Possibility of this suggestion?

๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I was thinking about something earlier and wanted to pitch it to everyone to see what their thoughts were on this suggestion:

Would it be at all possible for the dev team to release a demo of 1.3? I'm not talking about the outdated 1.3 beta; I mean a demo in the sort of typical sense, i.e. limited maps, limited characters, limited gameplay.

Limited maps = 1-2 maps
Limited characters = 3-4 characters
Limited gameplay = only a glimpse of the new melee system (if that would be at all possible and playable with the current number of glitches) and limited special attacks. Simple melee, simple ki blasts, 1 special maybe.

I'd like to think I am correct in assuming that, based on the latest videos and POTWs, the dev team has made a lot of progress. Do you think the users would be frustrated trying to play this type of demo I am proposing, i.e. would there even be too many glitches for us users to handle with this type of demo? I think a lot of people would be satisfied even if there were a lot of glitches in such a demo. Just being able to run the game and fly around a map would be a nice treat. You could consider releasing it near the winter holidays as a sort of present to us all. Then we would be too distracted playing around with it to worry about POTW updates and whatnot :p

Just a thought anyway.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
After finding out what a bad idea was to release ESF Open Beta: Final this won't happen.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
After finding out what a bad idea was to release ESF Open Beta: Final this won't happen.
Open beta wasn't a bad idea, you guys were just lazy XD

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
And a bunch of ingrates.

๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
The problem with Open Beta: Final was that it really wasn't all that different from 1.2.3 (except for melee, i suppose).

Right now it appears that there are MAJOR differences between 1.2.3 and the development of 1.3. 1.3 seems like an almost entirely different DBZ game, like one that belongs on a console (except less mundane).

Also, I bet a lot of users had too many expectations (any expectations are too many for a beta/test release) and when they saw how there wasn't much difference between the beta and 1.2.3 aside from the melee and leveling up (which a lot of hardcore users saw as bad), they bailed and went back to 1.2.3 and whined about it.

Also, Open Beta: Final was practically full-featured. What I'm proposing is literally a demo/sneak preview release which will help stave off any growing impatience among users. The videos and POTWs are nice, but this would be nicer of course haha.

Just the visual improvements and eye candy are awesome enough to goof around with a demo release for a long time.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem with Open Beta: Final was that it really wasn't all that different from 1.2.3 (except for melee, i suppose).

Right now it appears that there are MAJOR differences between 1.2.3 and the development of 1.3. 1.3 seems like an almost entirely different DBZ game, like one that belongs on a console (except less mundane).

Also, I bet a lot of users had too many expectations (any expectations are too many for a beta/test release) and when they saw how there wasn't much difference between the beta and 1.2.3 aside from the melee and leveling up (which a lot of hardcore users saw as bad), they bailed and went back to 1.2.3 and whined about it.

Also, Open Beta: Final was practically full-featured. What I'm proposing is literally a demo/sneak preview release which will help stave off any growing impatience among users. The videos and POTWs are nice, but this would be nicer of course haha.

Just the visual improvements and eye candy are awesome enough to goof around with a demo release for a long time.
Open Beta was never supposed to be different from 1.23. They just started working on it and wanted to share every step. So that we could give useful insight about how to make it better, not complain like we did. I haven't tried the latest Beta but from what i did try, there wasn't any melee.

Final is, in a way, in the same stages as Open Beta. Filled with Bugs and missing content. It would take them additional time to optimize it, bug test it and what not. In the end if they miss a few things, we'd still complain. Even if you exclude those from the forums, there are many others who might come to expect the demo to be a near final build of the game, even if its not.

Am not just pointing you out p4. This for all those who want some pre-release content. I'd rather the team work continuously in their practiced routine. And wouldn't it be much better to play the entire game once its released instead having your thirst dowsed bit by bit.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The only reason there was an Open Beta was cause it was leaked.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The only reason there was an Open Beta was cause it was leaked.
There were talks about an Open Beta before that. The leak thing was just the last push.

As for making the current inteam into an open beta. Not gonna happen. The shaders are unoptimized, its filled with bugs and crashes. So unless you want to play a game that runs on 0 to 60 FPS with the number jumping round like a puddle, that crashes quite often and most of the characters just stand there shooting beams out of their crotch, id suggest you wait.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega's entirely right. FPS seems to vary a lot, it's very easy to cause a major drop and crashes (whilst less frequent now) still happen a fair amount of the time. Balance is also absent, there are bound to be things still in which made beam-spamming look fun. Plus there's the fact it would take forever and a day to distribute in its current format, updating to the latest build isn't fun when one of the team replaces a few hundred files ^^. It's a big folder.

There's also the secret stuff the team haven't shown the public yet, you don't want to spoil the surprise do you :p?

Best answers
There were talks about an Open Beta before that. The leak thing was just the last push.

As for making the current inteam into an open beta. Not gonna happen. The shaders are unoptimized, its filled with bugs and crashes. So unless you want to play a game that runs on 0 to 60 FPS with the number jumping round like a puddle, that crashes quite often and most of the characters just stand there shooting beams out of their crotch, id suggest you wait.
Don't care. Would play this all day long. Still better than 1.2.3. I know many others think the same.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't care. Would play this all day long. Still better than 1.2.3. I know many others think the same.
So how come the Open Beta was hated so much. It had quite a few new features compared to 1.2.3

The jump between 1.2.3 and the Open Beta is about equal as the jump from 1.1 to 1.2

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
So how come the Open Beta was hated so much. It had quite a few new features compared to 1.2.3

The jump between 1.2.3 and the Open Beta is about equal as the jump from 1.1 to 1.2
Because most of the ppl here are graphics whores. Give em over the top bloom, fancy shiny shaders, blur, water "like ice" shaders and they'll drool over it. Remove all that and revolutionize the gameplay and they'll boo you for lousy graphics...

Mk4

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Because most of the ppl here are graphics whores. Give em over the top bloom, fancy shiny shaders, blur, water "like ice" shaders and they'll drool over it. Remove all that and revolutionize the gameplay and they'll boo you for lousy graphics...
lol. graphics whores idd.
I also recall alot of people asking for a demo of 1.2 before it was released :)
but good things are worth waiting for

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You might not care, we do. People. Will. Complain.

A lot.

Regardless of how much you guys want to play 1.3, if they release it now, it will be full of bugs. And people will complain. Why? Well, it's in their nature I guess. ESF 1.3 Open Beta had all kind of fancy graphics going on, and it wasn't the gameplay that made people quit the game, it was the terrible amount of bugs (which incidentally, was the exact reason of releasing 1.3). Releasing it now would make absolutely no point. While you might tell us now that you will play the game regardless, as soon as you actually start playing the game while having it crash every 10 minutes, you will undoubtedly come here to complain about the bugs. Everyone will.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Well he made a suggestion - so when game comes to the part where you can roam around without worrying it will crash then maybe demo would be good...

If there comes to a release of a demo - it would be wise to release only one map (randomly made) that wont be in final release at all, 3-4 chars (old characters close to the quality of current ones - you have to have some "fail" models in directory) max and half of a final gameplay (don't wanna spoil the fun for finals) and that's it :)

Its a lot of work to make a demo but if it will benefit you in a "respect" way from consumers, and if we deserve something, then why not? :) - after all you are making this ,in a way, for us :)

After all its just to show how game will be - so nothing from current should be released...

P.S. - I'm for not releasing anything until final release :) (was just objective)

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Its a lot of work to make a demo but if it will benefit you in a "respect" way from consumers, and if we deserve something, then why not? :) - after all you are making this ,in a way, for us :)
We aren't consumers, we'r fans. The team is making this as much for themselves as for us. Besides, what good will that respect do now, on an unfinished game, when they could be applauded all over the inernetz when they release it completely.

After all its just to show how game will be - so nothing from current should be released...
Contradiction in you statement.

P.S. - I'm for not releasing anything until final release :) (was just objective)
My reply is for people who want a pre-release.

๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I was never asking them if they could release 1.3 as it currently is; I was inquiring on whether or not it would be feasible to release a relatively playable/tolerable DEMO of what 1.3 currently is now, or what it will be near the end of December/before the New Year. A DEMO in this context would only include 1-2 maps and 3-4 characters as well as any gameplay features that have no or minimal bugs.

From what I'm reading, this would not be possible currently. I didn't realize how buggy the current builds actually are. I guess I was too excited by how seamless and "pretty" all of the POTWs and video previews were :p

You can close this thread if you want to since I've received the appropriate answers to my questions. I don't want this to get more derailed than it already is, with various people thinking this is another "GIVE US A RELEASE OF WHAT THE WHOLE GAME IS RIGHT NOW" threads. I was looking for a compromise which I'm finding out might not be a good idea for us users in the short- and long-term.

Thanks though! I look forward to tearing **** up at the new cell games with all of the new visual goodness that will spew forth from my monitor, drowning me in a sea of eye candy and glorious kamehameha waves. UghHhHghHGhghghhgHGHghhghghgh

Close this whenever you wish, mods.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well its like this. Creating a seperate build for a demo would mean the same amount of work as creating a full release. If we focus everything on the demo, then sure we can do it. But itll only mean the final release will take longer because of the time spent on the demo.

Best answers
I had to go find my login and pass just for this thread.

I think the biggest reason people were upset with the Open Beta was that (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off my memory, and I'm a bit of an alcoholic ;) ) it was released a few years after 1.2.3. At least a year or two. Most people (myself included) expected a little bit more to be different. Again, not that we should, or have any right to demand anything even BE done, but still, after years relatively nothing was changed. I think that was why most the community was upset.

That being said, I wouldn't want a demo. I do have the utmost faith that the team will deliver something amazing whenever they get around to delivering it. I've lost track of how many years it's been since 1.2.3 was released, but going from my previous post it must be at least 7. That's a long time. But I'd rather not have a demo just for that reason. There's certain expectations to be filled with that amount of time, and we'd all rather see a finished product then a glimpse at it.

Plus less time working on demo = more time working on game = sooner release. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom