PS3 Doesn't Have ??!?!?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
many were surprised to hear that the PlayStation 3 controller would not support a rumble feature, as it has become an expected part of the modern gaming experience. Both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii support the technology, meaning Sony's console will be the only next-gen system without a rumble-enabled controller.

Sony's explanation for the feature's absence is that the vibration interferes with new motion-sensing technology being implemented into the controller. But this claim conflicts with news from developer Immersion, who has just finished work on a new vibration effect that can function alongside motion-sensing features.

Kutaragi and Harrison can now add rumble to the PS3 controller.

Says Immersion: "The new TouchSense technology is compatible with motion control and tilt-sensing to allow players to control certain game actions by moving or tilting a handheld controller. Because the speed at which a user moves the controller is much slower than the frequencies generated by TouchSense technology, the two signals can be differentiated using filtering and other techniques. Immersion also offers engineering services to implement the technology within a particular console system."

Don't expect Sony to give Immersion a call anytime soon, however, as the two companies have been entangled in a lawsuit in which Sony was found guilty of patent infringement over the use of rumble in its DualShock controller and was ordered to pay Immersion $90.7 million.

That this litigation is the true cause of Sony's decision to withhold a rumble feature from its new controller has been a popular theory among industry insiders, but it's a claim that has never been substantiated. As of this writing the company could not be reached for comment. What we do know is the PS3 controller could, apparently, include vibration if Sony wanted it to.

??????????

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do other people have to explain that to you?
In short: No Rumble.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I knew Sony was full of it when I saw that Wii will have rumble features in it's nun chuck.

Best answers
Nm wrong post.

Was the wrong link in the wrong thread -_-.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Yeah, PS3 is looking pretty ungnarly right now (post-E3)

I never pictured myself saying this again, but... Nintendo ftw o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I probably won't buy a PS3 anyway, but having rumble really doesn't make a damn difference for me. I mean, it was really cool feeling it on the PS1 dual shock, like when Metal Gear Rex exploded... that was intense. Or Psycho Mantis making your controller move across the floor, that was clever as hell. But years after that, playing my PS2, or playing the GC, I've forgotten rumble even exists. Even when it happens I just don't really notice anymore, I filter it out. I don't get into a scene more just because my hands feel like they're holding a sex toy :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes indeed, the wii's controller will make first person shooters amazing ^_^.

Anyway, I don't think the rumble feature is such a big deal, I actually never notice it while I am playing anyway, the only good use I saw for it was in metal gear solid when you are told to lay your controller down and psycho mantis "moves it with his mind". Which was cheap yea, but when you are like 10 years old and a video game says its going to move your controller and it actually does move, it's the greatest thing ever, still gives me a giggle when playing through twin snakes on the Gamecube.

@Hitokiri: MGS seems to be the only memorable use of rumble for anyone :p.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
Yeah, PS3 is looking pretty ungnarly right now (post-E3)

I never pictured myself saying this again, but... Nintendo ftw o/
WOW, now I'm impressed with the Wii . . .

Best answers
Wow, it looks like every day Sony just digs deeper into it's own grave. I've been pulling for Nintendo this entire time, but now I fear for Sony as a gaming company. It seems like Sony is relying on the sheer stupidity of gamers now...
"Let's fill our ps3 with goony cell and blu-ray crap that isn't hardly any better than a 360 when they're both fully maximized, and sell it for 600 clams! And they can play sweet movies that you need to buy in a special format that is usually more expensive than a DVD! People will buy it, because, well, we're Sony!"

Best answers
No rumble?

Oh god, now what will I ever do now?

Its a feature that doesnt add anything to the game, or take anything away from it.

In action in the game makes my hands rumble, tell me...getting shot in the back or a blast next to my character...is that really going to make my hands vibrate?

Does it put some people in the game? Sure, I dont know why..but sure whatever floats the boat your on.

All of you sound like every other platform is going to beat playstation 3 now because of it having no rumble, the heck are you all on?

You know they are just going to release a controler after the release of ps3 with rumble in it...you rumble fan boys

Best answers
It seems like Sony is relying on the sheer stupidity of gamers now...
" giggles " That could be seen even with the PSP-- Sony does thinks that it's fans are a bunch of morons, i'll admit that much. Their the only company ive seen so far that actually had the audacity-- to take out stuff from a package and call it a "Price Cut." Sony really does think little of its consumers, and its begining to show much more now.

Anyway's as for the lack of rumble-- does it bother me ? nope-- not at all. The appeal in the PS3 wasn't the rumble feature anyway for myself. Infact, i find it hard to care about any of the lies and/or stupid decisions they've made with that damn price tag is still ***** slapping me in the face.

Best answers
i've been unimpressed with ps3 for a long time, but i honestly could care less about the ruble feature, i can't even remember that the cube and xbox rumble unless i think about it.

Its a feature that doesnt add anything to the game, or take anything away from it.
thats not fair, what about all those fishing games, it totally adds somethign to them.

Best answers
I personally would buy a fishing rod controller for a "fishing" game

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do rather like the rumble feature. I think maybe sometimes people do underestimate its influence in a game. I personally believe that it does add to a game - when I'm blasting my chainguns at someone, I want to have at least some feedback as to my weapon's power. Images and sound don't always really convey it well enough, so it just feels really nice if you can 'feel' your guns rattling.

I've always found it to be a very welcome addition to most games, and it will be missed in the PS3, assuming they don't eventually add it at a later time.

Best answers
rumble was a big part of the immersion for most games, atleast for me anyway, but this doesnt surprise me one bit, seeing as it sony and all. :S

Best answers
for me for somethign to really b eimportant i have to remember it after playing. for example i consider a games musical score to not be very good if i can't remember any of the music after playing it. Same thing with the rumble feature, in 90% of games if someone asked me what made the controller rumble i would have no idea.

Best answers
Big Kyle said:
I shall try to prove you wromg: American Football Games, fighting games (Fight Night Round), and Sex simulation games!!! :laff:
Yes wromg!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont care about a rumble, just add some nice sound effects and some dynamic lighting. thats good enough.

i dont remember my 360 ever vibrating.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So far, this is the stupidest bunch of pro-Nintard propaganda crap I've ever read.

Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom