PlayStation 3

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing 2 or 3 weeks of work can't handle.

I'm definately getting the PS3 (probably the $600 version).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering I just bought new computer parts that came out to 900 bucks, money won't be an issue for me. I might get the 600 version as well. Ps3 is going to be super amazing.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll probably be getting the $600 version--it has HDMI, so I can use it on my monitor with an HDMI-> DVI cord, at 1080p.

It is very expensive. But.. considering it won't be out for quite some time, I don't think I'll have a problem finding the money.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I plan on getting it, get me a summer job, I see no reason why I couldn't raise $600+ before the end of November. I'll be going fpr the 60 gb version, no wi-fi support kind of defeats the purpose of PS3 internet for me.

But PS3 will play on non-HDTVS, right?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PS3 looks pretty sweet, and I will eventually get one. Though I doubt I will be getting one on launch. It's not the fact that I can't afford it, it's the fact that I just don't want to pay $700+ (canadian dollars) for one. To me, that's just too much money I'm willing to spend for games and stuff, and when you start adding on controllers and games and stuff, it gets even more.

So ya, I will be getting one, but I will probably wait it out until the price drops and it gets a solid library of good games. I'll be able to handle the wait with a Wii and 360.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ouch ouch ouch. Man, I was really looking forward to getting the PS3 too =/ But I'm sorry, I just don't have that kind of money to spend. $500 USD? Outrageous.
ROFL. Did you not hear the rumors? This price is way below what I was expecting, and the base model even comes with a hard drive (MS, you ****ed up). It actually made me consider getting it... for a minute.

Hash, the base one is only ~$560 with this lovely exchange rate. But did I read that right that only the pricier one has the HD capabilities?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
ROFL. Did you not hear the rumors? This price is way below what I was expecting, and the base model even comes with a hard drive (MS, you ****ed up). It actually made me consider getting it... for a minute.

Hash, the base one is only ~$560 with this lovely exchange rate. But did I read that right that only the pricier one has the HD capabilities?
Rumours? What rumours? They've been saying that they guess it will be anywhere from 500-600 USD from the start. I'm not sure where you're getting your info.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
500 - 600 is a rediculous amount of money to spend on a game console. Their digging their own graves.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With so many people not hesitating to slam down the money for a PS3?

Not a chance. If Sony had asked $1000, people would still have bought it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pre-ordered 6 today at work ready for x-mas

ill sell 5 on ebay and use the profit to pay for the last one for myself :p

now THATS forward thinking (i dont have to pay for them if i dont want them hehe).

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
With so many people not hesitating to slam down the money for a PS3?

Not a chance. If Sony had asked $1000, people would still have bought it.
Ofcourse people will buy it, the fanboys. If Sony wants to stay in first place, they need to get the casual gamers, the people that made their first system such a big success (Do you have any idea how many people bought a PS2 just for madden?) to buy their system. That won't be happening with the price they're currently asking.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
pre-ordered 6 today at work ready for x-mas

ill sell 5 on ebay and use the profit to pay for the last one for myself :p

now THATS forward thinking (i dont have to pay for them if i dont want them hehe).
sell your shares on the stock market :O

Best answers
Sub said:
That's hilarious-- people are going to be really suprised to see that Sony won't be nearly as successful with their gaming console this time around. And the price is just one of those reasons. It sucks that im going to have to wait for a price drop, which should take about 2 to 3 years, just to see a decent one that meets my payment standards. Maybe if i start saving now, i'll get lucky.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That article is a double-edged sword. Admittedly they're asking for twice the launch price of the PS2, but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll lose out because of it:

Kutaragi speaks from experience. The PlayStation 2's launch price of $299 in 2000 was considered outlandish by many, and yet the console has gone on to sell more than 100 million units.
They're not saying they're going to increase the price any more, just emphasizing that what you're getting for your money is cheap when you consider what's in the box (Blu-ray, HDMI, Bluetooth, Cell processor etc).

There's also the issue that the 60gb HDD models ($600) were stated to be down to the retailer to price, so hopefully retail competition will bring the price nearer to it's $500 brother.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish I could drop $600+ on a whim.

I'm already throwing enough money around these days at is. This is how much money I'll have spent by the time PS3 comes out.

Rent: $375x6 (and I'm not even moving back until September) = $2250
Tuition: $2500 around September.
Text books: $600
Utilities/Food/Bills: $300x3 = $900

So basically, between now and the PS3 release date, I'm dropping $6250, and that doesn't include leisure spending. Not to mention, that I have to spend all that again in second semester.

I don't think a PS3 fits into my budget anymore.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to work for my Wii then buy a new PC afterwords.
No PS3 or XBOX 360 for me, I'll probably fit a Nintendo DS|Lite after the Wii too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
There's also the issue that the 60gb HDD models ($600) were stated to be down to the retailer to price, so hopefully retail competition will bring the price nearer to it's $500 brother.
I believe that was only in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom