PS3 To Be Unveiled In Tokyo -- 1 Days Time!! Where Will You Be ?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/15/business/15cnd-sony.html

NYTimes said:
Mr. Kutaragi only compounded such fears on Wednesday by announcing that PlayStation 3 will also include a 60 gigabyte hard-disc drive, Linux operating software and the ability to handle broadband Internet connections. These additional features will allow the game console to double as a home server, further driving up production costs.
LINUX LOL

Sooooooooooooo many people are gonna buy PS3 if it natively runs Linux, because you could make it a web server, database server, <insert any game> server, mail server, DNS server, DHCP server, firewall, ANYTHING O_O, oh man

I picture say, my friend being stuck on a level in a certain game, and I can send him a savegame from my PS3's hard drive, or being able to stream movies/music off of my other computers and play them on my TV/entertainment center.

Very cool stuff indeed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just disappointed that the new consoles won't have bad guys that know what they're doing... A.I. is very important in this day and age, and it sucks that they chose "Prettiness" over intelligence.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Amnestometh said:
I'm just disappointed that the new consoles won't have bad guys that know what they're doing... A.I. is very important in this day and age, and it sucks that they chose "Prettiness" over intelligence.
How is that relevant to this thread at all? The quality of the A.I. in games is determined by the developers (programmers), not the manufacturer of the console .............

Best answers
The PS3 will launch worldwide in early November 2006 in Japan, North America and Europe simultaneously. Incorporating the final specifications of the Blu-ray format will enable "playback of BD software at a high bit rate," with "a maximum storage capacity of 50 GB (dual layer) and robust security." The PS3 will be compatible with all kinds of TVs and a high-speed broadband connection. Update 19 (via 1UP's updated page): DRM was what delayed the launch, but the system will come with a 60GB HDD preinstalled before 11/11/06

In addition, Sony will release "one million units per month [after launch; sorry for any confusion this may have caused] with a total of six million units in 2006 alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years." Update 18: The 6M unit total will "be produced in Fiscal Year 2006 (through March 2007)."
A Worldwide Launch !??.. Im begining to get that excited, but cautious feeling. Well, i guess anyone even remotely interested in getting a PS3 on launch day would be well advised to get in and preorder one -- pronto. The 360 showed that just walking into a store and finding a system on launch day is no guarantee of anything. Get yourself on a list right away, because no matter how well Sony tries to re-stock this thing, the shortage will probably be completely unavoidable.

Some of the announcements that Sony made as seen above in the link, were extremely aggressive. The PSP price drop to $199 a month before the DS Lite hits is a sort of a smart move, as the Lite is expected to be $150. But how could they take out stuff from the package and call it a "Price Cut." If they got the value pack and lowered it down to $199, that is reasonable and I would buy the console when it does that eventually. But, their taking away two of the most important parts-- the carrying case, which keeps your screen from getting scatched up, and the memory card, which is used for saving games. Does Sony really think that little of us? I guess the only reason why it is $199 is because they took $50 worth of stuff out there, and ironically it so happens to be pretty important stuff. The PS1 official emulator sounds cool though, but only if they have third-party games for it.

But really, the big bomb here is the November release. If there was one thing im sure that Nintendo didn't want to hear, it had to be that they'd be launching at the same time as the PS3. Expect Nintendo to either move up or delay the release of the Revolution to avoid it, because going head to head with it is really not a good idea for them. I want a Revolution badly, but if I have to make up my mind on a PS3 a week or two earlier, then it might have to wait for a while. I just prefer too get the most expensive one, out the way as soon as possible.

I really want to know the official price will be though, but I expect it'll come at E3. I just hope Sony doesn't get stupid and try to price the thing into the stratosphere. On top of that, I really hope they can deliver more units than Microsoft did, otherwise they'll be in big trouble. The 360 will have second generation software running on it at that point, and if the recent releases for the system are any barometer, the 360 has some great games coming. And I'm absolutely positive they will release a ton of good games that are good reasons to buy a 360 sometime around, November. If the PS3 is a headache to find and the 360 has awesome games on it, then people may just buy the 360 instead.

So i guess they have Cell Processor, Standard HDD, Blu-Ray drive ?...I'd sure love to see how Sony will keep this under $500 and manage to minimize losses. I guess that's the $1,000,000 question though. Personally, I don't think there's a good scenario coming from a price standpoint.

Im sure most of us already knew the machine was going to be costly to make, so i really do hope the HDD is built-in.

I guess overall, the price is going to be high or Sony is going to hemorrhage money in order to keep it affordable. Neither scenario is particularly enticing, although if I had to pick, I'd let (expect, even) Sony buck up and eat the cost before I do.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
How is that relevant to this thread at all? The quality of the A.I. in games is determined by the developers (programmers), not the manufacturer of the console .............
Actually it was recently revealed that both the 360 and the PS3 will not have non-sequential process support, so they can only execute "in order" commands. Good luck programming good AI on that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phew, they kept the Blu-Ray in...Even though that may be playing a part in the price, I am interested to see the depth of games with this Blu-Ray, if it is really worth it or just extremely overrated. I do still have some expectation, realistic or not, of the PS3.

1) I want a black one >=(

2)The console itself is supposed to surpass the 360, so that's what I am expect the games to be.

3)Hopefully a lot of launch titles

3) The majortity of the titles better not be FPS/Remakes -_-

4)Please no malfunctions...I think Sony has had plenty of time to fix all of that.

5) Not over $500. Don't care what it has, I won't be playing this on some 50" HDTV just for the iamges to burn on to the screen, storing media, or coding it, I will most likely use it to play video games. Anything that can round up to $1000 is not suited for a console, because then you gotta buy games, and one is just not enough, then the pratically necessary accessories, which surpasses $1000 right there if the console was $500.

Though, I do agree with Pride on the protection on Piracy. Though, I am not sure how this protection works.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Actually it was recently revealed that both the 360 and the PS3 will not have non-sequential process support, so they can only execute "in order" commands. Good luck programming good AI on that.
Uh what?

main game loop
-receive input from devices
-calculate ai/game logic
-render scene
-repeat

Games have been doing this since way before Wolf3d? lol

(And there was complex AI when? -Cucumba)

Not a step backwards at any rate, if you need to do multiple things at once, use a threading library

Precisely the point, AI should be doing better, not staying still for more eye candy. After all, I wouldn't call any current AI out there good . . .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
1) I want a black one >=(
I've seen a picture of a black PS3, a white PS3 and a silver PS3, so at least thats one less concern regarding the console =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually the AI on Fear was pretty nice...of course...that was on a PC.

I still don't know what all this "you'll have to buy a new tv" stuff is. You said yourself that stuff will still play, just that it won't be super HD quality and will be scaled back down. That's what DRM is doing for the computers, so I imagine it will do the same for the consoles. Besides...a lot of people don't even have HDTVs yet. At least not the 18-24s, which are usually the game industry's target demographic.

I agree with you about the eye candy, Cuc, but at the same time I think AI as intelligent as the player would ruin some types of games (shooters, for example). Imagine if every enemy could whip out five to ten weapons. Yikes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Better AI would eventually lead to a type of game similar to multiplayer (human vs human combat), which, coincidentally, is wildly popular nowadays!

So awesome AI doesn't have to be a bad thing. So what if your computer enemies can use multiple weapons or use squad tactics to surround you? That's where a player's creativity comes into play. Besides, a game developer wouldn't let a game get too hard to play, otherwise it wouldn't be fun.

Best answers
Actually, I heard this somewhere. Would anyone mind clearing this up a bit?

Despite earlier facts that supported the contrary, it seems that the Xbox 360's GPU will be more powerful than the PS3's, which is simply a G71 running at lower clock speeds.
In case you didn't know a regular G71 has 24 Pixel Pipelines and runs at 650/1800 Mhz Core/Memory Speeds, while the PS3's GPU will have those same specs but will run at 500/1000(?) Mhz speeds.
The GPU in the Xbox 360 is far more advanced than any single GPU we have seen from ATI or Nvidia to date. It boasts 48 "pipelines" but since it has a unified shader (Pixel and vertex pipelines are not defined), we don't know exactly how powerful each pipelines should be.
Since we know that R580 will probably beat the G71, it's likely that the ATI powered Xbox (running on a chip that might be similar to R590 or R600), will beat the G71-based PS3 in graphics.

Despite all this PCs should still come out on top. While the new consoles still only have 512 mb of memory total (The Xbox 360 had 512 mb shared RAM, while the PS3 has 256 mb GDDR3 for graphics and 256 mb XTR RAM for the system), games on the PC make use of 1-2 Gb of RAM. This will probably limit the development of games, especially in a couple of years time, when 512mb will be a bottlneck just like the last-gen Xbox's 64 mb is today. Besides, none of these console will compete with a high-end Crossfire or SLI System. ATI and Nvidia's high end dual GPU technologies are too expensive to mass produce, but the results they throw in will make the PC continue its dominance in years to come.
I dunno, I'm probably going to be playin' my 360 when this is all going on.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I still don't know what all this "you'll have to buy a new tv" stuff is. You said yourself that stuff will still play, just that it won't be super HD quality and will be scaled back down. That's what DRM is doing for the computers, so I imagine it will do the same for the consoles.
Actually, Hollywood is demanding a secure channel narrowcast only, which means you will get a big fat reminder of how bad an idea forced DRM is in the form of a warning screen. So, while you are expecting to play a game, watch a movie, or do what your PS3 is supposed to do, you may very well see a reminder that Sony requires you to buy a $10,000 HDCP ready television.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Actually, Hollywood is demanding a secure channel narrowcast only, which means you will get a big fat reminder of how bad an idea forced DRM is in the form of a warning screen. So, while you are expecting to play a game, watch a movie, or do what your PS3 is supposed to do, you may very well see a reminder that Sony requires you to buy a $10,000 HDCP ready television.
Which is why I will rip my media to my linux PC, mount my linux drive from my PC onto my PS3 using NFS, and play it using a command-line player (like mplayer or something) :p

Hollywood can suck my chode

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they do something like that, it will be a bit annoying...but again...nobody's forcing me to go buy a new tv. Plus on my analog TV I doubt it'll do anything but say "Wow dude your TV sucks!" heh.

I wonder if I could hook it up through my video card's TV in...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't that being a bit hypocritical, Pride? You keep saying you're all for DRM and other such copyright protection systems, but now you're wondering whether or not you can hook it up to your computer to bypass all that. :/

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's great news. Doesn't it mean anyone with an 1080p capable HDTV or monitor will be able to view Bluray content?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
That's great news. Doesn't it mean anyone with an 1080p capable HDTV or monitor will be able to view Bluray content?
Unfortunately, no.

"We have no plan to implement the Image Constraint Token. All of Sony's titles will come out of the analog output at full definition"
but who's to say, after Blu-ray becomes popular, "preventing piracy" (aka "screwing honest customers", lol) may become a priority. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom