Playstation 3 Price Drop by $100

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1564256/20070709/index.jhtml

Well this is good I suppose. Even though I have a Playstation 3, That $499 looks a lot more appealing than $599. For a game console, harddrive, internet browser, DVD player, Blu-ray player, and many Ps2/ps1 compatible games to be $100 more than the 360, should warrant some sales.

I was hoping this would stomp out the PS3 hate. I just told somebody about this and he said PS3 will still lag behind for the rest of this video game generation (he's 15 and loves 360, so I don't take any fanboy's, PS3 or 360, opinion seriously).

What sucks is that currently, the Playstation 3 is basically doing what the 360 does, sometimes more, but then sometimes not quite as polished (frame rate issues, online play, to name some). Plus, the 360 has much more games than the PS3. The majority of people don't own an HDTV, so blu-ray is useless to them, and with the recent trend of game going multi console, it's going to be tough for it to stand out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like to mention that this has only been confirmed for the US, not yet for any of the other territories.

If they don't drop the price in Europe as well, then I can see Sony missing out on many, many sales.

I might get one for 500, if they dropped the price.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have an HDTV, so next gen console gaming is bloody useless for me (unless that 19" LCD I plan on getting has the right inputs? I hate being too bloody clueless to know these things, and too bloody lazy to bother looking up these things...), but a price drop like this does make the console somewhat less undesirable. Still, if I had this kind of cash burning a hole in my pocket (and it's looking like it's going to be a lean fall...) I'd probably just put it into an upgrade fund for my computer, I could buy a new GPU and a BluRay drive at that cost.

Or I'd spend it on booze. Seriously, my beer fund could always use a little deepening. Being an engineering student is thirsty work!

Best answers
I've been holding off on my ps3 purchase due to the prize, if they decide to cut the prize in europe aswell i'll sure as hell get it the minute they do.

If not, then i'll grab myself a 360 and stick to that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well maybe the PS3s at walmart will be dusted off, but I don't think they're going anywhere. That's still $500, and after getting a game and another controller there's another $120...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I can certainly say that the price of the PS3 certainly sounds more appealing on the lower end of the grand-theft spectrum. As luck would have it, I JUST got a 50-inch Plasma screen TV today. I still don't plan on getting a next gen. system until some seriously irresistable exclusives come out, but when the times comes I'll be prepared :)

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is rumoured that the price could drop drop again.

The only thing I'm LOLing about is the $1.15 billion Microsoft is going to spend on all those XBox 360's people have been replacing.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Microsoft's own fault for publishing the 360 way too fast.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
At least they are doing something about it. Sony had to lose a Class Action lawsuit to fix the DRE problems it had.

The 100 off the PS3 sounds a lot better, but I'll still wait till it has something on it I want to play.....really bad.

Best answers
Ha, PS3 is still 'meh'.

There's no game on it that has me caring about it. Not only that, but the price is ridiculous, even if it's 500 dollars.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh...I still think, taking in all the media features PS3 has, that $500 is a great deal, if you don't already have a dvd/blu ray player/or lack an HD TV and what not.

I remember the 360 not interesting me because the game line up did not interest me. PS3's library ain't that great either (and if one more person says "Lair", no matter how awesome it looks, I will murder them).

The Wii is popping games out like Crazy it seems, but I put Wii in it's own league. Not that it's better or worst, just far more different than 360 and PS3. This leads to people constantly comparing PS3 and 360, and since 360 came out earlier, it makes PS3's library and known upcoming games look unacceptably small.

I honestly think if the PS3 and 360 were released closer to each other, things would have been different.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's one step forward and a giant lurch back as Sony is poised to pull the plug on their 60GB PlayStation 3. You know, the same PlayStation 3 that they generously shaved $100 dollars from earlier this week.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, SCEE president David Reeves casually mentioned the end of the 60GB model when asked if they would offer the European market a lower priced model, as SCEA did here in the States.

"Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD $599 version with one game."

Reeves goes on to say that SCEA marked it down to move and that once it's gone, it's gone. When asked for the dreaded confirmation as to if this was the end of the 60GB model, Reeves replied "In America, yes."

Now don't you feel silly for quitting that second job.

Joystiq

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait...What?

If that's true, then the price drop didn't make any sense. People care about a cheaper console, not more memory than you need and a launch game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom