PS3 Video Card Info

Best answers
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/571/571460p1.html

I just read that a few mins ago and i have to saw, wow. Nvidia with Sony is going to be one heck of a mixture. Though their dream is a little "extended" I'd say it's well worth the try. I thought Xbox 2 was gonna dominate the console wars... well i thought twice.

Best answers
Lets wait till they come out and we will judge then :]

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The title of your thread is very misleading, it does in fact tells us pretty much nothing about the card its self other than sony is working (god forbid) in colaberation with Nvidia to make it, it's nothing to get all up in your boots about.

I thought Xbox 2 was gonna dominate the console wars... well i thought twice.
The card makes no diff, damn it the gcn has some of the best games ever conceived on it and an Ati sticker slapped on the front, and look how well thats doing?

Your thoughts/opinions need a good revising...

imo

Best answers
wheres_warren said:
The card makes no diff, damn it the gcn has some of the best games ever conceived on it and an Ati sticker slapped on the front, and look how well thats doing?

Your thoughts/opinions need a good revising...

imo

I'm sorry but are you trying to say that the Gamecube's graphics are signifigantly inferior or that ATi's products are inferior? Because neither one is right. If you are referring to the fact that the Gamecube has the smallest installed base, the reasons for that have nothing to do with graphics.

I'm sure you know this already, but the XBox uses a GF3 Ti variant as it's GPU, and most people agree that the XBox edges out the PS2 and Gamecube when it comes to graphics(note: edges). Nvidia is already a proven success when it comes to console GPU's, I see no reason why it will be any different for the PS3.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I think he's saying is that

1) There is very little real info about the card.
2) Just because it has more powerful graphics does not mean it is a better console. Games are what counts. And I agree wholeheartedly. Out of PS2, GC and XBOX, the PS2 comes out bottom on hardware, yet top on sales.

Best answers
o_O I actually never knew that some consoles used ATI or Nvidia GUIs

Oh common, I never said PS3 was gonna win *wink-wink-nudge-nudge* I just thought it was amazing news since i'm an Nvidia fan. Yeah, graphics dont mean alot, but it does make a game feel more interactive, right? I still play fallout2 everynow and then and not to mention doom2. I have a PS2 and GC, and still play them. Never got an Xbox cause the only games I wanted were Halo2 and some of the DoA installments.

Overall, I'm just looking forward to PS3 more then the other future consoles now and felt like other people might be interested in the news.

P.S.- As for the topic title, i ment to say GUI instead of video card :fight:

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry but are you trying to say that the Gamecube's graphics are signifigantly inferior or that ATi's products are inferior? Because neither one is right. If you are referring to the fact that the Gamecube has the smallest installed base, the reasons for that have nothing to do with graphics.
Im a nintendo fanboy foolish one... *shakes head in disguts*
I also have an Ati card in my machine, silly child...

*shakes head in disguts*

KyoKusanagi

K
I like my PS2 but i have a Radeon in my compy - im horribly conflicted.

Why god? why must you taunt me like this?

**Finish rant

Lets look back at the Genesis and the SNES. The genesis was a far more powerful and faster machine (be it though that it couldn't handle as many colours as the SNES) but yet the SNES had more memorable games in its library. Same with the Gameboy (original monochrome screen) vs the Game Gear and the Atari Lynx (though i would have killed for a Sega Nomad - the thought of being able to play Shinobi III or Streets Of Rage on public transport is too cool)

KyoKusanagi

K
good lord!... imagine the kind of games we'll be seeing and playing in 5 years time!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate to be the one to say it...but are you sure they're screenshots and not REAL PICS? The top one might be real, but that bottom one just looks like FMV which doesn't count :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually if Video Games evolved to look like real life I wouldn't play it, it'd look too stupid IMO... It'd be like me... controlling, say a real life car... with no one in it... The only thing in it would be a stupid player model that looks like a real person... That'd be kinda pathetic if you ask me :p

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
G-Gear#666 said:
Actually if Video Games evolved to look like real life I wouldn't play it, it'd look too stupid IMO... It'd be like me... controlling, say a real life car... with no one in it... The only thing in it would be a stupid player model that looks like a real person... That'd be kinda pathetic if you ask me :p
That's true, it would be pathetic if I started having to play sports and racing games that look like real life. I want to play with cartoonish hockey players, not the most realistic thing I can get my hands on. [/sarcasm]

It's all going to come down to the games. As we've seen from the PS2 and Xbox, hardware does not make sales, games do.

Best answers
Ravendust said:
I hate to be the one to say it...but are you sure they're screenshots and not REAL PICS? The top one might be real, but that bottom one just looks like FMV which doesn't count :p
The top one definentley isn't real. Look at the shadow cast on the road. And the trees are flat. o:

Bottom one is undoubtedly an FMV.

If you want a possible preview of what we're probably going to be playing in a few years, check out http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml. The Unreal engine, in case any of you didn't know, has been liscenced out to an extremely wide variety of developers, for use in more than just FPSs (in contrast to Quake, which as far as I know barely powers any non-FPS games).

My personal favorite:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, the unreal 3 engine is quite amazing. Recommended specs for the highest image quality (to actually show the enhanced quality) will require a video card with 512MB to 1GB of ram.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah yeah, those crazy graphics cards that don't exist yet. Fortunatley for us, neither does Unreal 3.

That's the first time i've ever heard the argument AGAINST good graphics. I disagree unsurprisingly :p

Once graphics have evolved to the point where we can have an absolutley realistic room with two super-realistic people in it, it can expand from there. Two rooms, three rooms, a house. After that? A super-realistic street, A town, a city, a state, a country, a planet. While sound and video quality may reach it's pinnacle soon, graphics can continue to improve for a few more hundred years before we have virtual alternate universes to play around in and explore. Obviously the PS3 won't get nearly that far, but it's good to know it's taking a step in the right direction :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but whats the point in playing a game that looks feels and acts like reality? why not just go play real football instead?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, you're right...

/me hops into bus with other NFL players.

Best answers
Yeah, BRB, I'm gonna go pick up Ultima Weapon and go cast Bolt 3 out in real life, since hey, we're only playing games because they look bad. No one likes games that look and feel realistic, but give you the ability to do things you could never do in real life, as seen by the abismal sales of Halo 2 and Half-Life 2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like/play sports games, but if you've got GTA8: Planet Earth and reality, it's only legal to shoot people in the face in one :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom