Problems with my graphics card

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
4 days ago i bought a radeon 9800pro AIW (all-in-wonder) because my old card died.
this card seemed to work fine but after like 10 minutes of gaming, the graphics get ****ed up.
looks like this:

before this happens the game runs fluid and everything is fine.

i think the card may overheat but i'm not shure.
is there a possibility to cool down the card without using a new vga cooler (and loosing guaranty)?

sorry if my english is crappy

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you remove the drivers of the old gfx card before you instaleld this graphics card?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had an ati card before, so the drivers are the same. but i removed the old drivers completely before installing the new card, and then installed the new drivers.
i'm getting this only when playing on high settings (but not too high, the fps>70)
when playing on mid or low settings, everythings fine (but low settings suck:) )

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You haven't overclocked it at all have you?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no i havn't overclocked it (would be pretty stupid to overclock my brand new card after my old died^^)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you using the latest Drivers for your Graphics card?.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It happened with every game i tried to play. the higher i set the setting the faster it will happen.
i'm using the latest drivers available for my card

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
It seems your GPU or videocard memory is overheating o_O.

Try to look up the temperatures with Everest or other temperature reading program.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Devion said:

Try to look up the temperatures with Everest or other temperature reading program.
Or bring the card back, and get a new one :)

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Skyrider said:
Or bring the card back, and get a new one :)
The inside of his case also may be getting too hot and he isnt sure that its temps, maybe its a driver issue ;x

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I were you I would install a few more case fans in you pc case, or take the card back as suggested above. If you bought a gecube card, you can expect them to have a lot of issues (just like my gecube radeon 9600xt extreme, that screwed up within 3 - 4 months of having it :().

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:

Correct.
Saiyan_Overlord said:
If I were you I would install a few more case fans in you pc case, or take the card back as suggested above. If you bought a gecube card, you can expect them to have a lot of issues (just like my gecube radeon 9600xt extreme, that screwed up within 3 - 4 months of having it :().
Just because you had one issue doesn't mean everyone will, so you can't expect anything. And installing more case fans can do damage instead of helping. You need to be strategic or goodbye airflow.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok i now got Everest, but unfortunately my card doesn't have any temp. sensors. so i can't look how high the temperature is.
im now quite sure that my video memory is overheating.
my case is open and if i touch the heatsink it is not too hot.
but when i touch the memory it's damn hot.
i bought the card last wednesday and after the problems occured i went to the store on friday and got a new one.
but the problem still remains.

the only way i know to cool down the card would be installing a new vga cooler. but then i loose guaranty.
and i dont know if that would cool down the memory too.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Correct.

Just because you had one issue doesn't mean everyone will, so you can't expect anything. And installing more case fans can do damage instead of helping. You need to be strategic or goodbye airflow.
I am aware of that, but if you look how many people have had to return gecube gfx products, you would be stunned. The same thing has happened to three others I know, I also had a friend that bought an Gecube X800 XL & the fan died on it within a week (wasn't cloggees with dust or anything, and he has 12cm fans in his case too). Iv'e also read a lot of consumer complaints towards gecube too.

I'd say return it & see what happens, they'll ethier send you a new card/better product revision.

EDIT: Hmm, you did take it back... Maybe you should look into getting a bette case with more fans and that can fit bigger fans (just as long as you don't mind the nosie :)).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have 2 case fans. one blowing in from the side and one that blows out of the case at the back. so there should be an airflow.
but i think normally the card shouldn't overheat while the case is open.

maybe the card is interfering with some components in my comp?
i'll post my specs:
CPU AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Core Barton
Motherboard Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
512 MB DDR SDRAM 133 MHz (DDR)
ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES (128 MB) (9800 pro)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it was probably just the card. Make sure you dust your case out every once and a while though, as that's insulation ;/.
EDIT: Hmm, you did take it back... Maybe you should look into getting a bette case with more fans and that can fit bigger fans (just as long as you don't mind the nosie ).
And you haven't read what I said, heh. More fans != cooler temps. Fan placement is >>> fan quantity. 3 well placed fans can outcool 10 poorly placed ones.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
kam! said:
I have 2 case fans. one blowing in from the side and one that blows out of the case at the back. so there should be an airflow.
but i think normally the card shouldn't overheat while the case is open.

maybe the card is interfering with some components in my comp?
i'll post my specs:
CPU AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Core Barton
Motherboard Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
512 MB DDR SDRAM 133 MHz (DDR)
ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES (128 MB) (9800 pro)
Your'e using the same mainboard as me :).
What brand of card did you buy? did it come factory overclocked or not? (and if so, lower it back to default 9800pro speeds). Try underclocking it a little to see if the card cools down a little (though I must say that would suck if it's overheating and it's a factoy oced card, it might be an idea to restore the default clock speeds of a 9800pro).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No 9800Pro AIW brand came preoverclocked, afaik. Besides, he's already returned the card, so... But wait, his problem remains eh? Hm...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the card didn't came overclocked, the speeds are the default ones.
i think the card was manufactured by Ati itself
(i think the all-in-wonder series are produced by ati and not another manufacturer).

Edit: maybe i'll return the card again but i don't think that it would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom