Poor UT3 / Crisis

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I'm glad their finally making games for more powerful systems just means you kiddies need to save them dollars and build up your computer to run the games. Hell I still say virtual reality is where its going to be at in another 10 years but until that technology comes available to the home user we will just have to endure the money to upgrade our systems to run these better more high graphical games.

Sorry but you know what I'm tired of seeing the same crappy textures, crappy maps and models that almost all games before these have been I want new and Crysis gives that so does Call of Duty 4 which is a beautiful game. Have yet to pick up UT3 though its going to be soon thats for sure cause I'm not going to let my nice system go to waste haha.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's fine and dandy, but no one wants to buy a new PC every six months, or upgrade every 2. Them pushing the hardware with games no one can run forces someone to do this.

I'm not saying don't make games have good graphics, I'm saying draw a limit somewhere. The problem might actually be optimization, since Half-Life 2 runs amazingly well on my PC and looks fantastic.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think your mixing the numbers around. I bought a 7900gt year and half ago and it was still doing the trick till of course the memory on the video ram went for the poop do to some internal overheating issues but the case being if that were not the problem I would still have it but now I got a nice evga 8800gts. That being said its not ever 1-2 months you NEED to upgrade your system to run these beautiful games maybe once every year - year and a half?

If you don't like upgrading your pc then just stick to console gaming theres the solution. Buy a new console every 5 years but mind you the PC will always be ahead of the console just cause its easier to bring out new parts to run these better games then it is to change the whole internal system of a console.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a PC gamer. If you're advocating people like me, people who buy PC games that they can run, go to consoles, then you're advocating everyone but the apparent 80,000 people that can run Crysis go to console gaming, which would subsequently result in the death of PC gaming.

Seriously, 80,000 people bought Crysis. That's bad. I'm not alone.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who knows maybe those 80,000 people are having a blast well everyone who cannot or does not want to upgrade loses out on the fun to be had?

That being said they will drop the price point and it will sell more copies you watch happens to most pc games.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has nothing to do with the price of a 50 dollar game, it has to do with people not wanting to spend 200+ to just play the said 50 dollar game.

I have a fairly good PC. A year and a half old. I don't even want to try running some of the new games out, there's no way in hell my PC will run them on any setting that will even look decent. It's a trend that needs to end.

For the record, games sell the majority of their copies within the first month of release. It's extremely rare for there to be a game that sells well after the first month or two.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm one of those 80,000 people. Anyone who decided not to play the game isn't missing out on anything. The game does absolutely nothing new. What made people excited about the game was how realistic and pretty it was supposed to be. If everyone is playing it on low to medium, that concept flies right out the window and it becomes far cry all over again, not that that's a bad thing, but we have a far cry already and I'm over it.

Dropping the price point of a game doesn't suddenly make it playable on normal hardware, so I don't see how that's going to help.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I mean, I understand where you're coming from Phobius, but come on man. Their pushing the envelope for a few thousand people and leaving everyone else out in the cold.

Although I personally hate the game, people need to steal from WoW. How many copies has that game sold? How much money have people spent just to be able to play it? And how good are the graphics?

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't find WoW all that great when I played it. I play a lot of first person shooters on the pc and like I said when I played crysis which was on a high setting the game looked beautiful which is what I want.
With the expansiveness of the game the grass, the bushes the tree's everything had life and when you proned to hide in the grass you could actually blend into it quite well where as most games don't have that ability to do so and you usually get stuck out in some open terrain getting blasted or stuck behind a poorly constructed environment model.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess everyone else decided pretty grass wasn't worth upgrading for, or worth shelling out $50+ dollars. When it comes down to it, Crysis is actually very linear. Yes, you can go left instead of right, or high instead of low, but you're going in the same direction nonetheless and on delta, you're usually going to go for the safe route. I spent 90% of that game camouflaged and crouching towards or away from enemies and towards the objective. That wasn't fun for me. It was slow and it was tedious. I was playing on high without aa, and I really didn't find the game to be nearly as gorgeous as it was made out to be. Is it worth upgrading for? Not by a long shot, especially when you have CoD4 out there with an immersive single player campaign and a highly enjoyable multiplayer campaign. It also doesn't hurt that CoD4 is beautifully optimized and runs like butter on most machines.

But yeah, 80,000 sales makes Crysis a flop.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Crysis requires a $600 system to run properly. That plus the time and money of a new operating system for these DX10 games, driver updates and configuration...might as well get a ps3 or xbox360.

Now I'm not saying the developers time and money are wasted since their main goal was to create a new engine for nextgen platforms. The Cry and Unreal engines will be successful, even though the developers own game was not. These engines will be whored on the nextgen console, the Unreal engine is already being whored and older versions of it were whored more than most people know.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure I would buy more games if I weren't so addicted to WoW. If I were to buy anything right now though, it would probably be UT3. It seemed like something that wouldn't get boring fast.

The world of console gaming seems even less exciting. There just haven't been many games that make me want a console.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Out of the big titles out recently, only Call of Duty 4 made me salivate. ET Quake Wars was nice but it was essentially BF2142 without fail and lose. I already played that game though, and I found it tedious at best. Crysis . . . I was in the closed beta for that, and it never ran right on my system once. That convinced me that any price involved with playing it was not worth it, especially after Far Cry came with Starforce attached. Sorry, but they have issues that mere game design won't fix alone. At least Crysis didn't have anything that malignant in the installer. I have never been a fan of Unreal. Ever. Whenever it was big, I was busy with HL, Doom, Quake: nothing about that game convinced me I should do otherwise as it's precisely the type of FPS I hate.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you don't like upgrading your pc then just stick to console gaming theres the solution.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. Maybe I just have a crappy computer, but the crashes, freezes, lag, space occupation, and others is what keeps me to console games. But, for the most part, the upgrading is just so the game runs decently/looks nice. I run City of Heroes above average, but there is always a want to have the highest setting.

But I guess it depends on your preference. I seldom play games on the computer, so I the idea of upgrading at least twice a year doesn't appeal to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm tired of this bull, with all the upgrading and crappy games. I haven't seen a good new game for ages. The closest I can come to that is the GTA series. They're always focusing on the pretty graphics, and seem to disregard that we need better gameplay, not better graphics. I would kill, or at least maim for a game like Deus Ex (no, not Invisible War, that game was horrible) these days.

Graphics are nice to a point. I want innovative games with good to decent graphics. Then I'll go out and buy a ton-load, because I'm not afraid that the games will suck and be over-rated.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm tired of this bull, with all the upgrading and crappy games. I haven't seen a good new game for ages. The closest I can come to that is the GTA series. They're always focusing on the pretty graphics, and seem to disregard that we need better gameplay, not better graphics. I would kill, or at least maim for a game like Deus Ex (no, not Invisible War, that game was horrible) these days.

Graphics are nice to a point. I want innovative games with good to decent graphics. Then I'll go out and buy a ton-load, because I'm not afraid that the games will suck and be over-rated.
QFT, QFT indeed...

The graphics of a game aren't enough for some persons, for example i'd rather buy/play Thief 3 right now than paying for Crysis.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Crysis rules. The only people complaining are those who can't play it, to whom I say too bad, buy a better PC and keep up with technology. Sucks to be you if you can't, but that's how things work. You either keep up, or fall behind, the same as it's always been, only now technology is moving faster (for which I'm grateful). If you can't afford it, then don't. It's up to you, but complaining about it isn't going to do anybody any good. However, if you've got it, flaunt it. Crysis is silky smooth on this machine. I thought it was simply great. Nice graphics, an okay story, great gameplay (except maybe for the AI), nice immersion (depth of field, detailed environments, sick animations). I loved almost every minute of it.

I haven't played UT3 yet, because Unreal Tournament has never really been my kind of game. I played 2004 and was hooked on it for about a week, and then I got bored. I never liked any UT game before 2004... The only reason I might grab UT3 is so I can flaunt my PhysX card, as I hear there are some nice effects to be seen with one (****ing tornadoes! :devgrin:).

Oh and by the way, it's Crysis, not Crisis.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a dual core machine with two gigs of ram and an x1900xt, I could in theory handle it just fine. The problem was buggy server browser software, I was never even able to connect to the damn beta test games, lol.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Crysis rules. The only people complaining are those who can't play it, to whom I say too bad, buy a better PC and keep up with technology. Sucks to be you if you can't, but that's how things work. You either keep up, or fall behind, the same as it's always been, only now technology is moving faster (for which I'm grateful). If you can't afford it, then don't. It's up to you, but complaining about it isn't going to do anybody any good. However, if you've got it, flaunt it. Crysis is silky smooth on this machine. I thought it was simply great. Nice graphics, an okay story, great gameplay (except maybe for the AI), nice immersion (depth of field, detailed environments, sick animations). I loved almost every minute of it.

I haven't played UT3 yet, because Unreal Tournament has never really been my kind of game. I played 2004 and was hooked on it for about a week, and then I got bored. I never liked any UT game before 2004... The only reason I might grab UT3 is so I can flaunt my PhysX card, as I hear there are some nice effects to be seen with one (****ing tornadoes! :devgrin:).

Oh and by the way, it's Crysis, not Crisis.
As I said before, I'm playing the game on high. There's nothing spectacular about it. It's far cry with a suit. Instead of mutated apes, we have aliens. Hooray. The story was mediocre at best, the only "innovative" thing I can say about the game play is it's nice to throw people and watch shacks explode, and while the graphics are nice, it isn't enough to make me forget about everything else. It's an average game with pretty colors. I really don't understand how people can say the game is revolutionary when it really does absolutely nothing new other than exist on a new engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom