Possible Vaccine for Drug Addiction

MC

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
CHICAGO (AFP) - In a search for what could be the ultimate cure for drug addiction, scientists have developed a vaccine which prevents the body from getting high.

The hope is that it can stop people from falling back into a spiral of addiction if they have a relapse.

The most promising results so far have been with cocaine, but researchers hope it could also one day be used to cure addiction to methamphetamine, heroin and even cigarettes.

"The vaccine slowly decreases the amount of cocaine that reaches the brain," said Thomas Kosten, a professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, who has been working on the vaccine since 1995.

"It's a slow process, and patients do not go through any significant withdrawal symptoms."

The vaccine works by getting the body's immune system to recognize the drug as foreign and attack it in the blood stream.

It does so by injecting an altered version of the drug into the body which has been attached to a protein that the body will recognize as a threat.

"The body then says, 'This is a foreign article. I should start making antibodies to it,'" Kosten said in a telephone interview.

The cocaine molecules eventually pass through the kidneys and are excreted through the urine.

That stops the drug from reaching the brain and producing a sought-after high.

Use of the vaccine would lead to a gradual tapering of dependence, Kosten said.

"Gradually, antibody levels would rise. If you kept using (cocaine), you'd get less and less of an effect."

Of all the drugs tested, cocaine is the easiest one for which to develop a vaccine because of an enzyme in the bloodstream, cholinesterase, that helps break it down, Kosten said.

He has also begun to test vaccines for methamphetamine and heroin in animal studies, and hopes to eventually add nicotine to the list.

"That's going to be the moneymaker," he said.

The injections are designed for therapeutic -- not for preventative -- use, and are meant for those already suffering from addiction.

That, however, does not rule out other possible future uses, Kosten said.

"You could potentially inject pregnant cocaine users with the vaccine to prevent their fetuses from becoming contaminated," he explained.

Other uses could include administering the vaccine to high-risk adolescents in order to prevent them from becoming addicted early on, he said, while acknowledging that this would raise serious ethical and legal questions.

Testing for the cocaine vaccine has included a series of five injections over a period of three months, Kosten said.

The vaccine has one more large scale human study scheduled before it is ready for the federal Food and Drug Administration approval process.

A similar nicotine vaccine is also in the early stages of testing by several groups of European researchers. Kosten hopes to have the vaccine on the market in two to three years.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008013...ugaddiction;_ylt=AhwCPTppoLH1TxdjXBaID1qs0NUE

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
so are drugs ...

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
So is DJ-Ready's signature...

Neat discovery.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
i disagree with that, actually

it is a cool development though. ive known quite a few people that took to drugs and consistently fell trying to get over the addiction.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
If this is possible and used in the future, it sure beats the expensive-ass russian brain surgery thing they're doing. Theory is they remove a part of the brain that deals with drug addiction, along with some other insignificant things. Without it, it's basically impossible to get addicted. But it's risky and expensive.

I'm feeling optimisic, and if this **** pulls through, a lot of lives will be saved, which is always good. Thumbs up! :yes:

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm feeling optimisic, and if this **** pulls through, a lot of lives will be saved, which is always good. Thumbs up! :yes:
Oh what the **** ever. Since when are people not allowed to die happy, self inflicted deaths?

There are far more constructive ways to save lives eg: Stop people shooting people.

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
A nicotine vaccine, "That's going to be the moneymaker" .. hell yeah.
I wouldn't take it though since they have yet no idea what side effects it could possibly cause in the long term.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The only way to cure an addiction is to apply another adiction.

A perfect example would be people who start chewing gum instead of smoking. Some people go to biting fingernails or other new adictions with wich they remove the old one.

In reality everyone is addicted to something, just that some things are less dangereous then others.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
In reality, you can stop your addiction completely. "The sum of all vices" is not constant. That's just a common misconception. You can better yourself, and you can stop your addictions. It helps to "relocate" your addiction though, so you have one that's easier to drop.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The cocaine molecules eventually pass through the kidneys and are excreted through the urine.
Bringing drug trafficking to a bathroom near you.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers

Neat discovery.
So is yours.
Are you trying to refer to a certain person dan?

Ontopic tough, in my opinion it would mess up the person even more than he allready is and would result in some suicidal atempts since the guy would need drugs but wouldn't want to take them, thus the stress piles up and he goes emo on his life.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
You know, most people addicted to drugs want to stop, but can't. This would help in that situation, so there'd be no addiction.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
CHICAGO (AFP) - In a search for what could be the ultimate cure for drug addiction, scientists have developed a vaccine which prevents the body from getting high.
Logical Thinking:

1)This product may be good for a person who "Doesn't smoke but is tempted to". Even with that possible good perspective, there is the RISK of a side effect from the vaccine if not more.

2)This product won't be good for the hardcore drug abuser who's body literally needs the drug to function. Reasoning: The drug prevents the person from getting high, but isn't the "HIGH" what the person is "addicted to?" To render a person unable to experience the high may cause serious withdrawal problems. Maybe not tho, it's possible a vaccinated person may be able to take their drugs in moderation to prevent the "desire" to experience the high, IF they're legal ones.( Basicly, im not seeing this drug presented as saying IT ELIMINATES THE ADDICTION. It's only eliminating the HIGH)

3) I'm already skeptical about "vaccines" considering what's in many of them. So.. If I did drugs, I wouldn't take to this so quickly

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
2)This product won't be good for the hardcore drug abuser who's body literally needs the drug to function. Reasoning: The drug prevents the person from getting high, but isn't the "HIGH" what the person is "addicted to?" To render a person unable to experience the high may cause serious withdrawal problems. Maybe not tho, it's possible a vaccinated person may be able to take their drugs in moderation to prevent the "desire" to experience the high, IF they're legal ones.( Basicly, im not seeing this drug presented as saying IT ELIMINATES THE ADDICTION. It's only eliminating the HIGH)

It's not that you get your fix without feeling high, it's that your brain gets very little of the drug itself. This makes withdrawals a problem, but really only with drugs like Heroine. Heroine withdrawals can actually kill you, but most others won't. And it's not like you're going to get this without the help of a doctor guiding you either. This may not be the first step to fighting addiction, but a step later if you can first start to control it yourself.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, most people addicted to drugs want to stop, but can't. This would help in that situation, so there'd be no addiction.
No they do not want to stop, you know nothing.

I love my drugs, I am not dependent on them however, I haven't taken anything for months.

People that want to get off but can't are a sad minority that knowingly worked themselves to that point, purely from being ****ing retards.

Natural selection I say. Idiots.

drugs are never been healthy in the first place.
They are far safer than you think, alcohol in many cases is far worse. If everyone that got smashed drunk had a cone or 2 instead, the world would be a much more peaceful place.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
...Whoever told you Ethanol isn't a drug was lying. =o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom