Professional Gaming Contracts Worth 1 million Dollars ?

Best answers
This is simply unbelievable-- i was reading up on a few things and recently found out that gamers now are being payed millions to play in tournaments that absolutely no one watches-- i can't believe their actually calling themselves " Professional Atheletes. " This is almost as bad as showing the Domino tourneys on ESPN-- this definitely is something to be ashamed of, if anything and im a huge gaming fan myself.

I don't mean to rant, but seriously-- when the world needs so many other things and so many different charities exist and ect-- your going to take that money and give it to these so called " Professional Gamers " -- these guys are getting paid more than people who work their asses off everday in construction or retail-- people who actually work hard at something that isn't a hobby. I know this sounds like jealousy-- but it's nothing like that. This is utterly stupid.

I think it shows just how downhill america is going-- pay crap for Scientists, Engineers, Programmers, Designers and pay people 1 million just to do nothing at all but play games and add nothing to society. They are not even role models.

-- Any other thoughts on the matter ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait is it 1 million per winner? Or a million for just being a contestant?

Either way it sounds like an outages amount of money. I mean if it was like a GLOBAL gaming competition with a hell lot of competors, I could see something like this, but if it's an isolated gathering then a million is a biiiit much.

Did it say what games were being played in the competition?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
these guys are getting paid more than people who work their asses off everday in construction or retail
All professional athletes make way more money than they deserve. There's nothing new or exciting about this...

Anyone who is extremely good at what they do (whether it be poker, swordfighting, running, video games) will always make a ton of money doing it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Compared to how much baseball players are paid for what they do, these guys are underpaid.

Anyone who is extremely good at what they do (whether it be poker, swordfighting, running, video games) will always make a ton of money doing it.
What if somebody were really good at hopping on one foot?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't find it offensive at all, but then again that might be because I'm going into game creation and am thus biased.

This simply means that gaming has a chance of reaching a broader audience and being look upon as a more serious form of entertainment by non-gamers, which in turn means more revenue for the industry and a likelihood of their being more job openings in the coming years.

As for the amount the gamers themselves are being paid, good for them. And as for the people giving out that much money for such an "easy" task, they stand to make a lot more than a million dollars so good for them as well.
It's those business owners money; they developed their business to bring in that kind of income and they now have the opportunity to make even more with relatively little effort on their part.
I know how far a million dollars towards charity can go, but I think its a little arrogant to expect people to act based upon my perceptions of what I think they should do with their money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
If he can stay on one foot for a week straight, he'd be damned well into the guiness book of world records, and have some people interview him and then become famous and earn moneys.

...thats a good idea. D:

--

IMO, i'm a gamer myself, and I wouldn't mind earning 1 million for beating people and sitting on my ass all day.

But, I see where you're coming at too. Same with Chakra, if there were millions of contestants and such, and one won it all, the prize is damned earned, but if it's a few people, then I'd say a few hundred or maybe 1 thousand.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Everyone can hop on one foot. I don't find "gaming" as a sport really. But hey, they're getting paid. So I'm not going to complain. And neither are they. But Kurt's right, anyone will get paid a lot for being good at one thing. (Obviously it's being good at something most others can't do/be good at)

Pardon my exceptionally bad grammar.

Best answers
All professional athletes make way more money than they deserve. There's nothing new or exciting about this...
This is all kinda new to me, ive heard people complain about it before, but i never actually knew it was true-- and a professional gamer isn't a athlete at all-- it doesn't even require being active at all-- that's just taking things abit to far isn't it..how can people be counted as a athlete when there isn't any type of fitness involved-- why not call me a professional athlete of bake goods as well all because i have a love for food and i can sit on my ass and eat longer then anyone else(not true of course)-- it just doesn't make any sense.

I know how far a million dollars towards charity can go, but I think its a little arrogant to expect people to act based upon my perceptions of what I think they should do with their money.
You have a point, i can respect that no individual can spend someone's money better that individual with the money-- but this just seems really wrong to me..

Wait is it 1 million per winner? Or a million for just being a contestant?

Either way it sounds like an outages amount of money. I mean if it was like a GLOBAL gaming competition with a hell lot of competors, I could see something like this, but if it's an isolated gathering then a million is a biiiit much.

Did it say what games were being played in the competition?
-- Nope, but mainly they were said to be in the fighting and sports genre. And it's 1 million per winner i think, i'll have to check it out again.

Best answers
professional eaters make a lot of money at eating contests, professional bakers make good money competing at baking contests. Its all about competition, and how much of it there is. If people wanna strive to be the best in whatever area there is, then there is competition, and where there is competition then there is contests with money.

Best answers
It's probably to stop moms and dads from stopping kids from playing video games. If the parents know that kids can make alot of money of of it then they'll be like sweet lets buy them more games. You see it's just to promote parents into buying more games for their children.... Damn companies....

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know if I were in one of those tournaments I would so enter if they poaid me in order to get a new rig, however I wonder where the companies would actually get the money from just to pay people to do so, I mean they would have to account their own loss in doing such things. You want gamers with skill though, not gamers that will just know how to do one thing in a game and keep repeating it rather then using all the different elements of a game to defeat someone depending on what the game is based on.

It sort of leads me to the question as to why Johnthan Wendel "Fatality" is so popular in terms of gaming. Already he has deals with Creative and Abit to use the "Fatality" name in their products, or market under a slogan sayying it meets Johnthan's needs or wants on the product that has the "Fatality" naming.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
This is all kinda new to me, ive heard people complain about it before, but i never actually knew it was true-- and a professional gamer isn't a athlete at all-- it doesn't even require being active at all-- that's just taking things abit to far isn't it..how can people be counted as a athlete when there isn't any type of fitness involved--
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the term athlete.

It's set up as a traditional sport, but they are more or less "contestants" rather than athletes.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
clen said:
It's probably to stop moms and dads from stopping kids from playing video games. If the parents know that kids can make alot of money of of it then they'll be like sweet lets buy them more games. You see it's just to promote parents into buying more games for their children.... Damn companies....

didn't stop this mother :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing new to me. There's gaming competitions held in South Korea and many other countries there where the contestants earn big bucks for winning.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that America would do the same.

Best answers
Professional Gaming Contracts Worth 1 million Dollars ?
No.

At least, to think that a gamer should be paid a million dollars is really outrageous. That's not to say baseball players or many athletes are worth that much either.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i won a quake 3 tournament once... i got a beer for my efforts.

it was a good day for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom