Power Struggle progression

Best answers
In the whole first part of your post you still neglected one important issue. The struggle moves. And the speed is determined by the strenght on each side of the struggle. Meaning the beam itself. Each pump gives energy to the struggle. The more the energy difference btwean the sides of the struggle the more speed the struggle has.

So simply altering visuals wont really affect the flaws of a closed space concept.

And i allso honestly think the current solution works best. Meaning the pumps have their own speed. And the speed is not affected by distance. Instead having the speed be affected by pump charge or turbo would be simpler and not leave any hols ion the design.
Yeah it's been kind of confusing talking about so many different things and changing topics at the drop of a hat. I'll try to summarize and clarify things the best I can, starting with the most recent first.

With Visuals, I'm talking about having them under an ACTUAL distance scale. The coding would look at how far the beam struggle extends from one end to the other, and based on that number, it would alter its size. If a player is 500 distance from the other, it'd increase the size by 0 + 50. If a player is 1000 distance from the other, it'd increase the size by 0 + 25. The farther players are apart from each other, the less the Pump Size visually increases. If they're right next to each other, or at the minimum distance where the Pump Size stops getting larger, then it will be as big as it gets, and vice versa.

The way Pump Speed works, I don't think it should work on an Actual Distance, because it gives incentive towards the other player to retreat from the beam and THEN block it. I think it should be more simple, like if you want to block it, you block it. If you want to avoid it, you avoid it. Not so that you should have to fly backwards to maximize your effectiveness at blocking. The longer the distance the attacker has to pump, the less effective the pumps become, and the more time the defender has to fight it back.

So if Pump Speed is under a closed system, distance would be irrelevant. The oddities of having the speeds faster or slower would then be visually corrected with the idea mentioned before; Actual Distance affects Pump Size affects Beam Growth. The closer they are, the larger and faster the growth. The struggle number values all stay the same though.

Now here I'm talking about the Beams during the struggle. In order to have close quarters Beam Struggles, I think the Beams should also travel under the same closed system that Pump Speed does. The distance that players are from each other becomes irrelevant, and the value that the beam and the pump travels is always under the same fixed scale. That way as long as you can charge the attack and fire it back in time, you'll have the exact same chance at fighting back than if you were a mile away.

I think these ideas would have an incredible impact on balancing how power struggles work both mechanically and visually.

I'm less sure about this idea, so don't categorize it with the others. But I think that Turbo COULD affect Pump Speed, Pump Size, and how fast Ki is charged into the Pump (Ki Pump Charge Speed). This is just something to consider during balancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom