Program blocker, where to get one?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm looking for a "Parental" control software which blocks windows software. In this case, I wish to block windows software such as Internet Explorer so no one can access it. Any one knows such freeware/open source software? It's for Windows XP by the way.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Skys going to be a parent!!!!

Whose the father, Sky?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
:p Actually, it's for my parents.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm. I would just boot into safe mode and change the file name that explorer boots from. I know it would work with an ordinary program, but IE is kind of built into XP so that might not work.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Hmm. I would just boot into safe mode and change the file name that explorer boots from. I know it would work with an ordinary program, but IE is kind of built into XP so that might not work.
I've seen tons of software at school which blocks a lot of software, with IE included. So there should be a software out there, but I just don't know any as I never used one before. As for safe mode, no deal. Sorry ^^, bit of a hassle to do that everytime.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Usually the software used at schools merely blocks domains other than those specified, and restricting access to run certain programs by making it impossible to find or run the exe.

You could delete all trace of IE from the computer and then set firefox as default browser.

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm looking for a "Parental" control software which blocks windows software. In this case, I wish to block windows software such as Internet Explorer so no one can access it. Any one knows such freeware/open source software? It's for Windows XP by the way.
wow i am suprised sky, because you made a thread of....HELP!!! imagein movein your own thread to the help section..lol just jking soory man i dont really know but you can ask your mate..witch starts with a "G" it is ooh mighty WISE GREGA

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Why would this thread belong to the help section? The Help section is clearly for ESF related things only, not requests such as this one. And I'm afraid your reply is one of the spam I was talking about as it wasn't really needed. Please don't reply if you don't have much useful things to say :). Grega might be an expert at helping people with ESF, but I don't think he's the all-knowing in software related matters :D.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Thanks for the help grega, but I don't wish to disable IE alone. I'd also like to disable other software by selecting the *.exe files and completely disable them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try to use windows access rights. You can specify if certain users (or usergroups) have access to certain folders (read/write).

Don't know how good this would work, but it uses no external app.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Windows XP Compatible
Free
Microsoft software, thus genuine

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

Should do the job from what I've read.

Windows SteadyState User Restrictions

<table class="contentTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="twoThirdsOneThirdModuleRowSpan" valign="top"><td colspan="9">
</td></tr><tr class="twoThirdsOneThirdModuleBG" valign="top"><td colspan="5" class="partitionTwoThirds" width="502">Take control of your shared computer with SteadyState restrictions

Protect your shared computer by customizing what users can do on it. Windows SteadyState puts you in control of which programs, features, disk drives, and websites are available to each user. For the inexperienced user, your computer will be more consistent and less complex. For an untrusted user, you can initiate enhanced security features on your computer.
Start Menu restrictions let you remove items from the Start Menu. This means you can disable user access to items such as:

• Shut Down
  • Control Panel
  • Command Prompt
  • Windows Explorer
Drive restrictions determine which drives are visible to the user in My Computer. You can select the option to hide all drives, show all drives, or select specific drives that you do not want exposed to the user. These include printers or removable storage devices.
Program restrictions let you block a user from running a particular program, such as a system tool, simply by adding that program to the blocked list.
Feature restrictions can stop users from accessing program attributes that might damage or clutter the computer. For example, you can prevent users from adding to the Clip Organizer, creating Microsoft Office macros, using Visual Basic, or saving Internet Explorer favorites.
Internet restrictions let you set the Internet Explorer home page, and you can block access to any Internet site not specifically listed as allowed.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I had:
Windows XP
Windows Vista

I now have:
Windows 7

I tested this and worked with XP:

Go login on your administrator account (the real one) by doing this:

1. Log off and go to your choose-account screen.

2. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice

3. Username: Administrator
Leave password empty

If that didn't work then someone might passworded it if you know it than fill it in of course.

4. You're on the desktop, go to the program you which to restrict (a .exe file).

5. Right click on it and the click properties.

6. go to the tab "security"

7. Click edit

8. Click which account you want to restrict use of this program.

9. Then it's up to you what permissions you want to give them for this .exe only.

10. Press Ok and then press Ok again

You're done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom