PS3 Flop?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If those numbers listed on the devstation are true, then the PS3 is horribly gimped by the Cell processor.

Even so, the PS2 was the weakest of the three consoles hardware wise in this gen. However, they do not have an early start this time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Inquirer might not be the best source, after hearing what you guys've said about it, but I don't know, it seems to me like that kind of info isn't something you just pull out of your ass. Unless you really hate Sony or the PS3, but like I said, I doubt people that biased would work for the Inquirer. Even they should have some standards.

Best answers
Wesley Gibson said:
Based on what?
-- Well, i believe DVD's were already established and unlike Blue-Ray, alot of the general public actually knew what it was-- whereas, Blu-Ray has yet to be established. Also, it has a competitor-- HD-DVD, and i don't think that's going to make things any better. They didn't have any competition with Blu-Ray, so not alot of people knew nor did they care. All they knew, was that DVD's were superior to it's VHS counterpart, and DVD players were very expensive at time-- which in return, helped push the PS2 sales enough, to cause alot denial about the subject. But it wont happen this time around, in my opinion.

Also, the HD market isn't nowhere big enough this year to really push it. I just can't see the masses taking any interest in it, like they did with DVD's to be honest. And i really wouldn't blame them either. The only people who will actually buy into the Blue-Ray ordeal, are mainly the hardcore tech geeks-- and that won't push it nowhere near as hard, as the PS2 was pushed. But if it comes down to it, and the public is hard pressed to pick a format out of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, they'll pick HD-DVD-- just because it sounds more familiar. I dont think even 30% of the people buying the PS3 will be getting one for Blue-Ray, but who knows, maybe im underestimating future-proof technology here, so i could be wrong.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HD-DVD is a more familiar name (you have a HDTV, you want HD content, you're naturally going to go with HD-DVD if you're uninformed), and it definately sounds more trustworthy than 'Blu-ray' which frankly sounds gimmicky-new-agey (Betamax anyone?) even if it is superior. The movie studios however seem to have put their faith in it, various websites call it an even struggle, and the public...well, we'll see. I'm going to sit on the fence for this one, even though i'm pro-Sony.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Wesley Gibson said:
Find one.
Oh, you cant.
God you're worse than a 6 year old whose parents say he has ADD to cover up the fact he's just an ass pain.
Seriously, shut up or something, you're annoying with your retorts to everything, chill out and like, go away, just incites people to retaliate more, like I did.

oh **** you got me :(

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think HD-DVD does sound better, but quite frankly, Sony has the studio support--Toshiba does not. Nobody is going to jump on the HD-DVD wagon if all the movies come out for Blu-Ray, are they?

The majority of studios (something like 80%+) support Blu-Ray. There are a few studios supporting both, and I think a single one supporting only HD-DVD. This factor alone, combined with the cheap PS3 Blu-Ray player will mean the dominance of Blu-Ray. I think so, anyway.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I think HD-DVD does sound better, but quite frankly, Sony has the studio support--Toshiba does not. Nobody is going to jump on the HD-DVD wagon if all the movies come out for Blu-Ray, are they?

The majority of studios (something like 80%+) support Blu-Ray. There are a few studios supporting both, and I think a single one supporting only HD-DVD. This factor alone, combined with the cheap PS3 Blu-Ray player will mean the dominance of Blu-Ray. I think so, anyway.
The Only studios that ive heard supporting Blu-Ray-- were the studio Sony owns (Columbia/Tri Star pictures, Screen Gems, and 40% of MGM). Disney have somewhat said their supporting Blu-Ray, but it still seems they are thinking about it, and you know Disney owns quite alot of movie studios. The rest of Movie studios have yet to actually pick sides but some such as Universal, Warner Bros and Paramont have released HD-DVD movies.

And even though mostly every Electronic hardware is behind Sony, HD-DVD has its large amount of support as well-- its being supported by Dell, HP, Microsoft, and many other Electronics.

Either way, this is all confusing for me. I wish i had no intentions on investing in either one until this format war reaches a conclusion-- I don't want to end up with something that's the equivalent of a laser disc. Each format has it advantages and disadvantages. HD-DVD is relatively inexpensive and came out before Blu-Ray hit the market but the studio support is lacking. Blu-Ray has massive studio support from what I understand and it won't hurt the format that it is going to be included on the PS3 but it is coming out later than HD-DVD (and still continues to be pushed back) and is somewhat expensive.

Im begining to think that casual movie watchers will be deterred from buying a Blu-Ray player due to it's cost, so i think HD-DVD will win that market. Gamers will likely opt for Blu-Ray due to its inclusion in the PS3, so Blu-Ray wins that market. Movie buffs will likely buy Blu-Ray because of the studio support that it has (although that's somewhat shaky, the studios could release both formats simply because it means more money for them), so I think Blu-Ray will pull away there....meh i dont know, my view on who will come out on top are kinda going back and forth right now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The computer manufacturers are backing HD-DVD and the movie studios are supporting Blu-ray...talk about a wrench in the works. I guess thats one way of getting both though.

Hamppu said:
I'd call for chuck norris
You do that. Warning for spammpu :warning:

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Hmmm.....does he mean a new format called Chuck-Norris that uses RoundHouse kick technology to read and write discs or does he want Chuck Norris to pick a format? :p

I find the article funny because I don't like Sony. :p Personally though I don't care which disc format gains dominance.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
The Only studios that ive heard supporting Blu-Ray-- were the studio Sony owns (Columbia/Tri Star pictures, Screen Gems, and 40% of MGM). Disney have somewhat said their supporting Blu-Ray, but it still seems they are thinking about it, and you know Disney owns quite alot of movie studios. The rest of Movie studios have yet to actually pick sides but some such as Universal, Warner Bros and Paramont have released HD-DVD movies.

And even though mostly every Electronic hardware is behind Sony, HD-DVD has its large amount of support as well-- its being supported by Dell, HP, Microsoft, and many other Electronics.

Either way, this is all confusing for me. I wish i had no intentions on investing in either one until this format war reaches a conclusion-- I don't want to end up with something that's the equivalent of a laser disc. Each format has it advantages and disadvantages. HD-DVD is relatively inexpensive and came out before Blu-Ray hit the market but the studio support is lacking. Blu-Ray has massive studio support from what I understand and it won't hurt the format that it is going to be included on the PS3 but it is coming out later than HD-DVD (and still continues to be pushed back) and is somewhat expensive.

Im begining to think that casual movie watchers will be deterred from buying a Blu-Ray player due to it's cost, so i think HD-DVD will win that market. Gamers will likely opt for Blu-Ray due to its inclusion in the PS3, so Blu-Ray wins that market. Movie buffs will likely buy Blu-Ray because of the studio support that it has (although that's somewhat shaky, the studios could release both formats simply because it means more money for them), so I think Blu-Ray will pull away there....meh i dont know, my view on who will come out on top are kinda going back and forth right now.
You keep disregarding the studio support. It's more slanted than you might think.

http://news.com.com/HD+DVD+debut+ups+ante+in+high-stakes+game/2100-1041_3-6062089.html?tag=st.num (April 19, 2006).

"Seven studios currently back Blu-ray, while three support HD DVD, and two of those also support Blu-ray. Only Universal Studios supports HD DVD exclusively."

Bluray has the support, the discs don't scratch easily, they hold more, and the PS3 will be a good foot in the door. Game over, really.. I think so, anyway. Time will tell.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Out of curiosity, how are the Blu-Ray discs so hard to scratch?

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Ah I see. Cool.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh please, what a crock of $***. The enquirer? As in the National Enquirer? If so, then its tabloid bilge.

Besides, I highly doubt Sony would actually write "No, this is not a typo", its most definitely fake, I could make that little piece of spreadsheet in my sleep. Its a not-very elaborate or discreet plug for Microsoft and XBox. Not that I don't like Microsoft, Windows rocks, I'm just wilder about PS3 than 360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom