actually are a God Emperor, and you're trying to hide from the responsibility that comes with the title. Also, you're a douchebag."

I'm on the same boat as Boyster when it comes to psychiatry. I believe anything (I'm not talking about physical ailments, Jinx. I know you're out there) that isn't purely a case of the crazies can be solved by taking the time to sit down, reflect, understand what your issue is and then consciously trying to change it and better yourself. That isn't to say medication doesn't help some people, and I'm sure schizophrenics love being able to do **** without having the guy in the picture on the wall telling them to go **** themselves, but a lot of the time, it's just a cop out. If you're sad or depressed, find out what's causing it. Taking a pill doesn't make the cause go away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom