ps2 vs pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Plus If he gets a PC he can emulate every PS1 and PS2 and PSP game available.
You can't emulate PSP games [edit]yet[/edit]. There's no emulator that plays commercial games available for them on the PC. He also wouldn't be able to emulate every PS2 game. That, as you know, still requires very decent hardware.
And the architecture of the Pentium 2... Its basically just a slightly crippled Katmai in my opinion.
And in my opinion, the Katmai was just a slightly improved Pentium 2, considering it was part of the next line of Pentiums.

Best answers
He also wouldn't be able to emulate every PS2 game. That, as you know, still requires very decent hardware.
What are the PS2's specs?

Anyways I think that a PC would be better. You could always get a used PS2 for like $50 USD and it might be hard to find games for it in about a year unless you bought them used... which I'm not a fan of.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
You can't emulate PSP games [edit]yet[/edit]. There's no emulator that plays commercial games available for them on the PC. He also wouldn't be able to emulate every PS2 game. That, as you know, still requires very decent hardware.And in my opinion, the Katmai was just a slightly improved Pentium 2, considering it was part of the next line of Pentiums.
I was probably as pissed off as the next guy, with the minor improvements that the katmai brought with it over the much cheaper Pentium 2 at the time.
The Pentium 3 didnt really shine untill the coppermine and the tualatin rolled around.

And there are PSP emulators around, Unfortunately you can only run home brew and Demo's currently.

What are the PS2's specs?
128-bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294 MHz
32 MiB Direct Rambus or RDRAM
"Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz
Pixel pipelines: 16
4 MB *****ded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 Gigabit per second

There is no point in comparing console specs to the PC, Consoles use highly optimized code because all the machines have the same hardware, Where-as PC's use a bloated operating system, And code has to be optimized to take advantage of several different hardware and operating configurations.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He decided to get a ps2, and I asked him for the pc hardware paper he showed me but he said he threw it away cuz he didn't need it.
All I can remember is that his old pc had 512RAM and the new one had 1024 RAM,the video card was the same and the old procesor had 1.2GHz and the new one had 1.4GHz(not to shure about this one)

Best answers
Definatly made the right choice then. 1.4GHz isn't much now-a-days. I'm on a 3500+ 64, and that's getting pretty old.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Clockspeed doesn't really fully tell the story on the pure performance of a processor, Like the whole netburst VS Athlon garbage, The Pentium 4 ramped up clockspeeds faster than the Athlon's yet the Athlons always managed to be competitive even if 1ghz slower.

Anyway good luck to your friend with the PS2! May all his gaming needs be filled.

Best answers
And there are PSP emulators around, Unfortunately you can only run home brew and Demo's currently.
I feel like what I post just gets ignored sometimes. "You can't emulate PSP games [edit]yet[/edit]. There's no emulator that plays commercial games available for them on the PC."

LionHeart said:
He decided to get a ps2, and I asked him for the pc hardware paper he showed me but he said he threw it away cuz he didn't need it.
All I can remember is that his old pc had 512RAM and the new one had 1024 RAM,the video card was the same and the old procesor had 1.2GHz and the new one had 1.4GHz(not to shure about this one)
Tassadar said:
Definatly made the right choice then. 1.4GHz isn't much now-a-days. I'm on a 3500+ 64, and that's getting pretty old.
Pemalite said:
Clockspeed doesn't really fully tell the story on the pure performance of a processor
It may not tell a story, but it paints a picture. What we know is that he wouldn't have been able to emulate PS2 games at a playable rate. And I agree with Tassadar, he made the right choice :p. PS2 has a nice collection of games.

Best answers
What we know is that he wouldn't have been able to emulate PS2 games at a playable rate.
What specs would you need to play a PS2 emulator at a good rate?

I think the PS2 was a good choice if those were his new comp specs. PS2's are still really fun and will probably be around a while longer considering that the PS3 isn't going very far...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I feel like what I post just gets ignored sometimes. "You can't emulate PSP games [edit]yet[/edit]. There's no emulator that plays commercial games available for them on the PC."
That went ova' your head - Demo's are games, Shorter simpler versions.

Minimal Specs:
AMD XP/64 or Intel Pentium 4 (VM Built will not work with non SSE2 CPU's)
512MB of RAM
Pixel Shader 1.4 supporting card (GSdx Graphics Plugin Only)

Recommended Specs: (For reasonable preformance in many games, but not all)
AMD64 X2 or Intel Conroe E6600+ (Multi Threading is supported in PCSX2)
512-1024MB of RAM (more RAM allows for VM mode to be stable)
Pixel Shader 2.0 supporting card (recommended GeForce 6600-8800 or equivilent ATi card)

Hope that helps spec's wise for the PS2 emulation!
Still, You never really know how the emulator will perform unless you try it for yourself. With the right plugins, Tweaks and settings people have gotten it to run on sub-Ghz processors and Radeon 9200's

Best answers
That went ova' your head - Demo's are games, Shorter simpler versions.
It didn't "go over my head", I was reaffirming my claim: there's no PSP emulator out that can play PSP demos. There's only one publicly released emulator, called PSPE, and it only plays some homebrew.
Pemalite said:
Still, You never really know how the emulator will perform unless you try it for yourself. With the right plugins, Tweaks and settings people have gotten it to run on sub-Ghz processors and Radeon 9200's
You can "get it to run" on almost anything, but having a high enough frame rate to even play it is entirely different.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thread has run it's course, problem solved, crisis averted.

Scissor me, Xerxes.

-Closed-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom