PS3 Revealed (High Res Images)

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

-Edit--Added controller image-

LOS ANGELES--Today saw the second of the big three console makers announce its next-generation platform. At its pre-E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment gave the world its first look at the PlayStation 3, as it now is officially called. While the device's price has not yet been set, its release window--spring 2006--has.

The name was not unexpected, since Sony had been running an extensive teaser-ad campaign prepping the public for the PlayStation 3. The company had laid a blanket of posters around the Los Angeles Convention Center, site of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3). Bus stalls and billboards around the convention center proclaimed "Prepare for Chang3" in the distinctive PlayStation font with partial shots of the Dual Shock controller's square-circle-triangle-X buttons.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3 will use Blu-ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. Sony also confirmed the machine would be backward compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, an SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD, somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals: four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2GHz, giving the whole system 2.18 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, and it will have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, Internet access, digital photo viewing, and digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "supercomputer for computer entertainment."

To show off the PlayStation 3's graphical brawn, Sony showed several game demos, including an Unreal 3 tech demo of what appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007. In what must come as a relief to developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3, saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its first PS3 hardware two months ago. He proved the tech demo was real time by showing it again and by manipulating the camera and zooming in.

However, Sweeney's words were only the beginning. Later, Sony trotted out a whole host of publishers that are backing the PlayStation 3. And in the process, it confirmed several games for the console. Hideo Kojima introduced Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4, Capcom showed off Devil May Cry 4, Namco unveiled Tekken 6, Polyphony Digital trotted out Gran Turismo 5, SCEE showed off a brutal section of the next Killzone, and Rockstar Games mentioned that a Grand Theft Auto would be released for the console.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
AND Fatal_CobraX -.-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats a sweet looking machine, i'm getting the white one :)

Best answers
-_- It's official, i have to get a PS3. I like the way the console looks too, and it will features up to 7 players straight out of the box plus the other things they mentioned, espically a MGS & DMC sequel, i cant wait.

But the controller....Just looks ugly...It can be found here Just scroll down abit.

http://www.gamefront.de/

Best answers
Holy ****. I'm finding the controller scheme hard to believe. PS is known to have the best all around controller. What the **** is this?!

Is that a god damn boomerang?! Why in god's name would you **** with something that is clearly perfect?! I myself don't believe it. The console maybe, not the controller.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the original xbox controller looked a bit huge at first, but it wound up working just fine (i know im not the only one who prefers the old one to the small one)

what im getting at is, dont call it crap until you hold it in your hands, if it still doesnt float your boat im sure a decent 3rd party controller or converter will be made to accomodate ya,

just hope logitech makes a wireless one pretty quick for it, thier current controller for ps2 is pure genius

Best answers
But Microsoft didn't have a previous console with a near perfect controller. I can't possibly imagine why Sony would mess with something that is damn near perfect.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't knock the controller till you've tried it. Remember how bizzare the N64 controllers were? Or Dreamcast's? Fundamentally, it's the same as the PS2 controller. It just has a longer side, which isn't where your hands go anyway. :p

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
But Microsoft didn't have a previous console with a near perfect controller. I can't possibly imagine why Sony would mess with something that is damn near perfect.
It was perfect till i grew up, now the things too damn small.

Im loving the style, and the features on this, i'm definately going to own one...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
probably going to get this, its about time they showed some pics! silver one for teh win!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
show the controller pics direct url, link isnt workin for me.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Holy ****. That is insane. Did anyone else see the killzone trailer? I cant wait to get my hands on that \o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pretty sexy, but i hate the spiderman font on the top, ugly font.... And i cant see any controller pics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Controller's still symmetrical, so it will still play beautifully. Buttons will just feel right, trust me.

That aside this is easily the sexiest machine ever built.

I guess now us playstation fans actually have a point to make back at people when they crack on Sony.

7 players+online+massive power, all out of box, = the win.

Note: No flames or console wars in this thread, please. Make me proud, all. :0)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
errr...

if it wasnt so long it would be less ***. but a madcat reskin will tighten it up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh, now i see, yea that is ugly....

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahahah, C'mon it can't be that bad... can it.. erm.. pretend to hold a boomerang.. erm, that's not so bad.. except.. I can't really.. imagin myself pressing the L and R buttons >.<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, i will imagine im holding a boomerang and through it out the window -_-...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom