PlayStation 3 Elite Rumoured

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not shortly after the X360 Elite, Sony make some changes to the PS3 for future models;

Kotaku said:
In a filing dated earlier this month, Sony contacted the US Federal Communications Commission to request a "Class II permissive change" to the PLAYSTATION 3. This was done in accordance with changes to the included Bluetooth antenna and came from the Sony Corporation's Product Quality Office.

While FCC filings are generally dry as dust, this one has an interesting addition. A new PLAYSTATION 3 model (CECHE01) with an 80GB hard disk was listed as an additional inclusion to the original FCC grant. The two current model numbers CECHA01 and CECHB01 specify the 60GB and 20GB versions, respectively.

A 20GB jump from the top of the line PLAYSTATION 3 seems like an odd additional SKU, but we've seen stranger things happen.

Could this new hard disk represent a totally new model or simply a storage upgrade? Will the 80GB PS3 at some point become the lower-end model? We've heard in the past from inside sources that the Ken Kutaragi was pushing for the introduction of a 250GB model PS3, so future models of the console may feature increased storage. We'll be contacting Sony in the morning to gather additional details.

Shot of the filing is right after the jump. Thanks to Colin for the heads up.
Source: Kotaku

An improvement to the internal Bluetooth and a 20gb increase in HDD size isn't exactly on par with the X360E's additions, but there might be more added later. I read on another forum that the reason behind the new Bluetooth module is so that it can send/recieve rumble data, should Sony wish to create PS3 controllers with rumble functionality now that their lawsuit with Immersion is resolved. This is just a forum rumour though, no factual backing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good, at least they won't fall off from the console wars so easily when they get some more in to it /sarcasm off

Best answers
I don't understand your logic Legendary... an "Elite" PS3 will be much more expensive. As it stands, the price is the main reason Sony is losing the console war.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
woops, i forgot to put /sarcasm off, sorry about that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really understand why they'd add greater disc space.

Doesn't the thing need extra RAM more than anything else?

It's got Blu-Ray, which potentially is great for uber high-res textures, but apparently, its RAM isn't nearly enough to actually render a decently sized world with such high-res textures. I could be wrong about this, it's just what I've heard.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it'd happen, it's not needed atleast. Sony already spinned the 360 elite version stated that every PS3 is the 'elite version', no one gets shortchanged.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes Sony, that's why people aren't buying your console, the hard drive isn't big enough.

...morons.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's magnificent idea to come out with a system, with the same subtitle as another, then lets add a smaller harddrive, that makes it even better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It happened a couple of days before April 1st so I doubt that.

Besides, if Sony were going to AF the public i'm sure it would've been something better than 20gb extra HDD's. Like a built in EyeToy that doubles as a retinal scanner =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom