psp 2.. sounded good.. now it doesn't...

Best answers
1st impression.....

And not only that, it looks like it's coming later this year. There have been rumors ever since the DS Lite hit that Sony was also planning a redesign of its portable. Some of those rumors have ground in reality, some of them are just wishful thinking. Nothing official has been announced, and Sony has shot down any chatter regarding a redesign saying it's not happening. With all this, PSP2 looks to be a pipe-dream ? Like it's not happening.

Apparently, it is.

Various third party and highly placed sources state that the PSP2 is coming. Speculation is swirling around the industry, and third party publishers are hoping to tie their games to the PSP2 launch. Thing is, Sony has yet to pass along any information about when that will be. Meaning we won't see big third party titles at launch.

Word has it that a big announcement will most likely hit at E3 with Sony unveiling the redesigned portable. An announcement of launch date (which should be sometime 4th quarter) is entirely possible as well. The redesigned product apparently does exist as this is what we've heard so far:

The screen is gorgeous
The loads are faster
Improved buttons
Internal flash ? 8GB
Possible touch-screen
Possible built-in camera
Uses UMD

..YAY....

2nd impression....

E3 2007: PSP Redesign Unveiled
33% lighter; video output added.
by Daemon Hatfield
July 11, 2007 - During Sony's E3 2007 conference, Sony Computer Entertainment President Kaz Hirai debuted the long-rumored redesign of the PlayStation Portable. At first glance it doesn't look very different, but Hirai insisted gamers would be able to tell the difference as soon as they laid hands on it.

The new PSP will be 33% lighter. It also will have the ability to output high-quality video, to a TV, for instance. Users will be able to connect the PSP to a bigger monitor and share their photos and videos.

The PSP redesign will be available in September in Piano Black and Ice Silver. A PSP Entertainment Pack will include the Ice Silver version, Daxter, the UMD Family Guy collection, a 1GB memory stick, and will put gamers back $199.

Oh, and right after this announcement, Chewbacca walked on stage. Microsoft and Nintendo conferences: pwned. He was there to announce another new PSP pack for Star Wars: Battlefront. It includes the new Battlefront game, Renegade Squadron, and the Ice PSP with Darth Vader printed on the back.

Booo... wtf

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Yep, it looks almost the same.

Engadget said:
It's not quite the PSP 2 some might've hoped for, but Sony is giving its handheld console a serious refresh in the form of a slimmer, lighter and faster "updated" PSP. The new unit still includes the 4.3-inch LCD and UMD, but is 33 percent lighter, 19 percent slimmer, has sped up game load times and improved battery life. The only real "new" features is a video output capability to allow you to play your PSP games on a big screen TV. You can score one in September in the original Piano Black, a new Ice Silver color, and a Star Wars Battlefront special edition. The latter two PSPs come in $199 bundles with related games and a 1GB Memory Stick in the case of Ice Silver. More pics after the break.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/11/sonys-n...s-video-output/
Screenshots: http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-thinn...r-psp-hands-on/

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mehhhhhhh, rofl that thing looks so ds liteish.

Silly sony, what makes you think people will buy that horrible machine twice.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
te machine was/is far from horrible. i don't see the justification in buying it twice, if i want to play games on my tv, i'll use my ps3 or 360. but when i want to play anything on the move, whether it's a movie, music, game, or read an e-book, i'll use my psp.

and to be honest, i think the ds looks and feels cheap, and i've yet to find a game that will keep me interested longer than 5 minutes.

next time you want to comment ANYWHERE warren, please try to be a bit mor informed, and less like an irritated fanboy. or i'll just delete your post, because well... i'm a fanboy of intelligence.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like it =), what has kept me from buying a psp up til this point, is that i could not play it on a television, (dumb reason for a portable system i know)

but games like monster hunter, and the GTA games are much better on a television and well, now that that option is available i may have to go and pick me one up =).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've tried the PSP a few times (my bro has one), and the load times are pretty nosty, so I'm glad it'll be faster now. How much faster, I have no clue. I hope it's actually noticeable. >_>

I haven't bought a PSP because there aren't really any must-have games on it that I'm interested in, but this is good news if I do decide I might want a PSP sometime in the future. :3

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For crying out loud, this not a PSP2, since when was the DS Lite a DS2? It's just a redesign. Anyone thinking that they would add a touchscreen or camera in a redesign is just a complete moron. For a redesign, 33% less weight, longer battery times and faster loading at a lower price than the original PSP was at launch is, IMO, incredible. Anyone still whining about it now should cry in a corner and go a DS fanboy forum.

Anyone still thinking the current PSP sucks because of crappy load times etc. I have one thing to tell you: Homebrew.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
For crying out loud, this not a PSP2, since when was the DS Lite a DS2? It's just a redesign. Anyone thinking that they would add a touchscreen or camera in a redesign is just a complete moron. For a redesign, 33% less weight, longer battery times and faster loading at a lower price than the original PSP was at launch is, IMO, incredible. Anyone still whining about it now should cry in a corner and go a DS fanboy forum.

Anyone still thinking the current PSP sucks because of crappy load times etc. I have one thing to tell you: Homebrew.
Aye, correct you are.
The current PSP weight didnt and still doesnt bother me all that much...

This one will probably be more expensive and unavailable to homebrews for a while...
Still, it could be worth to get in the future... with trading maybe xP

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Onslaught said:
and to be honest, i think the ds looks and feels cheap, and i've yet to find a game that will keep me interested longer than 5 minutes.
Mmm. I felt the same way about the PSP when my bro bought one a couple of years ago. He returned it the same week he bought it because, as we both agreed, for the price, there wasn't anything spectacular about the thing.

Having said that, is there any speculation about this lighter PSP's price? If it goes down, I may be tempted to pick some up, as, despite largely being uninterested in the system's library, there are a few titles I wouldn't mind having on hand for breaks during next semester. My handheld fix is largely filled by my DS, but there are a few things about the PSP that still tempt me; a lower price would probably seal the deal.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Normal PSP currently sells for 170 bucks, new slim PSP will sell for 200 bucks. (+added game if you take the silver or starwars version) And there are plenty games that you should try.

- Daxter (Great platformer)
- Metal Gear Solid Ops (MGS in a different jacket)
- Burnout Legends (Better than dominator and great fun)
- Puzzle Quest (Small puzzle game, with RPG elements, extremely addictive)
And...
- PSone. Although you can only buy them in the Playstation Store, if you use homebrew (which the new PSP will probably not be able to for some while) you can play nearly every Psone game there is (a couple crash or play extremely slow, 99% runs at full speed. And if you compress the disc's you can get some graphical glitches, but not anything serious)

I am currently playing FF7, Breath of Fire 4 and Legend of Mana on my PSP. And then I am not even starting about what emulators the PSP can run, increasing it's gaming library even more. Even though you can also play these games on a PC, it's way more fun having a SNES with you on vacation.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The "homebrew" part was, indeed, the most tempting part in my eyes. None of the games you listed really have any draw for me (I've never tried a Jak and Daxter title before, I haven't really enjoyed an MGS game since the original MGS, I'm not into racers, and Puzzle Quest is out on the DS, not to mention that I have quite a few puzzlers, already).

I think that $200 (that's the price in Canadian Dollars, before taxes, accessories, and a game or two) is a bit much to spend on something that I'd, essentially, use as a portable emulator. Well, perhaps a little more waiting is in order. The PSP is bound to go down in price again some time - the DS sure did after the DS Lite came out.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What kind of games do you like then? Maybe I can recommend a game or two. I have to agree that it might be a bit expensive if you only use it for emulators. And that's only when you get a firmware that is actually exploitable and able to downgrade (anything below firmware 3.51 will do)

You could however also take a look at homebrew for the DS. There are a couple of homebrew games/emulators/what have you for the DS, although they are far less in numbers than for the PSP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, for me, the Megaman X remake and Shin Budoukai look pretty good to me, but I'm not buying a PSP for just two or three games. I also don't think homebrew will be worth my time, since most of the emulated games I have I've played to death so I'm not sure if I'd even use it. I can't really recall many top-ranked PSP games that might appeal to me, mostly because I haven't really paid much attention to the system. To me, it seems like it has too many racers and waaaay too many RPGs, from looking at what's available in gaming stores.

Best answers
homebrew indeed... it is the only way

oh.. and to the second post... i mean 3rd ....thats the regular psp.. but they offered it in whit to those in japan. I also believe they had it here for a limited time as well... here's a pic i found

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSP has some very nifty features, and SHin Budokai and Sonic Rivals would be the mian reasons for me getting it, but I got an original DS and an iPod, so it's not much use to me right now.

What's pissing me off...Is that I am not seeing a great amount of games for the DS, or handhelds in general. Lately they have been watered down versions of console games, or puzzle games (which aren't my fancy..Feel like mini games to me).

Last DS game I bought was New Super Mario Bros, which indefinitely kicked ass, then there was Super Sonic Warriors 2, which was pretty good, and Sonic Rush is fun. While Super Mario 64 DS was amazing to see on a handheld system and fun to paly, it was still kinda like a port.

What decent DS games are out coming out anyway? I rented Naruto Ninja Council 3 and that wasn't really all that fun.

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Personally, for me, the Megaman X remake and Shin Budoukai look pretty good to me, but I'm not buying a PSP for just two or three games. I also don't think homebrew will be worth my time, since most of the emulated games I have I've played to death so I'm not sure if I'd even use it.
SNES
Genesis
Playstation 1
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy colour
NES
Atari

99 percent of all playstation 1 titles can be played flawlessly on PSP

Megaman X 1-5 on my PSP ><

Shin Budokai wasn't that fun, fun for like 10 seconds boredom afterwards.

PSP > DS in all categories, sorry. Oh, and easy online play and browsing, I've posted on ESF from my PSP before.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
What kind of games do you like then? Maybe I can recommend a game or two.
Well, I tend to have a soft spot for platformers, though I end up playing through them a bit rapidly.

RPG's, your standard action/adventure titles, and puzzlers tend to do best for me as far as handhelds are concerned. That's probably why I went with a DS; it has puzzle games that tend to outshine those on other handhelds, as far as I've been able to tell (that, and I got my DS for <$100 because I bought it off of a good friend; it was still brand new, too!). Heh, I've often commented that if something like Legacy of Kain (or LoK, itself) came to the PSP, I would be in possession of one immediately.

Most of my GBA/DS library consists of Metroid and Castlevania titles, as well as any Legend of Zelda title that happens to come out for the portables. I also have several of the Super Mario re-releases from the GBA, as well as New Super Mario Bros. (as I said, I can be a sucker for platformers). I also was pretty big into Tetris DS and I should note that when my bro did have his PSP, I would snatch it away to play Lumines, further underlining my affinity for puzzlers.

However, I must reiterate that I've looked into the PSP's selection, and it just doesn't seem to justify the $200 price tag right now. For me, the DS had, at the time I was considering both systems, the PSP trumped in terms of games that were out/were coming out.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm too lazy to read the posts myself cause they're kinda long >_>, but you can get one of those custom faceplates for the PSP and same for the buttons to make your PSP "2"-ish. I have a PSP myself, and I regret buying it. Hell, I don't use it as a MP3 player and I perfer my DS better. Theres not much of a PSP exclusive games, most of the games I bought was either a remake or a port from the PS2 version.

I can't do homebrew since when I bought it was already updated to 3.40 which kinda sucked since I thought they were updated to 2.00 something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I loved my psp for the first few days, then gradually started regretting spending $250 on it. The controls are very awkward and response time felt kinda slow. After I got about 9 stuck pixels in less than a week, I took it back. It was bulky, heavy and didn't fit in my pocket well, which kind of took away the whole concept of it being portable, especially with the ****ty battery life (which leaves you trapped at home plugged into an ac adapter). The web browser was nice, and so was the mp3 player function, but to use those features to any extent, you need a big ass flash stick, which is $70 or so, you can't really get the full usage out of the psp without spending well over $300 on it, which is ridiculous for a portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom