PS3 delayed in Europe

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/06/european-launch-of-playstation-3-delayed-until-march-2007/

And

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/06/north-american-japanese-ps3-launch-limited-to-500-000-units/

This is crazy. Europe isn't getting it until 2007, Japan gets only 100,000 (I'm surprised they'd do that to Japan, 100,000 is nothing) and America surprisingly gets the best deal at 400,000 units. Sony is really screwing themselves over. Thoughts, comments?

Disclaimer: Please don't start a console war, I don't want the thread closed.

Best answers
That actually is pretty DAMN amazing and shorthanded of Sony. I suppose with people starting to give Sony a horrid name because of their decision as of late, there would be less going out. However, I didn't AT ALL think THAT much would be released. Plus with the roll back on the Europe release it kinda shows who's gonna win and who's gonna lose now. 360 wins and the Wii loses by a slim number >.> :O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care. Really, if it's going to be released in March 2007, it'll probably take a while longer to make ANY games at all for it. Sony is completely retarded for doing this. No one is crazy enough to buy a console that has no games for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, there goes my purchase now, not only is it too long away, but you'll get PS3 farmers buying every one available and e-baying for twice the price, >_>

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Not surprised, pretty much everything on the market nowadays with a hyped released gets delayed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care about the PS3 being delayed, Im not buying a system with 50 million first person shooters that are expected to be killer games.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Robby said:
That actually is pretty DAMN amazing and shorthanded of Sony. I suppose with people starting to give Sony a horrid name because of their decision as of late, there would be less going out. However, I didn't AT ALL think THAT much would be released. Plus with the roll back on the Europe release it kinda shows who's gonna win and who's gonna lose now. 360 wins and the Wii loses by a slim number >.> :O
Based on what? The XB360 has been out for almost a year now, and they still have almost zero games worth playing... the early adopters of the console have been rewarded with the same old sports clones, racing games and mindless garbage the original Xbox had. If anything's going to happen where Sony doesn't turn out to be the top-dog, it'll be the Wii dominating (as much as it can with it's hardware and rather possibly gimmicky setup--time will tell), but in any situation, it's hard to see Microsoft coming out on top in the long run.

dan_esf_fanatic said:
I don't care. Really, if it's going to be released in March 2007, it'll probably take a while longer to make ANY games at all for it. Sony is completely retarded for doing this. No one is crazy enough to buy a console that has no games for it.
Really? Didn't stop people from buying the XB360, overpriced as it was, with no games, and made from mostly currently-existing technology.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Really? Didn't stop people from buying the XB360, overpriced as it was, with no games, and made from mostly currently-existing technology.
They have yet to make anything from technology that does not currently exist... :rolleyes:

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL, he got you there Alea.

I'm not at all suprised that they are delaying in Europe and short manufactured in other areas. This is old hat for consoles, and no one should be suprised.

I see PS3 as a strong contender, even though I feel that it's a bloated piece of hypeware. It has some critical flaws in it's architecture, but it seems that it will go on name alone for some time even if it is flawed. The Wii is another piece of hypware, and until it's proven to be what it promises, no one can garauntee it's the winner. Weak hardware has won the race before though, as the PS2 was the weakest console of the three systems last time. 24MB of texture mem? Yikes.

That being said, the 360 has good hardware, avoided the HD content debacle which was nothing more than a forced upgrade scheme desined to impair fair use, and has the head start. Problem is, it has crap games, and when was the last time that the first out of the gate won the war? It never happened.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
They have yet to make anything from technology that does not currently exist... :rolleyes:
Apparently you misunderstood what I meant. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes: The XB360 wasn't made with any cutting-edge technology--it was made almost entirely (if not entirely) of technology that had already been featured in computer hardware and consoles before it, whereas the PS3 is not, hence the struggle.

Cucumba said:
That being said, the 360 has good hardware, avoided the HD content debacle which was nothing more than a forced upgrade scheme desined to impair fair use, and has the head start. Problem is, it has crap games, and when was the last time that the first out of the gate won the war? It never happened.
Agreed, for the most part.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Apparently you misunderstood what I meant. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes: The XB360 wasn't made with any cutting-edge technology--it was made almost entirely (if not entirely) of technology that had already been featured in computer hardware and consoles before it, whereas the PS3 is not, hence the struggle.
Even so, this isn't about comparing the Xbox 360 to the Playstation 3 and vice versa.

I personally don't mind them delaying the release, even if the delay managed to reach the United States, I still wouldn't mind. I'm just not in a rush to get one, and I probably won't get one until much later after it's released, just like I did with the Playstation 2.

If anything, I think Sony rushed into things. Not to mention they just went nuts with announcing all of these features (Blue-Ray, Backwards Compatibility, etcetera). I wouldn't be suprise if they had to go back to square one and start over.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Even so, this isn't about comparing the Xbox 360 to the Playstation 3 and vice versa.

I personally don't mind them delaying the release, even if the delay managed to reach the United States, I still wouldn't mind. I'm just not in a rush to get one, and I probably won't get one until much later after it's released, just like I did with the Playstation 2.

If anything, I think Sony rushed into things. Not to mention they just went nuts with announcing all of these features (Blue-Ray, Backwards Compatibility, etcetera). I wouldn't be suprise if they had to go back to square one and start over.
I didn't say that's what this was "about." Thanks. However, invariably when mentioning one console, others are mentioned and comparisons are invariably drawn.

Sony has the most ambitious next-gen console, and as such, the most difficulties associated with the 'growing pains' of such a transition.

If you wouldn't be "surprise" by that, then you (apparently) don't know much about the electronics industry--Sony has invested an enormous amount of money in the development of the PS3. Starting from scratch would set them back years and put all that money to waste.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I didn't say that's what this was "about." Thanks. However, invariably when mentioning one console, others are mentioned and comparisons are invariably drawn.

Sony has the most ambitious next-gen console, and as such, the most difficulties associated with the 'growing pains' of such a transition.

If you wouldn't be "surprise" by that, then you (apparently) don't know much about the electronics industry--Sony has invested an enormous amount of money in the development of the PS3. Starting from scratch would set them back years and put all that money to waste.
You're right, I know little-to-nothing about business and/or the electronics industry. With that said, I'm just stating my opinion, nothing more and nothing less, so I apologize for it sounding uneducated and/or illogical. I just wouldn't be that suprised if they had to resort going back to square one, but that's just me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed as always.

Bottom lines here people:
1.) I still want it, I'll still buy it, just later. If anything it is going to make people want it more; sometimes things like this get delayed or limited release for precisely that reason.
2.) It only means more time for more launch titles.
3.) Almost every thing said about Sony on this forum is turned negative and blown up to tabloid-like proportions. I'm going to go out on a limb here and figure this is really no different.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seems like those Blu-Ray drives are giving SONY more trouble than they're worth.

They're part of the cause for the delay, are they not?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and those news are just good for xbox 360 and wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom