ps2 vs pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A friend of mine can't decide if he wants to a ps2 or a pc

He is going for a pc cuz most of his friends will have a b etter one than his curent one soon. But I'm telling him to keep the curent pc witch is not one of the best but still it's good and get a ps2 cuz he only uses the pc for the internet,music and games(no mmorpg's).So that way he'll still be able to listen to music,browse through the internet and with the ps2 play cool games.

Am I righ?or should he just buy a better pc and not buy a ps2.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you mean ps3 because a ps2 is like $100 canadian now and there is no way he could get a nice computer for $100.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe a nice calculator, but not a pc.

The answer to your question is.... The PC.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Go the PC if he gets a powerful enough PC, he can emulate a PS2 legally if he buys the games. Besides the PC has THE LARGEST collection of games available than any other platform!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go the PC if he gets a powerful enough PC, he can emulate a PS2 legally if he buys the games. Besides the PC has THE LARGEST collection of games available than any other platform!
True, but most people only tackle console for "exclusive" games, like Halo which is only available for the Xbox, or SOCOM which is only available for the PS2.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halo is on the pc and if you own the SOCOM disc, he can "legally emulate" it on his pc.

Best answers
ps2 emulation sux and its not stable at all(points at low fps)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'd be surprised.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He should definitely get a PC. You do realize that the PS2 stands at only 300 MHz right?

So the reason why PS2 emulation sucks (I'm talking about the low fps) is because most emulators are still being worked on. Once a stable version comes out you'll be able to emulate games no problem. Hell, even an old Pentium 2 with 350 MHz could emulate it. But a PC doesn't just give you the ability to play games. Browsing the net, listening to music, buying stuff online, getting movies, keeping up with the news, etc.

Definitely a PC.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol Emulators. XD

Depends on what he wants. If he wants to invite a few friends over to play some games together. PS2. If he wants to own or be owned on the internet he should go PC.

PC's cost more but have other uses also.

He could always buy a Megadrive with SWOS, Cannonfodder and some random world-dominatoin game for ?3/$5. SWOS is also a 2 player.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He should definitely get a PC. You do realize that the PS2 stands at only 300 MHz right?

So the reason why PS2 emulation sucks (I'm talking about the low fps) is because most emulators are still being worked on. Once a stable version comes out you'll be able to emulate games no problem. Hell, even an old Pentium 2 with 350 MHz could emulate it. But a PC doesn't just give you the ability to play games. Browsing the net, listening to music, buying stuff online, getting movies, keeping up with the news, etc.

Definitely a PC.
What you fail to realize, is that the PS2 runs on a 128-bit processor.

Best answers
Spunky said:
What you fail to realize, is that the PS2 runs on a 128-bit processor.
What he also fails to realize is that you will never be able to emulate a PS2 with a P2 350MHz.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess you missed a point, he keeps the curent pc for music,internet and other stuff, if he gets a new one then it would be like a 20% improvement to the curent one, thats why I'm advising him to get a ps2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
20% better performance on an old PC or a PS2 with two controllers?

PS2 baby. If it was a next-gen console vs. some quad-core SLI monstrosity i'd give you a different answer but it's not, so i'm not. PS2 o/

Best answers
Lionheart you still haven't exactly explained how your friend is going to get a hold of a $100 PC. It doesn't make sense. PS2s cost $100 dollars U.S. here now. If the PC really costs the same amount as a PS2... it's going to be a peice of crap. It'll probably have some old ass Athlon Thunderbird, or a crappy Celeron with an integrated GFX card, and your friend would be lucky if he could play Quake 3 on it.

So... go for the PS2... if the above is the case.

If it's not, and he really is going to get a *****ing PC, then get that, definatly. PS2 emulation has come a long, long way. Trust me, I'm big into emulation. PCSX2 now runs FFX at full speed, through the entire game. It's only a matter of time until PS2 is as easily emulated as the PS1 is now.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
True, but most people only tackle console for "exclusive" games, like Halo which is only available for the Xbox, or SOCOM which is only available for the PS2.
Halo is on the PC, Halo 2 is coming to Vista eventually, Plus If he gets a PC he can emulate every PS1 and PS2 and PSP game available.
PCSX2 has come along way, And if you emulate a PS1 game, You can enable some fancy new tricks that will actually make the PS1 games look better, sometimes as good as a PS2 game.

Your point was based on architecture, mine was on raw speed. "-_-"
I'm sure someone has gotten it to run on the very old Pentium 2 processors, But framerates would be something shocking!
So I agree with ya there smith.
And the architecture of the Pentium 2... Its basically just a slightly crippled Katmai in my opinion.

Also of note, what is the SPECS of his current computer? There is such things as upgrades. For instance he might have a socket a mobo, which in that case, all you would need is a BIOS update, and a New Processor, And maybe more ram and a new graphix card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom