Power Supply: The blue screen culprit?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a GeForce 6200 OC and I've been trying to narrow down why certain games may freeze up, continue, and freeze up. I also still get a blue screen on some start ups on my computer, such as "Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area" or something like that.

I checked the specs of the graphics card and saw that it required a 300w power supply. Still not knowing enough about computers, I assumed that it was such a basic requirement that it would have worked fine (the people at Best Buy recommended it anyway...). However, the sticker on my power supply say "maximum output 250w". Now this may be a completely dumb question but, could that be the issue? I also have an Audigy Sound blaster PCI card.

I've read that 250w is extremely low by todays standard, so I was looking on Newegg for PSU with higher wattage, but with a low price (lower than $70). What would be the recommended amount for today's standards? A 500w?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your power supply is fine.

I suggest running a memory test though and if that comes clean, try a graphic card stress test.
It's most likely one of those two.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Prozac said:
your power supply is fine.

I suggest running a memory test though and if that comes clean, try a graphic card stress test.
It's most likely one of those two.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above.
I just got two sticks of 1gb DDR RAM, and I had the same message with the old RAM. I'm going to try a graphic card stress test though.

Best answers
Sometimes after you reboot from a Blue Screen then restart your computer again, when it loads up windows, it may give you an error report of what had happened. You should visit the site it links and it should tell you the general area of what's occurring.

I remember I was receiving a lot of BSODs back in September of last year, turned out to be my audio driver. Drivers are the leading cause of BSODs so I must ask, have you updated any or added on any programs before they started happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom