Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
mine

sorry i couldnt have it better quality , my comp crashed b4 i got the chance to save it as a png i saved it only as a gif first :(

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, from now until the end of this contest all of you will only post in this thread if you are submitting a cover. NO COMMENTING FOR NOW. If you do post comments will get deleted.

Best answers
Edited**

I have read SS_Vegeta's post and I agree, and I wouldnt have made this cover if I wasnt so damn tired in the first place :p

Best answers
See alot of these covers would NEVER be for actual ps or ps2 games. I follow the industry. I've been watching cover art for games in anticipation that I will be making one. Cover art isn't art. Its a representation of the game. Not a whole bunch of flashy lookin covers with some text. Usually a game cover is an originally drawn character thats imposed ontop of or next to some test with a black background. This contest though, it sort of limits that unless you have an incredible imagination. All those layers you guys used that you made in 3dsm wouldn't be in the final product. It clutters the screen and does not represent the pruduct to its fullest. Thats why sometimes you want to buy a game based on how it's cover looks. Because its captivating. Like Sonic's Doomsday or Hsu's Cell's Revenge. They stick out because they have contrast. Thats what all this is about. -DiGi.GoHaN's Tekken Tag 2 and the two MGS3 covers are very acceptable. But from what i've seen, Ryoko's second one with the over lapping layer of sketchy blue takes away from the colorful action in the background.

Alright that's all I have to say. I just wanted to speak my mind on this so maybe we could see some more captivating covers.

PS Hsu dont delete this one please. I am on the team ya know. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey I realise im not to good.. but you say mines bad because it doesn't conform to what the industry sets? Tad unfair I think, I aint a professional, and never will be. Most of the industry game covers I see are not too good... although I havent looked recently.

Heres the big difference. They are paid to create work, I am not.

Guess im sorry because I can't conform to the industry and professionals =[

Best answers
Hmm...do u guys think mine was too flashy? I tried to take that out by adding the objects i made...but anyways i agree with ss_vageta, all these covers are great, but some are too flashy/effective to be on a video game cover. {O and btw please let everyone comment, only delete the posts that have nothing to do with any of this and or flame, etc.} :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ryoko he wasnt attacking u he was saying that most video game covers r very plain for a reason. they want show off the characters and overall look of the game. just because u can do the most advanced looking technical effects ever doesnt necissarily mean u should. take a look at some of the games

xenogears = fei with a faded robot and elly, ontop of a clouded background.

final fantasy 8 = squall, rhiona, seipher with a faded sorcerres over a black bg.

final fantas 7 = cloud looking at a somewhat faded mako reacter witha clouded bg and a couple manipulations on the right part of the reactor.

they r all very plain and simple looking but yet still get what they want across. now i really dont know if thats exactly what they di but thats what it looks like.

overal sometimes simplicity is best

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by 1m4 0wn y0 455
Thats why I like Neco's it looks the closeest to an actual game cover o_O; IMO Of course

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ryoko he wasnt attacking u he was saying that most video game covers r very plain for a reason. they want show off the characters and overall look of the game. just because u can do the most advanced looking technical effects ever doesnt necissarily mean u should. take a look at some of the games

final fantasy 8 = squall, rhiona, seipher with a faded sorcerres over a black bg.

final fantas 7 = cloud looking at a somewhat faded mako reacter witha clouded bg and a couple manipulations on the right part of the reactor.

they r all very plain and simple looking but yet still get what they want across. now i really dont know if thats exactly what they di but thats what it looks like.

Mine are simple tho... and im really not that good.
He's comapring us to pro's... still not fair.

Naz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just because it's not been done in the industry doesn't mean it's bad, why is the way ppl do it here not the right way? how can u even speak of "the right way"? seriously . Just because ppl think simple sells doesn't mean it's always the right thing, it's just that other things arent tested before :)

grtz Naz

Best answers
I'm not comparing. I just saying your methods completely different. I think you guys are looking at this from the stand point of art rather than what a game cover is. It's just supposed to catch your eye. That's the only reason game covers exist. Something too flashy turns people off. But something simple works.

And I like everyones works here as art. I just dont think they would be very viable as real covers. And Ryoko I actually like yours most over alot of the others. The reason yours cross the line are the opaque rendered layers you over lapped ontop of the action of the peice. for instance your second entry, the one I really like, is hindered by that final layer. If you took it off It may look better.

Best answers
Game covers are plain for no other reason than most american game companies don't pay the money to get a cover, or any 2D media for that matter, properly designed. The only one I can think of in recent memory that was done well is Metal Gear Solid 2, and even then the back of the box was terrible. There's no lofty game design regulation that says boxes have to look the same. There's absolutely no reason that you can't design what you refer to as "complicated." Design has very few actual rules, and if you know them you can break them the right way and still make it work. All that matters is that you have a REASON for doing something a certain way. Look at Japanese design of anything, it's cluttered to hell and last I checked they still bought video games over there.

Best answers

True they are simple, but they wer also all produced by the same company and designed by the same people. All the EA games look the same too, and the Midway franchises, that by no means makes them better. It's called "corporate identity" or "product identity", Square just wants you to be able to recognize a Square product when you see it. It's along the same lines as the old Nintendo seal of approval, and the monolithic IBM logo. Just because someone else does something a certain way doesn't mean you have to.

Why be the sheep when you can be the shepherd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by SS_Vegeta
I'm not comparing. I just saying your methods completely different. I think you guys are looking at this from the stand point of art rather than what a game cover is. It's just supposed to catch your eye. That's the only reason game covers exist. Something too flashy turns people off. But something simple works.

And I like everyones works here as art. I just dont think they would be very viable as real covers. And Ryoko I actually like yours most over alot of the others. The reason yours cross the line are the opaque rendered layers you over lapped ontop of the action of the peice. for instance your second entry, the one I really like, is hindered by that final layer. If you took it off It may look better.
I can't remember what my second one was. ~_~ If it's what Im thinking, it's just a bg with an image overlayed, or somehting like that. I don't really care anymore =[

I like my ps2 one tho =]

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my new and yes this is my best one so it'll stay I'm not entering the last one

BTW didn't HSU say no commenting?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think owas has to be one of the most realistic looking covers ive seen so far. if the detail on the dragon were bit more defined id say it would be our winner but thats just m opinion

Best answers
Actually I think mine is the most realistic. I have been showing it to people around the net and not one of them thought it was a fake. As for all this talk on making the cover simple...it's nothing I have not said before. OWA's is good but the background washes out his overlay of the dragon...or whatever that is.

Best answers
Well, unlike Ryoko and some people say, I DO plan on working for the gaming industry (not Cd cover design lol), but I do plan on working in the game industry doing Game Skinning/Texturing, or whatever skills I may pick up along the way, which may even include cinematic artist.

So I accept any and all comments.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom