Problems with Internet Explorer

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I just recently start getting this error:

This error popped up when I tried to clear out my temporary internet files folder.

I also receive this error when trying to view certain web sites:

In case anyone's wondering, I'm using Firefox to type this up since I don't get the same errors with it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That happened to me and I don't know why, It's been going on for awhile until I reinstalled.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
continue using firefox?
I personally don't like FireFox that much and I still prefer Internet Explorer.

mf29 said:
That happened to me and I don't know why, It's been going on for awhile until I reinstalled.
You reinstalled Internet Explorer?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:

You reinstalled Internet Explorer?
You can add & remove windows apps with the use of your xp cd or downloading it from microsoft's website.
I prefer firefox obviously :p.
If you still want to use IE, you could try using a IE Shell such as Avant or Maxthon which use IE's rendering engine but add a different user interface and tabs to IE (Maxthon also has a few other goodies you might like).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If you have a legal copy of XP, why not call Microsoft's tech support instead of asking on an internet forum? :yes:

Best answers
Try searching new updates to IE from Microsoft website? I heard there was some kind beta version of new version in development. I can't remember when i heard this, so it just might be out-dated information.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In case anyone's wondering, I'm using Firefox to type this up since I don't get the same errors with it.
I think I see a solution to this problem of yours... don't worry if you prefer IE now, you'll come around eventually.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
If you have a legal copy of XP, why not call Microsoft's tech support instead of asking on an internet forum? :yes:
I figured that there would be a way to reinstall it without the Windows XP CD but apparently you need it (which I do have by the way).

Jariroth said:
Try searching new updates to IE from Microsoft website? I heard there was some kind beta version of new version in development. I can't remember when i heard this, so it just might be out-dated information.
I tried that, but it was just a few security updates. The new Internet Explorer causes problems with Steam and a number of other things (probably why it's still in beta).

frsrblch said:
I think I see a solution to this problem of yours... don't worry if you prefer IE now, you'll come around eventually.
I've had FireFox for about a year and a half, which I only used for certain sites that, for some reason, didn't display or work properly with Internet Explorer.

I tried reinstalling Internet Explorer with my Windows XP CD, but Internet Explorer still crashes on certain web pages. One of the web pages it crashes on is the POTW thread that was created yesterday. I was able to get onto it previously, but something cause Internet Explorer to close and then why I tried viewing the POTW thread, it crashed. That's just one of the web pages it crashes on.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you have IE running while cleaning out you temporary internet files? It almost sounds as if IE is trying to find a file from the temporary internet fiels folder that no longer exists in that directory. I remeber my friend did the same thing as you, only with IE running at the time and had some problems, so in future I advised if he was gonig to do it to close IE first before cleaning them out using disk clean up.

As stated before though, you'll eventually feel safe and sound with firefox, or if you still want to use IE get maxthon or avant.
MC said:
I tried reinstalling Internet Explorer with my Windows XP CD, but Internet Explorer still crashes on certain web pages. One of the web pages it crashes on is the POTW thread that was created yesterday. I was able to get onto it previously, but something cause Internet Explorer to close and then why I tried viewing the POTW thread, it crashed. That's just one of the web pages it crashes on.
I see IE crash on a regular bassis on pcs at my tafe while viewing most java based pages.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or go to add and remove programs, system apps, internet explorer.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
or go to add and remove programs, system apps, internet explorer.
At this point he is still going to need IE for certain websites that only work properly in IE or designed to work for IE and don' work properly or at all in other browsers, so removing it completely would be a worse situation should he come across a website where he may need to use IE. Even though these days a lot of sites are now working properly in other browsers like Mozilla/firefox, there are still a certain few that aren't optimized or that do not work properly in other browsers other then IE.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
Try AOL Exlporer.
AOL Explorer = bad =/. Just a bad IE Shell with Active-X disabled and a few bells and whistles, but nothing spectacular. Look what AOL did to netscape too, practically killed it and turned it into a useless distribution of the Gecko engine (The same engine used by Mozilla/firefox/Seamonkey and a few other browsers that are built off this engine).

Maxthon or Avant make much better alternatives as a IE wrapper.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
Did you have IE running while cleaning out you temporary internet files? It almost sounds as if IE is trying to find a file from the temporary internet fiels folder that no longer exists in that directory. I remeber my friend did the same thing as you, only with IE running at the time and had some problems, so in future I advised if he was gonig to do it to close IE first before cleaning them out using disk clean up.
I tried doing a Disk Clean Up and that crashed, I tried deleting the Temporary Internet Files with Internet Explorer not opened, and it crashed, then I tried manually deleting files from the Temporary Internet Files Folder, but that hasn't fixed my problem.

Apparently there's more to this problem then I thought. I'm now missing a number of files (Volume Control, Calculator, Paint, just to name a few). Also it would seem that I need a copy of Windows XP that has Service Pack 2 since the CD I have came with Service Pack 1.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
lol virus

backup files, format and reinstall windows, stop running IE (particularly from an admin account)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
lol virus

backup files, format and reinstall windows, stop running IE (particularly from an admin account)
Great... So... I should ditch Internet Explorer for FireFox... What are the benefits?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
MC said:
Great... So... I should ditch Internet Explorer for FireFox... What are the benefits?
Your **** won't get hacked?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Codeman said:
Your **** won't get hacked?
You make that sound like it's obvious, which I'm sure it is with people that know about this stuff while people like me are clueless/careless. I'll reword my previous question:

What's wrong with Internet Explorer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom