PSP- crap?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
Bt whats so good about the psp
The fact that it's equally powerful to the PS2, and it's a handheld?

IMO DS has a lot of gimmicks,
Touch Screen!
Voice Recognition!
Pictochat?
Cheese Grader!
POKEMANS!
:-\

I can imagine it now, all the 10 year olds screaming at their dual screens....

I CHOOSE YOU PIKACHUUUUUU!!!!!!!!111 lololololol.... :S

Best answers
Let's not forget Oppteh, that the DS just isn't pirate compatable. Such a let down. :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's what's gonna be good about the PSP: it'll have some games to play, and they'll be good. You know, as opposed to all these really horribly useless battery devouring functions that have no purpose use or meaning on a game machine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'll be good, but im behind Nintendo all the way. PSP is just a very expensive small version of the PS2, (no, really) and at least Nintendo can come up with something new unlike Sony, who have yet to name their consoles something other than PlayStation. This shows creatiity. Fair enough, nintendo have brought out some games for the younger audience over the years, but most of thos games, where for the whole audience. Unlike Nintendo, Sony lack the creativity of Nintendo, and lack their own games, only satisfied with Gran Turismo, and the blatant crappy copy of Zelda, Dark Cloud.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ness said:
It'll be good, but im behind Nintendo all the way. PSP is just a very expensive small version of the PS2, (no, really) and at least Nintendo can come up with something new unlike Sony, who have yet to name their consoles something other than PlayStation. This shows creatiity. Fair enough, nintendo have brought out some games for the younger audience over the years, but most of thos games, where for the whole audience. Unlike Nintendo, Sony lack the creativity of Nintendo, and lack their own games, only satisfied with Gran Turismo, and the blatant crappy copy of Zelda, Dark Cloud.
Creativity?
Handheld... Nintendo.....Two Screens....

NINTENDO DUAL SCREEN! IT'S GENIUS!

I'm sorry, but it doesn't take some moron with a degree in marketing to come up with a name like that. And last the I checked, it wasn't the name that sold the console/handheld because one is more "clever" than the other.

You may argue that Nintendo has better games... But looking at it from a purely economical, unbiased, non opinionated standpoint, you're wrong. And you can't slice it any other way without bringing in opinion. =)

I think PSP's specs speak for itself, and they don't need things like voice recognition or touch screen (They should have just called Nintendo Palm :rolleyes: ) to compensate for not stacking up to the competition.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ness said:
Yeah. Nintendo has such creativity. Rehashing classic games like Zelda and Mario, horribly raping their premise, and turning out garbage like Windwaker and Mario sunshine, as well as 15 starwars clone games.

Not to mention that they completely ran out of ideas for games for gameboy advance, so they started releasing old, classic Super Nintendo games for it. "Hey! You bought this as a kid, maybe you'll buy it again! Wee! Please don't just download it on an emulator!"

If anything's going to be 'crap,' it's the Nintendo "DS."

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
nah, nintendo came up wtih some GREAT games, like super monkey ball. nintendo has all the good origonal games, while sony either rips off pikachu or makes games of films like the hulk or SP2, or just make a new driving game with space shipsand give it a cool name.
Fortnox... it's like I've already said in this thread once already...
"You may argue that Nintendo has better games... But looking at it from a <i>purely economical, unbiased, non opinionated standpoint</i>, you're <b>wrong.</b>"
About sony ripping off pikachu.... all I can say to you is wow o_O ....

Until these handhelds actually come out, no one can actually say which one is better, it's only opinion.

Based on purely specs vs specs, the PSP wins hands down.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as i said before, PSP is a minature version of PS2, and Nintendo DS is something new. Its not the GameCube Mini or some **** like that, its a whole new concept. PSP isnt, its a PS2 bundled into a handheld that only rich ****ers can afford. It's like with the initial release of the Xbox. It all went through our minds: "WTF? O_O"

*edit*

Also, it dont take a braniac to come up with Playstation Portable..... although it sounds crappy. They couldve used Playstation Pocket 2....but they didnt because Playstation Pocket sold **** all and it would remind people of the downside to Sony.

Best answers
I'd rather have a minature clone of the PS2 than something that's "original" but not that good. The PS2 is a great console, and to be able to play those kind of games on a handheld is awesome. I've never bought a handheld before, the shoddy 2d graphics and generally shoddy games put me off, but the PSP might just change that. I get to walk outside and play the games that I'd play if I was at home rather than settling for cheap games that I'd not even think of playing out of choice. That seems pretty good to me.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think if you trash either handheld your a fanboy/girl, and there's no way to slice or dice it without bringing in opinion.

The DS has more innovation, laugh all you like, but it does have more features than the PSP. Further, the PSP is obviously more powerful, and more companies will be willing to develop for it because Sony only rapes third party manufacturers with development kits. (Sony's dev kits are not user freindly, nor are they cheap, going for alot more than the MS and Nintendo dev kits. Further Nintendo and MS both use well known hardware acceleration features in their chips, where PS programmers have to learn how to write and optimize machine language for a whole new graphics controller.)

If you disagree with my opinion, you are wrong. Facts are facts.

Nintendo has the imagination, Sony has the muscles. That being said, it's up to you which you'll prefer when it comes. More PS2, or something new. Wanting either is smart IMO, and I'm not sure I'll be able to pass either up for long.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are always jackasses like this who oppose superior technology.

The rant against X-Box was "omg! It's just a miniature computer!"

(Well, guess what.. video game systems are made of computer parts, X-box just happens to use better parts), and now the same is being applied here. Wee!

"omg psp SUX! it has 3D graphics and only ONE screen! omg get wif teh FUTUR MAN! the FUTUR of gamez is TOO SCR33NZ AND OLD 'CLASSIC' GAMEZ MAN!"

The DS is the last, desperate, pathetic attempt of Nintendo to avoid going under. If the DS fails, Nintendo fails. They won't recover.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not entirely true, though it will be a significant nail in their coffin. Still, many handhelds have gone up against the gameboy, most far better in terms of hardware and titles, and lost horribly. The Sony hype machine might be able to win, but I'm not optemistic that they will. Further, Nintendo will only have problems selling the DS to adults, which was never it's demographic anyway. Nintendo will most likely survive, even if the PSP crushes it in sales and software.

Bolteh2

B
psp doesnt have the handheld magic imho... nintendo ds still has that typical handheld feel.. its something magical..

+ i think that the psp is gonna be the next n-gage (original)... a failure

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cuc, I'm gonna agree with you that the DS is very innovative, don't get me wrong, I just feel that it's almost crossing the line between innovative and gimmicky. The two screens was cool, but I almost feel like Nintendo then went...

"Hey! Let's see how much OTHER useless crap we can stick in this!" I mean, hey voice recognition, that's cool, but why do I want to yell at my gameboy?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NGage was a garbage machine.. In any case, Gamecube's sales have been less than stellar, and one of the reasons Nintendo has been maintaining it's 'empire' is because of it's domination over the handheld market.

Should they lose that domination, and have mediocre sales for Gamecube, and mediocre or failing sales for the DS, they don't really have many ptions.

*gasp* They might have to return to what actually made the original games good instead of milking the nostalgia value for their characters in order to stay afloat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The rant against X-Box was "omg! It's just a miniature computer!"
thats because it is, it is the only computor consisting of a hardrive and other pc based components, hence i could install and run linux on my knackered X-box after a bit of fiddling, i'd like to see any other console do that :0)

Personally, i'll get neither, my ps2 does the job well enough, i wont need a mini version as tempting as it is plus i dont really have time out where i'll be using one. nor will i get the DS, since the idea is just plain sucky, might as well tape two SP's together and say "omg!1111! my new DS2 can play two games at once!" which wouldnt suprise me. Thats just a silly opinion of my own, my better opinion is that ps2 games tend to hit the 16+ range while nintendo's handhelds are for pokemon chumps and so on ;O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always been a bigger fan of PS2, just becuase the games suit me more, so If I get one, I'll probably get the PSP. I don't think you can use the fact that the PSP is a miniature PS2 as an argument against the PSP... how is that bad? You're telling me that this handheld is just as powerful as the PS2, where the hell do i sign up?? Who cares if it doesn't have two screens, flashing lights, a glow in the dark case, two alarm clocks, a blender, and a lemon scent? I can play a game that is up to par with a PS2 game, and it's hand held, that's all that really matters to me.

Bolteh2

B
sony is japanese you ass -_-

sony beats nintendo when it comes to consoles
nintendo beats sony when it comes to handhelds

its as simple as that.. ps: all the little stuff the DS has is crap.. those things cost more than the DS itself + they break quite fast..

Retired
Best answers
I agree with what cuc said, if you want power get the PSP. if you want innovations, get the DS. I also think the DS can survive even if sony crushes them. I have to admit, sony is doing a very good job at the handheld market so far, seeing as people are actually doubting nintendo with the PSP arriving. I don't think anyone could have done a better job at releasing at introducing a new handheld without handheld experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom