Program request.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Someone's probably gonna kick my ass for this, but I have a simple request: Could someone code me a program that automatically shuts down my PC after a certain time or at a specific time? If you could do that I'd be really thankful. I googled for some similar programs but they're too complex for my liking.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but it's beyond my skills. Sorry bro.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Someone's probably gonna kick my ass for this, but I have a simple request: Could someone code me a program that automatically shuts down my PC after a certain time or at a specific time? If you could do that I'd be really thankful. I googled for some similar programs but they're too complex for my liking.
Using XP?

If yes than do the folowing.

1.) Open notepad

2.) Type in "shutdown -s -t 120"

3.) Click save as.

4.) Click the place where it saystext file. And select All fles in the drop down menu.

5.) Save the file as .bat

When you run that file you will have 2 minutes before the computer shuts down.

The -t parameter is time in seconds. Change that to what you need.

You can also add a -c "text" to make your PC write out the test you enter.

Standard Windows XP thing.

NO special programing needed.

Ither commands are:

shutdown -r (reboot)

shutdown -a (abort the shut down timer and dont shut down)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool, thanks Grega. However, every time I try to shut down my PC, regardless whether I use this batch file, I get this:

And after that I can't shut down until I press End Now. My dad says that some application that I have in the background is causing this because it refuses to close after the shut down is initiated. But I closed all background applications before I tried it and the same thing appears. Any ideas?

@Spunky: No problem, dude. However, if you do learn to make something like this and do make it, just PM me, OK?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I have a program on this PC that can shutdown the pc with a "Force" option. Meaning, It'll force your computer to shutdown right away.

Here it is:
http://staff.filesnetwork.com/skyrider/shutdown.exe

You can scan it for viruses if you wish, I'm not a person who just infects a computer. I got a reputation I have to keep.

Either way, the software is rather simple, but effective.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Cool, thanks Grega. However, every time I try to shut down my PC, regardless whether I use this batch file, I get this:

And after that I can't shut down until I press End Now. My dad says that some application that I have in the background is causing this because it refuses to close after the shut down is initiated. But I closed all background applications before I tried it and the same thing appears. Any ideas?

@Spunky: No problem, dude. However, if you do learn to make something like this and do make it, just PM me, OK?
Strange. Worked everytime for me.

Try with the "-r" instead of "-s" that should force a restart.

Basicly the shutdown command is what happens when you click to turn off your computer.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I believe he wants the computer to shut down right away. But some programs can be annoying.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
I have a program on this PC that can shutdown the pc with a "Force" option. Meaning, It'll force your computer to shutdown right away.

Here it is:
http://staff.filesnetwork.com/skyrider/shutdown.exe

You can scan it for viruses if you wish, I'm not a person who just infects a computer. I got a reputation I have to keep.

Either way, the software is rather simple, but effective.
Thanks man, you rock. This program is exactly what I needed. I didn't scan it for viruses because I trust people like you. Thanks again, man.

Grega said:
Strange. Worked everytime for me.

Try with the "-r" instead of "-s" that should force a restart.

Basicly the shutdown command is what happens when you click to turn off your computer.
Yep, I guess that was the problem. I never have the problem when I shut down the right way, through the start menu. Only when I click. Well, thanks for you too. Thanks guys. Alright, this can be closed.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic, no problem. I take it the software shuts down as you want? I never really get the error messages that you just got, but I believe the program should close that box as well and continue shutting down.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, that little guy solves everything. No error message at all. I just wait 2-3 seconds after the countdown reaches 0 to initiate the shut down which I don't mind waiting at all, but other than that everything's fine.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I doubt this program / software is for your own. Hehe, perhaps some annoying sister / brother? :p.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, I need it. I usually get bored when I need to go to sleep and watch Naruto via my TV Display. So since it runs on my PC, I need it to turn off after like 2 hours or so.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Alrighty, have fun with it :).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Nope, I need it. I usually get bored when I need to go to sleep and watch Naruto via my TV Display. So since it runs on my PC, I need it to turn off after like 2 hours or so.
Ah, so you needed a sleep timer for your PC. That's pretty clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom