please help, this is buggin the hell outta me

Best answers
u know the "maxplayers" command? well mine is stuck at 32, which causes immense lag when so many people are on at once... i tried to change it in-game.. it said it couldnt while the server was running, ok fine.. so i disconnect the server, open console and type "maxplayers 8", then when i run the server, still sais maxplayers is 32.. wtf? can anyone help me out cuz it really bugs me

Best answers
What type of server are you running, listen or dedicated? Steam or WON?

If its a listen server then when you go to create server there is an option for the amount of players. (Just looked on Steam for creating a listen server but seems you can only create a local one :S. I can't set hostname or maxplayers like you do with WON...)

For a dedicated server you need to define the maxplayers in the command line. For example on WON I have "E\HLServer\hlds.exe" -port 27016 -game esf +maxplayers 6 +map esf_cell_day -console. Not sure about Steam but you get the idea. I havn't created a Steam server on Windows, only on Linux.

Best answers
its a STEAM / LISTEN server.. i can do it fine on dedicated but thats doesnt help =/ .. and i dont have WON anymore.

Best answers
Thats the same problem I've been having...
Really anoying because when I join my own dedicated server, there is so much lag u cant imagine

Best answers
Mr.Crabs said:
Thats the same problem I've been having...
Really anoying because when I join my own dedicated server, there is so much lag u cant imagine
Thats why you don't host a dedicated server and join it on the same PC. I have tried it before and your right the lag is bad, its worse than having a 300 ping.

I can't understand why you can't create a listen server like you do on WON. Although its not very often I create a listen server, its still annoying that I don't know how to on Steam. This also means there will be less servers on Steam.

Best answers
dude, i use to host a ded server, and i played in it on the same comp that i host it on, and i had like 10-20 ping, u should be able to set ur max players b4 u create a listening server... if not u can always go into ur esf folder and put maxplayers "8" in the listenserver.cfg file

Best answers
Either you put maxplayers "8" into your listenserver.cfg, or you put maxplayers "8" into your console, then restart the server. The server doesn't automatically change its preferences with commands that can be accessed by the master server. Instead you have to restart the server, not by leaving and rejoining but restart it while your in the server

I.E - to do this just type, restart, in your console.

Best answers
I have tried it before and your right the lag is bad, its worse than having a 300 ping.
If you have a pentium 4 and a dsl or greater your ping should be no more than 10 or 20. Most likely your using steam's preset dedicated server which is pretty crappy. I recommend downloading a seprate dedicated server (HLDS) and use that server instead. All you have to do is set up an account through that server (which has to be different than your steam acount, no cd key) and copy and past ESF into its counter folder, and walla, lag free server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom